Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

oh serious? lol I dont know much about down south shows. Just remember seeing some photos once a upon a time ago of some very hair show horses. They werent just ponies lol remember one girl putting her hand in her tb's coat to show how deep his coat was. He was just pulled form the paddock washed and dried so was very fluffy!

Wish the wings on my boy ears would help him run faster lol they will come off for the July show but no boning becuase he aint clipped and looks rather fluffy would look silly boned ears and not clipped.

2. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

I do get annoyed at the kids that insist on mothers and fathers tacking up horses etc. It was funny, about three years ago I had two horses at pc state showjumping champs and both parents had jobs all day, there was a few young girls in the same stable isle as me and all they did was rode the ponies I was like AHHHH what about me? lol.

I am a big lover of bling and I think that is a personal preference, some like it some don't.

I noticed lots of people don't like dogs. We do take our dog when we are camping away for the weekend, this is only because she is 10 and no one is home. BUT we keep he on the leash at all times and we keep her out of the way.

Another hate I have noticed is whips and spurs on children. I believe if they abuse the pony then they should not have them but if they can manage them then thats fine. Same with curb chain bits and double bridles.

I think thats it for me. Oh and never ever leave your horse/pony without water. And kids DON'T yell at your parents they try their hardest.

3. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

i HATE when in big classes at sj shows (50+), the marshall just decides not to follow a very clear draw that was put out at the start of the day

and youre prepped to go 4th or whatever, and you end up having to wait in the heat (January) untill 48th (not exaggerating)

and you arange with marshall to go next, warm up, and then they let someone else in

Nothing against vollies......just the ones who can't follow a draw:D

4. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I hear where you are coming from, but in reality, boning is just a trend like bling.

Its good to see that rules have now been changed so that Clydies born after a certain date CANNOT be shown if their tails have been docked. Think how many people would have been laughed out of the arena with a Clydie with a full tail before that date. Just cause its the fashion does not make it right.

In saying that, yes my boy was one of the ones that had his ears boned yesterday

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

dont know about clipping out ears in the hack ring being a fad:confused:....it has been done for the last 40 years that I know of :)*

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Boning out is actually a disgrace in Europe. In France, the Owner would be dealt with by Animal Welfare groups...but hey, we're not Europe, so let it continue ;)

I am not saying it's the worst of animal cruelty out there - but I don't see the necessity. I don't even think it looks nice MHO.

7. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

maybe if we develope some good sportsmanlike attitudes in our sport , then we can start to get rid of silly things that make no difference to the way the animal works...., i mean if we dont care about our fellow competitors then the animals dont stand a chance#(

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Just curious...but where exactly in Europe/France are there regulations prohibiting ear hair trimming?

Have never heard/read of it.

9. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

wen u think about it tho... it makes no difference to the way the animal works ...

10. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I agree Goodie, it is far beyond a fad or trend, bling has only come in dominantly in the last 5 - 10 years, ear clipping has been apart of proper show horse presentation for decades.

I wouldn't dream about taking a horse out with hairy ears, not even to a clinic, but hey that's just me, i'm sure there are loads the same though.

Like I said earlier I love my sport so I am not going to sit here and bag it out, if people dont like it, they know where the gate is :D **)

11. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

But if they where only judging the way the horse works we would be doing Dressage?

I think presentation is a huge part of what we do and that cannot be forgotten and needs to be respected.

Edited: I have a feeling I took your post the wrong way LB?

12. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I said trend not fad. Fad implies something fleeting. Bling will be around for many more years to come, perhaps forever.

Its has been the trend for how many hundreds of years that the way to start a horse is to forcefully tie it up, throw a saddle on it and get some idiot to jump on it and hold on for dear life??

That is a trend that is now fading.

Im not saying that its right or wrong, what Im saying is that I dont have an issue with people boning or not boning for shows. Its personal choice. Its up to them, and to ridicule them for making that choice for whatever their own personal reasons is not necessary.

As I said, I bone and I bling, but that is my choice and I dont have an issue with anyone that doesnt bling or doesnt bone.

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I don't care that I got attacked for saying I don't like boning *shrugs*, that person looked quite a bit silly in the end after all as they indulge in idle gossip lol.

TY!!!!! all for getting to 30 pages :D Awesome result!!!!

14. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

Wow! I had no idea a little bit of hair in a horse ears (or lack there-of) could be such a huge bone of contention in the show world. Shows I still have LOTS to learn. Personaly I dont like it (*ducks for cover*) but then Im not a hackie so it makes no difference to me one way or another. :p I would like to think, that apart from presentation/turnout classes , where apparently hair in the ears is a serious NO-NO, that for any of the other classes it shouldnt matter one iota whether a horse has hairy ears or not! Seriously, if a horse does a gorgeous workout and is everything it should be representing in its class, would it really matter if it had some natural fluff in its ears??? Just doesnt seem right to me, but like I said, Im not a showie :)*

15. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I don't think I look silly at all, I am providing the perspective of a judge and competitor in the show ring and I didn't agree with what you said so I told you.

Also Wattle, gossiping would mean that I have been telling people, I'm sorry to tell you but myself and my friends have much better things to talk about than you, beleive it or not, anyway I thought this was resolved but if you would like it to start again just give the nod.

16. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Don't know about bling being around forever :confused:...as much as I like it:)

We have gone through white, plain leather, gold/silver clinkers, ribbon and now bling. I think the Full bling has already past and a lot of people have gone back to ribbon.......so who knows what is next:confused:

*sorry QSS for the misquote....but if a trend is the way something turns/veers...we have been veering for a while now;)

17. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

I hate that people cannot bring themselves to smile and be cheerful at event. I don't care if you are nervous - you will feel better if you smile and at least pretend you want to be there and are having fun. Why bother going to events if you look like your favourite cat just died when you are in the saddle.

And while I'm at it, how about being polite to anyone and everyone there to help run the event you are in, from the people in the canteen, to someone who holds a gate for you, to the competitor before you leaving the ring, to the person at the starting gate, to the person warming up next to you who looks nervous.

The amount of times people leaving the ring before I go in look completely suprised if I say, well done, good round etc. Its as if being polite and friendly is just not expected any more.

Gah, maybe I'm just getting old.

18. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

well my fluffy ears grew wings at the races and won :) lol they must of helped him I swear

19. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

Mods are watching and keep the personal stuff off the forum!

20. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

lol, maybe I should re think my strategy.