Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Hmmm yes this is my pet hate too. Using them to jack in the horses head then bragging about how "on the bit" they are. IMHO doubles should definitely be banned in unofficial hack classes and maybe even for kids under 12 in official (or something to that effect...)

2. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Well said**), IMO if you can't control a horse in a snaffle on a single rein then you certainly aren't ready to be riding in a double. There is a difference between jammed down:mad: and " self carriage" where the horse is actually over the back and using it's 1/4's. But then you can't tell some people.

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

This is my pet peeve...but the other way;) I dont see why an educated horse and rider can't ride in double in unofficial (just because they are unofficial doesn't make them uneducated). A double, if used correctly is NOT a harsh bit. There will always be people that do not use it correctly in off and unoff#( Ditto with the child rider...IF they are taught to use it correctly**)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  4. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

yeah I mean all little kids In official and unofficial.

Educated rider yeah sure but little kids ... nope not unless they know what they are doing and are pretty experienced

5. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Or mums not smiling because bratty is grrring :(

Lack of warm up arena space and etiquette. A crammed warm up arena is never good, and rude or pushing riders aren't good to warm up around either! Especially if their horse pulls faces/kicks/bites/squeels at others

6. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

*shock horror!!!* laughed at for being...wait...no really? For being a HORSE? I'm not sorry in saying that that is pathetic. Nothing wrong with neatly trimmed ears, it's just a silly trend to clip them out. Lets not turn this into yet another ear clipping arguement though...

7. Raw Prawn

but they are so fun :p

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

No they are NOT fun :mad: and that comment from MPKG was addressed where it should be - in PM.

This thread is about airing showscene grievances, not having personal attacks....

Carry on :}

:p

9. Raw Prawn

Cant stand red ribbons in tails. It looks so tacky.

When at shows both pedestrians and other riders should treat ALL horses as if they would kick. All horses will kick if pushed hard enough.

The number of rude children who rode up my mares butt on the weekend.... they need to learn some show ettiquette.

10. Raw Prawn

Sorry wattle - was meant to be sarcastic....didnt quite come across right!

11. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Maybe pony clubs need to re-address what red ribbons are for.

We put one in our mare's tail just to STOP kids riding up her a$$ - kids ignored it, Instructor treated her like a leper :mad:

She's never kicked out, we were TRYING to be preventative :(

12. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Sorry too Raw Prawn, there are some volatile viewpoints but it's been quite interesting!

PS You're hot (topical) property atm lol

13. Raw Prawn

Arent I always :} Not bad for someone who generally like to keep to themselves! Thats why Im always on a damn forum!

14. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Again!!! dogs at shows...I fell in love with the PA person at Log Fence today who called the Ranger :p

People who do not get off their horses mouths and then wonder why said horse is agitated *#)

Riders who do not know rules for their comps. Gear check BEFORE warmups!!! Do NOT get uppity with your gear checker - they didn't make the rules :p

15. myponies

myponies Guest

Here here the PA announce needs a medal, or packet of tim tams.**) A+++ . Shame people are silly ( or ignorant ) enough to keep taking dogs to horse shows and not respecting anyone else#(

16. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I stand by my comment, was at the Winter Gala yesterday and ALL horses had boned out ears, seriously if you where going under an eastern states judge I actually think it is borderline rude not to clip out there ears, IMHO it is untidy and unproffessional to have unclipped ears, as we have already seen on this thread the vast majority of hackies will agree with me, perhaps that is my "showing grievance", horses with ears not clipped.

As a whole I love my sport so I'm not gonna bag it out, I take the bad with the good and get on with it. SHOWING IS FUN!!! :D

17. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

with this ear clipping thing... Wouldnt you guys freek at a winter woolies show where you show natural fluffy ears and all lol

Ive got one thats got wings growing out of his ears his ear tuffs are that long lol

18. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Oh I have the earhair of all ear hair , and its on a weanling!!!
    Seriously anyone that has seen her will tell you she has forelocks growing out of her ears.

I clip my horses ears out if they are stabled, however i tend to leave a bit at the bottom if they are paddock preped, yes ear hair provides a purpose, but a show animal is just tht and should be finished off! IMHO

How man beach models do you see in winter with unshaved legs because its cold and windy - Not many, I doubt most models have a choice in how they are prepared either!

19. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

haha shiobhan cuuute!
    i hate boned out ears. but i'm not going to go there :)
    I ride Rahni in a flash Shandeh. Because he opens his mouth, and if we are doing proper dressage training, turning a decent 10m circle with his mouth open is a struggle.
    Saying that, Rahni goes straight off body weight. Now, if i want a ten metre circle, all I have to do is turn my shoulders, adjust my seat bones, and he's in a ten metre circle. The video you watched the other day of me riding him and him not turning was actually me not turning my shoulders. Every horse is different

I will quite happily jump on George :)p) and go for a gallop in a snaffle. Cause you sit up and he will slow his pace. But there is NO WAY you would find me galloping Renzo in a snaffle.. sorry Renzo!
    I know i would have no chance to stop, hence the use of a Dutch Gag. It's a safety precaution.

And you've said it yourself, you hate overfacing horses that aren't ready for something. Remember that when your jumping Latte. Only do as much as he's ready for :D

20. Raw Prawn

Ha last time I showed at the "winter woolies" I had a clipped riding pony with boned ears :) Only the welshies were woolie **)