Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Holy Crap Nic PMSL...as if you would or SHOULD change anything about the way you turn out your pony! :p

Still not boning my lad's ears....but probably will have to (peer pressure) do the babies when they get to show scene :( I don't have to like it tho :eek:

2. samm

samm Gold Member

Exactly ,it's optional and whether your horse is plaited or not will have no bearing on final placings apart from maybe a best presented class under any judge who is AHSA qualified .It certainly will not place a horse any higher if its plaited if the horse is not a true example of the breed anyway.
    (well not under me it wont anyway)

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  3. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Thanks Kaisi:D

IMHO once again a horse with a long free flowing mane & Tail looks awesome compared to one that is all plaited up :D

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thats good to know re the plaiting. :)*

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Totally agree ITP. To me, the condition of a flowing mane speaks for the health of the horse, and the management of it's owner.

6. chance23

chance23 New Member

My hates are adult children that are rude to their parents.
    Friends that are riding and use their friends as strappers while that friend is trying to ride and do their own thing as well.
    People who are rude about judges while they are in earshot lets get real you cant like every judge you come under but at least behave with decorum and that will earn you more respect than slagging judges off.
    When a horse has a red ribbon in its tail (LOL it kicks) but they still ride up your back end.
    Drama Queens they think life revolves around them build a bridge and get on with your riding. And for godsake smile it makes things so much easier.
    I have heaps more but everyone seems to be covering those quite well.

7. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

I'm not on the showing scene myself but every time I go to an equestrian event or a PC rally I'm surprised at the number of harsh bits and strong nosebands that are used. Today at the Busso SJ festival it seemed like a lot of the horses in the Horserail Arena were in grackle nosebands with some sort of harsh bit. There were a couple in grackle nosebands with snaffle bits, but my point is that the riders/owners of these horses see fit to put their horse in these harsh band-aid solutions. It's a topic that gets up people's noses, I know, but IMO a horse should be soft and responsive no matter what's on its head and in its mouth (or not in its mouth) and no matter what it's doing. I've ridden my fair share of hard-mouthed ponies (and ponies with dead sides from being kicked too many times) and it's not a pleasant experience compared to riding a well-educated horse that's soft, responsive and easy to handle.

I understand that some horses due to their education or their eagerness for their work are uncontrollable on a showjumping or cross country course unless they have these measures in place but I seriously doubt it's as high of a proportion as what I've seen. I've been to events where it seemed like literally every horse there was wearing a harsh bit or noseband or both.

IMO it's best to keep it simple, soft and easy if at all possible.

I admit I'm not a massive fan of boned ears or shaved muzzles but to each their own. Overly made-up horses aren't my thing either, or horses that have been prepared for a show by someone who doesn't know how to properly apply make-up to suit the horse. IMO a horse's performance and temperament is more important than its looks although I won't buy a horse that there's something I hate about it, especially something I can't do anything about, like an ugly head or an unattractive neck. In short, I look for the whole package - temperament, movement, good competition history or high potential, appearance, everything is important.

Mmm, I have to say there is one thing that gets me though. I was watching (and photographing) a showjumping day and there was one rider who was on a Standardbred that hadn't quite kicked the habit of pacing, jumping this horse over HUGE jumps - VERY bad idea, horses can't jump if they're pacing because it's too hard for them to co-ordinate their legs. Horse lapsed into a pace every so often during the round, by some miracle was back into canter before it had to jump next, but if it came up to the jump at the pace I can only imagine what might have happened.

My point in saying that is I really don't like it when people enter something they (or their horse, or both) are really not ready for, to the point of it being downright dangerous. Say you were jumping your horse 75cm at home and you entered it in a 150cm showjumping round. It's not fair on the horse and it can end in disaster which may be averted simply by waiting until the horse is ready. I don't think anyone would actually try such a stunt (don't know too many people who'd actually jump a 150cm round lol) but it's a bit like breaking in a horse and taking it in a ridden show the next day, it hasn't had time to consolidate the skills and knowledge it needs and probably doesn't even have the knowledge in the first place.

Long post, sorry, I get started on these things and I just don't shut up lol

8. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

shandeh i know what your saying here but putting a grackle on my boy in unavoidable, i still struggle to hold him x-country & show jumping maybe your post applies to ponies but when youv'e got a 650kg irishsporthorse powering along i think just a grakle on him is a kind option, i would understand if your talking about kids on ponies in the above situation but in reality it would be very unsafe,even dangerous for me to go out onto the crosscountry course with a different bridle/noseband on.

Oh and grakles are nicer than a hanovarian noseband with a flash for jumping as the grakle doesnt influence the horses breathing wheras the flash does because of its position on the nostrils :)

9. leah

leah Well-known Member

I think Ive seen the standy you may be talking about and he absolutly rips at jumping as has been competing at well over a metre for al least the last year.very successfully too. he is well educated on the flat.

10. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

I also use a grackle. my horse never gets strong.
    lol let me explain before you start hating.
    he does cross his jaw, which is the action that grackles were brought around to stop. he does it rarely, and only when he is being grumpy, and will chuck his little tanty. the noseband is nto done up anywhere near as tightly as it would be if he got strong at all, but it is enough that if he tries to do it, it will stop him. also grackles are better for xc i find, same reason as tilda with the breathing.
    I would be able to go out xc, sj, bush, anywhere in a halter and have no problem.
    also my annoyance, is people using hanoverian nosebands for the look. realistically, either you need the cavesson, a drop, or a grackle.. if your using them to stop the opening mouth... why not use a drop?
    very famous trainer had a big discussion on these somewhere..will see if i can find it.

11. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ok i know its grievances and all and its your own personal opinion but shandeh i understand what your saying about over facing horses in jumping (seen it where the rider could barely get over a 60cm course then went for the 80. cleared them just)

but you cant really comment on a horses jumping style unless you know the horse personally.

people proabably think my sisters pony isnt well trained on the flat etc because of how she jumps. i asure you she is and has evented a decent heights in her younger days.

she will go up to the jump almost touch her toes with her nose, spring up with her head in the air over the jump like a deer then on landing touch her toes again.

rarely refuses or knocks a fail as well. shes 13.2hh and 24 yrs old and jumps 65-90cm generally.

shes also got a wonky back leg :)

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Amber Sunday, in regards to horses in hanoverian nosebands... I think you will find a lot are in them because it is easier to find a nice hanoverian than any other style bridle! Although a few brands are bringing out some grackle noseband bridles now though :)* In fact at one stage it seemed that all you could buy was either a hanoverian or show cavesson!

I have one horse that is in a hanoverian (am planning on changing to a grackle just haven't gotten around to buying one yet lol) and the others are in cavessons. I don't like drops as 1) they are near impossible to buy now and 2) they don't always sit right. A hanoverian noseband put on correctly should not affect a horse's breathing, however most people put them on way too low and don't have the cavesson part done up tight enough to stop it slipping down.

Oh, and my horse in a hanoverian can be ridden without, it is just better to ride with as he can sometimes decide he knows better and the hanoverian stops us having a fight ;) He is only in a snaffle bit :)

13. droverchick

droverchick New Member

What cheeses me off .......

is when so called professional photographers, take months to put up hacking photos on their site!!! I'm sure you all know which outfit I am talking about.
    It's very frustrating watching other events such as BMX, PCAWA Showjumping Champs and ODE's go up within days of their event and we are still waiting for pics from a hack show a month a go, and another etc etc. GRRRRRRRR:mad:

14. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

You and me both!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

15. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

Sorry shandah, but I've done the snaffle thing and it bit me in the ass. I don't think you can really say anything until you've sat on the horse. Put my horse in a pelhem show jumping and he's soft and light and awesome. A snaffle, it's like steering a roadtrain around 10m circles with no brakes. Don't judge until you've sat on the horse!

I understand where you're coming from, about not every horse can be like that, but it's really heart breaking to wonder what people say behind your back about bitage, when some of us really do need it. I really hope people don't point at me and say nasty things, if they do, you're welcome to sit on him. Especially on one of his extra special I hate the world days. :)

16. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

A bit is only as strong as the hands attached to it.

Skito rides her SJ in a snaffle bit, but he is a hunter & very eager to get to the jump. She has been working on getting him to relax :). At a recent Chris Chugg clinic he made her ride him in a pelham & he hated it. Skito was worried about riding the following day in it when a few people mentioned how much fergus disliked the pelham. One of the people offered her a Nathe short shanked, combination & Fergus loved it. Chris allowed her to ride in that ....but it is actually much softer than it looks.
    Today she rode in her snaffle, but we will get a Nathe for Fergus.
    Until you actually get on a horse & ride it I really think it is wrong to judge why someone is trying a particular bit. Sometimes people try a different one only to go back to a snaffle .....but I still stand by, a bit is only as hard as the hands holding the rein. :)

17. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

agreed!!
    i dont like watching people misuse harsh bits but dont judge people who ride in one as it would be kinder on the horses mouth having light hands with a stronger bit than constant pulling/harsh hands in a snaffle

18. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I agree with buggs.

I ride my big guy in a dutch gag xc and somtimes sj depends how he is going on the day... He is almost 700kg ! He is very well schooled and responsive to legs etc but sometimes can turn into a steam train ...There is No point in us fighting all the time ... we are both happier in the gag and he listens , I have breaks etc Same as what buggs said if people think he doesnt need it you sit on him and see. I know what the answer will be !

Just thought I would add I ride george In a snaffle he is nowhere near as responsive as lorenzo or as highly schooled but He has a great mouth and listens really well .Each horse and rider combo is individual.

One thing I do hate is Really really young kids in hacking riding in doubles! If they ride well etc etc well yeah maybe but alot of them still havent even got independent seats.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  19. Kaisi

Kaisi Well-known Member

Ooh yes! Some photos from a show in March still aren't up yet!

20. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member