Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

what constitutes clipping a horse that needs it?

how can you be the judge?

my pony for example is not clipped for looks (is hogged though for looks hehe) she is clipped because she has a skin condition. without asking you wouldnt be able tell otherwise

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

LOL, I am trying to imagine Duds with a pink dye job:eek:

I get my first "big" pony in 20 years next week:D...and am having clipper blades sharpened before he gets here;) Can't wait to get the fluff off and turn him into a show pony:)*...think I will refrain from the pink dye though**)

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. Sancho

Sancho New Member

I sooooo agree with those that have gripes with other people (and their horses) around stallions. Sometimes I wonder if people are after a free service!!! Yes stallions should be well controlled but they are still under control of their hormones and can be unpredictable at the most inoportune times and I'm sure that these same people that aren't considerate would be the first to complain if something happened and their horse got hurt.

4. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Agree with OH totally.

And I am all for grey's being made up with makeup, we have one and she looks wicked white but even better chalked up, Panda Eyes and all. Also she is clipped about 6-8 times a year, infact she was clipped today and is just about as bare as they come.

5. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

ha ha dollar, well your little white panda eyed boned eared ponies sister is the same, but she is yellow and has smutting...

6. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

howdy hav ellies pressie in my car so can u plz make sure i giv it to her plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bfor she has her own kids *#)

7. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

well i felt better after that.....lol :D

8. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

ok - Mods are watching ;)
    Doing pretty good to get to 23 pages!
    Lets not have it get personal :)

9. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Hey L , why stop having a chat cause your not younger any more. Nothing better than being in the line with mates , makes showing even more fun!!!!!

10. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

CWACS...

:)
    for instance, horses that are in heavy work with a good coat on them who sweat a lot are obviously going to be uncomfortable, and horses with skin conditions, like your mare :)

but when you here people talking about their clip job to others, it only being for show or just because they can it annoys me. but then i am an 'au natural' kinda gal. :) thats my grievance anyways :)

11. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

fair enough i know what you mean i mainly ment how can you tell? or is it more of a majority of them being clipped?

12. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

more the majority of them being clipped :) being a marshall you hear a fair bit :)

13. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I felt better just reading it LOL

14. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I don't really care what people do to their horses as long as the horses well being isn't impacted upon.

However, I do get a bit confused by people who blatantly break the rules. That is nothing but cheating.

You are allowed to "enhance" a horses natural features but dying or false markings is not permitted. So if a horse has a few white hairs make it a star if you want, if a horse is light chestnut make it darker chestnut - that is still fitting in with the horses registration certificates.

But if a horse is bay, making it black is against the rules that you have agreed to abide by. If it has 3 socks naturally, giving it a fourth is again "illegal".

Now I know it is show horse events we are talking about. But seriously if one extra sock/a different colour/a blaze instead of a star is going to make that much difference to the outcome, do you really respect that judges decision? :confused:

At the end of the day though, things like that don't bother me, just confuse me ;) The thought of all that extra effort exhausts me ROFL. It is the things that impact on the safety of the horse and other people that is what annoys me :D

15. Karijini

Karijini Well-known Member

I really only have one gripe...

OFFICIAL riders/horses competing at beginner/encouragement days when they know full well they shouldn't be there.

That's it :D

16. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Agree with you on that one Karijini I wont even let my daughter go to a beginners day and she is still Unofficial. Beginners to me means BEGINNERS!:D

One of my gripes is Arab Geldings over 4years being shown unplaited when they are meant to judged as a ridden type once gelded.

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

IPT, do they have to be plaited though? Is it in the rules? I have probably seen more unplaited than plaited. Although it is getting more common to see them plaited for halter :) I was suprised to see a few stallions plaited fpr halter at the All Arabian... they looked great though :)*

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol i fully clip mine, even the one's i don't end up showing!
    But hell they are kept warmly rugged... maybe i just love clipping!
    PMSL. :D

As for greys, they look TOPS with makeup IMO. **)
    IPT, I thought plaiting was optional?

19. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Plaiting is optional for geldings. But once they get to ridden age4 & Over they are judged as a ridden horse so IMHO Only they should be plaited!:D

20. Kaisi

Kaisi Well-known Member

I cant agree with you more Party!

This is from the AHSA rule book

MANES & TAILS: - Purebred Arabians, except geldings, are to be shown unplaited in Arabian Halter Classes except when competing in halter and performance classes on the same day.

Exhibits competing in hack classes are to be presented and judged as hacks

Last edited: May 30, 2009