Show us ya wheels! Float and towing vehicle reviews.

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by GoneRama, Feb 11, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

That is a nice solid float Solly :)

Mum and dad have an old Franklin float, 30 years old, tiny as but far out it's solid.

BTW you've got a 100 Series Landcruiser there Solly ;) , looks to be a GXL.

2. sollywolly

sollywolly Well-known Member

hehe thanks GR :)*
    the older stuff always seems to be solider and last longer, and not just in floats.

3. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

We're thinking about changing my car over from a Kia Sorrento to something like a secondhand Toyota Prada. For those that have or have had a Toyota Prada, would I be better with diesel or petrol, manual or automatic?? Pros and cons please :D.

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Well mine is a Diesel Manual so that's what I'd be recommending.

Diesel engines have a lot more torque in my opinion thus better for towing.

The primary reasons I got a diesel.....
    1) I know it's safe from petrol sniffers!
    2) OH is reasonably familiar with diesel engines.
    3) Bit more grunt, less can go wrong with them out where I work.

The primary reasons I got a manual.....
    1) Depending upon the model the manual transmissions are a lot stronger than their automatic counter parts. Having said that, the newer Automatic transmissions are quite good so as I said, depends upon the model.
    2) I personally believe manuals are better for towing.
    3) Always had a manual.

5. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Anyone know how a hilux tows?

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Pretty good from what I've heard Skittled.

From what I've seen a HiLux is pretty much a ute version of a Prado.

Obviously there are some differences but the motors are pretty much the same and the ones I've driven handled pretty similar to my Prado.

7. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

One day I'm going to take a pic of the car and float I use to get around :p :p :p It's a FLASH one. Your jaw will be ON THE GROUND when you see the pics.

I have a lovely old ford station wagon I borrow and an old 'convertible' 2 horse float I also borrow. I love them both. They have been in use since I was a child and still going strong.

8. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

Yippee I can add to this thread now! I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (gangster colour) and a 2007 Imperial extended straight 2 horse float (white and blue with gold strip). This is the 1st float I?ve ever owned, I have spend my whole life from pc to now, borrowing and hiring floats, so I?m super stocked to finally have my own wheels. :D

Now lets see if the photos work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Vroom Vroom Purdey!
    Those are some speccy wheels!

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Woohoo Purdy! Lovely set up! Congrats! :D

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Nice one Purdey! Independence at last hey!

12. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

My new(ish) F truck...

[​IMG]

and the Gooseneck it'll pull...

[​IMG]

Just gotta get the hitch installed next week, take the well-body off and install the tray and it's a go'er!

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Nice Nannoo! Your shmexy horse will finish the outfit off just nicely.

14. Melle79

[​IMG]

This is my set a 2002 Kia Sorrento and a 'vintage' Double Extended Kalpakoff, I was lucky enough for my dad to restore it for me for my birthday last year. Not the best photo

15. annie

annie Active Member

And mine...just cos I had it out to take a horse to the farrier to get a hoof sole packed...:D

[​IMG]

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

WOW this thread is unearthing some amazing setups!

Melle I quite like your space bubble looking float. The window at the top of the float must really encourage horses into the float a lot more than a poxy little window.

Annie, I've seen a few Landcruisers around that look like yours. Must be great having the bit extra room in the cab. Your float....was it something else in a previous life?

17. Melle79

I like the Space bubble name! it's a bit odd I know, I'm not sure about the original idea the guy who installed it had BUT it does make it quite bright but oddly not hot in summer.

So many awesome set up's on here!

18. ashlee

ashlee Active Member

[​IMG]

2001 Audi

[​IMG]

2005 VZ Commodore SV8

dont think either of the two cars can tow a float tho ones to small and other is way to low....

selling one of these babys for the new nissan navara :D does anyone know how they tow?? and drive?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  19. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah I don't know how the Audi would go with a horse float on behind!

Navara's aren't too bad from what I've heard.

As much as I love the sporty cars I still prefer my 4wds*#)

20. ashlee

ashlee Active Member

hmm we did towe the single horse float with a 4 cyl since the 4wd broke down on the way to a show hahaha was so funny haha

i was driving the nissan patrol yesterday and went to the Audi today and felt so small and weird haha... so defently cant wait to get a navara it will make up for my height :D