Show us ya wheels! Float and towing vehicle reviews.

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by GoneRama, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

Love the new float Gonerama, sucks having to wait unti May to get it though.

My last float had open sides too, horses never got hot in it which is a bonus up here. Had to sell though as one of my boys scrambles and had to get an angle load.

Enjoy your float when it gets here.

Cheers Tracey

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Thanks BTG :))

Yep, I wasn't compromising on the open sides bit when I was looking at a float. Like you it's just wayyyy too damn hot up here to not have them. I'll get canvas/vinyl put over them at some stage so I can store feed in it during the wet season but I don't think I'll ever travel a horse with the canvas on.

Oh I'll enjoy it when it gets here no worries about that! Already got a few horsey weekends planned in at Troppo's place and looking at competing at Darwin show! :D

3. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

Wow.... everyone has very nice setups indeed.... and ive seen some floats like your new one GonoRama... :)

Here is my setup... We had the Gooseneck made for us as our Pooie has a 5 inch lift kit and 35inch mud tyres on it... So needed it made to fit the trays height..lol

We have yet to save up and fit out the front, but little by little it will get done... We have had it lined so we dont freeze, and have a fold up table and fridge in there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Swing out tack box
    [​IMG]

4. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

That swing out tack box is a fantastic idea QH Rulz!
    Is there a wall on the inside as well, or when it swings out does the inside edge go flush with side of the trailer? (I dont think I explained that very well :p )
    Would love to see more photos of it, and how its incorporated into the side of the trailer **)

5. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

Hi kp.... :D we wanted a tack box but didnt know where to put it so the builder suggested a swing out rack and we sort of tweaked it a bit till it ended up like this... very useful!

Yeah when its swung out its flush with the outside wall...

So its a 3 horse angle at the back and they are angled the 'wrong' way haha so heads are to the right (up the camber of the road) we requested it this way... and the tack box swings in to the unused area at the back due to the angle load of the horses..lol

and we just have rubber hung on the final partition to stop the 3rd horse hoping in the tack box.. ill just check for photos and add them :D

ETA: ok found photos now.. lol

This one was shows the tack box closed
    [​IMG]

this one is of the rubber hanging to stop them stepping in the box
    [​IMG]

This one shows inside the tack box...
    [​IMG]

Ohhhh found one of when it was getting built... So this shows it swung in from other angle
    [​IMG]

Hope those photos shows you what it is KP...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Yep, your horses travel the same way as ours :)

Id love to see some photos. We are going to get a swing-out in ours, but it was going to be the 'usual' sort, but yours looks very cool and I want to see how it works/is set up on the inside! :D

Will check back for photos tommorrow. Hehe ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Here are some photos from this arvo of my towing set up. Did post about it a while ago, but OH has made the vinyl sides up since then, plus put float yards on it and my stickers **) and my OH has re-done the padding and vinyl on the centre divider and chest bars. Just the padding and vinyl on the kick bar (at the top of the ramp) to replace now, and then some sort of set-up for hay (in bale carrier) and water (Madam Abby has decided she only likes Kellerberrin water) storage in the spare bay whilst travelling - still not sure how to do this?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My float is very simple, but serves me very well and is excellent to tow. **)

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Oh thanks QH Rulz, Im loving that tack box, might have to pinch the idea for our gooseneck! :p

That last pic is the angle I wanted to see...I get how it works now. I love how it opens on the side of the float, not above the ramp like the usual swing-outs, but still makes the same use of that unused bit of space at the back.

Thanks heaps for the photos! :)*

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

YAAAAY Gonerama!! LOVE your Nandor float so far. OOoooOOO might have to steal a ride to the Royal in that one!

Working on the OH to get myself a newbie.....but don't think its going too well. APPARENTLY we need a new bathroom first pffffft

Might just have to settle for the oldie, spend a little bit of cash doing her up and wait a few years yet for a Nandor!

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

LOL Troppo you might have to steal a ride to the Royal in it hey?! That could quite possibly be arranged, does that mean Kenoath and I have somewhere to stay for Darwin Show? Oh yes, of course we're staying at your place because some little birdy has been conned into plaiting a horse that is not theirs!

11. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

hmmmmmmm let me think....I will give u a and your horse a place to stay plus bonus mango daiquiri's

swapped for plaiting so I don't have to do it and a ride in the flash as new Nandor......ITS A DEAL!!!

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Wow, my setup isn't as flash as you lot but I am happy with it.

The car
    I have a 2006 Nissan Navara DX (the non-flashy model, hence NO CARPET woot!) 3 litre diesel. We specifically wanted a duel cab ute and after a lot of research decided this model Navara was the best value for money for us. It has a tow capacity of 3 tonne braked, has a reece hitch tow bar rated to 3.5 tonne and upgraded the rims and tyres to a package rated to 5.5 tonne. So, it tows what I want it to, an extended double with 2 average horses on it easily. Its a manual which is a bonus living up a big hill, cooking the gearbox in the auto ML Merc didn't go down too well! The tray is so handy, I cart hay etc without a problem. I like the fact it has no carpet or electrics being that it is a work hack, I never vacuum it, I sweep it :p

The only thing I don't like about it is I wish it had a little more power but that would be pretty standard for me with any diesel set up being that I come from a family of performance cars.

An old photo of it, it has window tint now :p
    [​IMG]

The float
    Well I only had a $5,000 budget for the float as I refuse at this point with my mortgage to get another loan. I ended up going with my 1995 extended Taylor with 'dropped axles.' It has been awesome for the babies as it sits low so the ramp isn't steep, my filly has gone from hour long fights to get on the float to walking straight on quietly. It has had a lot of the 'leg catchy hole spots' plaited before we bought it making it a lot safer to tie too, has yards on it and the horses love the fact the windows open. I would like to some day upgrade it to something with all the tack boxes etc but for now its a fantastic basic float with all my needs ticked. It just needs some prettying up again :p

An old photo again, the Navara now has a lower sitting tow bar so the float sits level and not on this angle
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  13. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

I tow with my 08 Holden Colorado ute and my Extended Imperial float love my car and float!! Will try and get pictures!!

14. Neet

Neet New Member

Horse Floats

Have to say alot of people have some very nice setups & some floats i wish were sitting in my driveway :D
    Im currently looking for a 2nd hand double float,i only have a limited budget so mainly looking for something that is structually sound & safe & less worried about cosmetic appearance as i can repaint etc at a later stage.
    I was wondering if many of you own an Olympic float & if so have you been happy with them or anything you can fault as such or would like to change ?

On another note i was wondering those of you who do have a float what size horse bay length have you found to comfortably fit a soild built 16hh horse ?
    I have noticed different makes &/or models of floats seem to have different internal measurements.If anyone does own a 16hh horse who comfortably fits into their float be kind enough to measure the bay length from chest bar to bum bar/chains,from chest bar to front of float/window,bay width & internal height from floor to roof,it would be grately appreciated.
    I just want to make sure when im looking at different floats i will be able to check the measurements to make sure my boy will comfortably fit without it being a bit sqeezy for him.
    I have also seen that you can put in curved chest bars for the larger horses to be able to gain more bay length,which may come in handy.
    Thanks in advance for any help,its much appreciated !! :)*

15. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

here is a picture of our new float, will get a better one with the ute and it, and the truck on the weekend

[​IMG]

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

At long last my float and car together in the same pic!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and interior. It all comes out, even the kick boards on the side and the slidy doors for the tack box.

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ha, just reading through this thread again and had to comment on this.....

Yes, us Top Enders never miss an opportunity and isn't it rather amusing that it was indeed YOUR HORSE Troppo that we ended up bringing home in my nice new float *#)

18. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

I cant wait to add to this thread, Ive read and re read it a bunch of times! Hopefully I'll have my new float pics to add very shortly...
    Thats if someone can tell me how to attach the photos, please?? When ever ive tried in other threads it hasnt worked :confused:

19. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

you need to put them in Photobucket, then it gives you a link, I'll show you. I should put a photo up too!

20. sollywolly

sollywolly Well-known Member

Thought i'd add to this :)
    Got my very first float last June I think? It took a while to find as we wanted a bigger one.
    The car is a toyota land cruiser :eek:ha. thats all I know about it :p It is on gas.
    The float it second hand. Would love to have extras such as tack boxes, but am just happy to have a float
    Got the float serviced and looked over etc. Dont know the brand. The float man that serviced it said they stopped making them but were good solid floats.
    Anyway, pictures :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011