Show Jumping...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Arnie, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I can understand that Jo. Thanks for you concern. All my life I've wanted to compete / show but my parents have always told me no plus they reckon I'll be no good at it. I really wanna get out there and have some fun and I've also proved my parents wrong. Its hard when you haven't got any family support. I'm suprised that I am where I am now. I'm still determined as ever to go as far as I can but I just can't figure out what. Arnie is sitting in the paddock right now because I can't figure out a reason to tack him up and train towards...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

2. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Arnie , why dont you look into and /or have a look at the different types of horse activities that there are and see what really interests you , then go for it as hard as you can. Put in the work and enjoy.
    Still go and have the lessons with Denny , as if you can ride well and do basic dressage , you can then do any of horse related activities you want , even going from one to the other.
    We didn't just do Hacking , or dressage or whatever, but did a bit of everything.
    I can remember , we were at a sporting day one time , and a boy who had seen us at the shows laughed at Tony our eldest son , and called him a ponce because he had won a lot of boy rider classes , and said that he was in for a hiding that day. Never the less, the smart alec who had laughed in the first place ended up laughing on the other side of his face when Tony won the barrel race, beat him in the bending with a second and also got a second in the flagrace. Tony also won the walk , trot and gallop , because the horse that he was riding could do an extended trot, which the other horses couldn't do.
    So as I say , why not have some more training and give all of it a go that you want to , then make up your mind what to special in if you want to.

Jo

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes i agree but I won't be able to train without a goal...I'm trying desperatly settle down and say "yes thats what i want to do with him" but to get lessons without a goal would feel useless...

Sarah

4. widgelli

It is not a waste to have lessons without setting a goal yet. You will be improving not only yourself , but also Arnie and his responses to your legs and seat all the time that you are.
    All this will help with whatever sort of equine things that you want to do.

Jo

5. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

any training you put into yourself and your horse is not a waste, even if you don't end up competing at all.

it's all about self improvement. Owning horses is a long journey of learning and then teaching your horse what you learn, over and over again. None of it is a waste.

and as for people picking you apart if you went to Gidge ag - that's just plain ridiculous! Anyone who is there competing on their own horse will not have any time to worry about what someone else is doing!

p.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm not talking about the people competing. I'm talking about Stockardians.

There is a show coming up that I really want to go to. Just gotta work Arnie a little bit more and I'll take him to that one cuz they hold good shows...

Sarah

7. widgelli

If I was over there, I would go to the show as well , but not to pick you , but to try and help you. There is nothing like having someone on the ground to watch what you are doing and if possible even video you while you are competing. This then lets you have a look at where you can improve what you are doing.
    I still have some of the movies of the boys when they were riding in Queensland , and one of the little girls that I used to instruct as well.

Jo

8. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

why not join pony club and have some fun with other kids your age. then you could also have a go at the different disciplines in one day. you will also receive instruction on the different things. you could have a go at games without actually competing and see if it what you want to do.

sherree

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes I've thought of pony club and I've inquired at Horsemans but seeing I graduated school this year and I'll hopefully be going into my first year of full time work I can't garentee that I'll have the time to keep pony club up...

Sarah

10. kt

kt Active Member

i'll be going to uni full time next year and I'm planning on staying at pony club...pony club is only once a month...if you have time to compete I'd say you'd have time for pony club too, I personally find pony club as much fun/more fun than competing anyway

~~~~kt~~~~

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes Kt but you've obviously bin doing pony club for a while. I've never done it before so it would feel like a rush to me. Plus I'd prefer to show every weekend...

Sarah

12. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

You say you don't think you'd be able to keep up with pony club- but you want to show evry weekend? Explain that one to me!

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Tam read the post again. Or shall I break it down for you.

I'd "Prefer" to show every weekend. Notice the word prefer? now can you figure it out?...

Sarah

14. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Don't be such a smart arse Sarah, prefer or not i don't understand why pony club would be difficult for you to keep up with when you would bewilling (if able) to show every weekend. Although perhaps you should grow up before you attempt something like pony club that requires you to work well within a team and communicate with a wide range of people.

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

lol Tam you can really be something to laugh at you know. As you said your not here to be nice. Well then...

Tam you obviously still don't get it eh? Too much work for you? Let me explain it in full. I'd much "rather" show my horse most probably because I have experience in the area. Pony club looks ok but I'm not sure if I'd like it terribly much. Working in a team is just fine with me Tam. So before you type something rediculously stupid and to crush / ruin my feelings in which you can be so cruel I've basically become amune to read my post properly and stop trying to be the higher racky here alright?...

Sarah

16. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I did read you post properly- thats what was so confusing. When i said that i wasn't here to be nice, i meant that i wasn't just going to pander to people to make them feel better if i didn't agree. But quite obviously you think that i am a horrible person anyway so that doesn't really matter. You would prefer to show because you have experience? Well how come when you first posted this topic you said- 'we haven't done it before so we might struggle'? Since then you've come up with a reason not to do every other thing anyone has suggested so just what is it that you have experience in that you are willing to do? Pony Club/ Adult riding clubs are great for confidence building, learning and networking- ie making heaps more friends with a common interest many of whom could help you in getting to shows etc.

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Tam I'm not going to take anymore of this nonsence.

*Watever*

Sarah

18. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

pony club can be pretty daunting if you join later, without previously being there. although if you do, the potential of benifite would be great.
    when you turn 18, you might prefer to join adult riding club instead. you'd probebly benifite from it a lot, as you learn about the different disiplins, rules, equipment, tack, horsemastership, training in a relaxed and friendly environment.
    also becoming a member of a club also has other benifits, as you can compete under the club, at club only events like pcawa championships & arc championships. they also hold horse trials, dressage and show jumping days etc for clubs, in team events and individuals.

-bec-

19. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

I'll be joining Adult riding club for the first time next year - i would love to join pony club but think im too old (23). i never got to do any thing like that cause i didn't have a float or access to one.
    what is the limit age wise on joining pony club

:) Nikiwink :)

20. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Also i was initiaally very shojumping orientated, then i was dressage orientated, but over the last few years i got bored and now want to do everything - Thats my goal now , to have a go at everything (from x country, to polocrosse to stock work).

To acheive this i try to get my horses good on the ground as well as riding. i want to be able to work on loose, light or full contacts in any location.

Basically my horse isn't brilant at one thing - i just want them to be responsive so i can do anything.

Arnie why don't you try something similar until you decide on one disipline or another.

:) Nikiwink :)