Show Hunter/Working Hunter...

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Denny, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

OK all you Saddle Horse (or Show Horse or Hackies - whatever is the PC correct term theses days!!) guru's I need ya help!!

Can you please explain the difference to me between Show Hunter and Working Hunter and what is involved in each?? What sort of gear is needed - what the work outs involve - the 'type' of horse that is 'preferred' etc...

Also - If one was to compete in these events - who would one have to become a member with ie -is it EFA run or Show Horse or Hack Council???

Do they have these classes in amoungst a Hack programme??

umm.... Will probably think of a zillion other questions later!! Ta!

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

working hunters are thicker set not so pretty looking something you expect to see out hunting.

show hunters are prettier but pretty much do the same thing but not likely found in the hunt feild.

i think

3. pso

pso Gold Member

hehe...this might not be right!*#)

show hunter, you have to look pretty (like hacking), but gear/horse plainer and more workmanlike (eg hunter/dressage type)- no bling... Workouts more forward moving...

working hunter, as above but with a jumping course...(kinda the old equitation class crossed with a hack class)

PLEASE tell me you arent crossing over to the dark side?*#) :D
    (tho hacking is less b**chy!:p )

4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

hehe i think together me and pso may have it right but im not sure

5. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

ok
    working hunters jump!!! they both need to be heavier boned and able to carry an adult all day. They both need to be quiet and work well.
    working hunters should have a little more bone than show hunters and should be able to jump. Both the working and show hunter workouts should include a hand gallop as well as trot and canter on both reins and a lengthened trot.
    The working hunter will also be required to jump a course of rustic looking jumps.
    you will need to be a member of either the efa or shc depending on which one you'd prefer but you would only be able to go in the affliated shows of each which is why most people are members of both
    The royal show has working and show hunter classes and it doesn't matter whether you are a member of the efa or shc you just need 5 qualifying points to enter
    you will need a tweed jacket and plain gear. A numnah/ sheepskin pad that matches your saddle

6. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

*yulp* crossing to the Dark side PSO??? I may have to stick my big toe in it's pond (or should that be raging sea?) a couple of times....

Ok - so a Show Hunter is a Show Hunter and a Working Hunter is separate... One doesn't do both?????

For the Working Hunter - do you ride in a jumping saddle or do injury in a dressage saddle??? How big are the jumps???

Does anyone know if there are any Show Hunter or Working Hunter classes anywhere this weekend??

Are they a part of a "normal" show programe - Obviously the riders that do these classes don't do ordinary Show Horse classes -but do they do rider classes???

Ta for the info WW, CwC. PSO (you'll keep!!)

7. pso

pso Gold Member

There is usually a show hunter class at most hack days...And yep, quite a few do both the show hunter and the hack classes....With academy awards style wardrobe changes...;)
    Ask princeton to take you shopping! She loves wardrobe shopping!:D

8. Wildwood

you can do both with a hunter but some show hunters dont jump (well mine doesn't anyway lol)
    you can do working hunter in a jumping saddle but you aren't allowed to change your gear from the workout on the flat to the jumping round.
    Not sure how high the jumps are i think they're about 3 foot for hacks and galloways
    show hunter classes are always part of a normal show programme but working hunters aren't

9. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

You know as well as me that we would be LAUGHED out of ordinary hacking... but (and this is not by choice!) may have to do some "Hunter" classes...

Ok - so Princeton makes a great stylist - Reckon she'd be up to doing a make over on a die hard Dressage combo??? I might have to succond Smiley and Madcow for *takes deep breathe* make up (gasp) tips....

10. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Ta WW - bit worried about trying to jump 3ft in a dressage saddle... Do you know what most people do???

So Working Hunters have their own shows???

WW- do you know of any Show Hunter/Saddle Horse comps on anywhere this weekend?? (I have this weekend free...)

11. pso

pso Gold Member

keep MC away! he'll lose his tail!:eek: :(

not by choice? you lose a bet or something?*#) :D

12. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

I don't think you're supposed to use makeup (could be wrong though :) ) so thats one less thing to worry about! :))

13. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Madcow aint coming near him with scissors (or clippers unless she's in a straight jacket!!!) !!!

Nah didn't lose a bet - nearly the opposite!!! Will let you know!!!

Saf's mum - that's a relief!!! I reckon I'd end up wearing more than the horse!!! His "inner beauty" can shine thru!!

14. Wildwood

we use makeup on our show hunter but not as much as you would on a hack
    dont know of any shows this weekend sorry

15. Tyne

Tyne Well-known Member

you can still use make up just not over the top like the open.

The best bit is you get to go fast hehe

16. Tyne

Tyne Well-known Member

Snap WW heheh **)

17. Wildwood

its fun if your horse goes fast but not if he's lazy!!!!!!!!!!

18. pso

pso Gold Member

red ones always go faster!:D

19. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

OMG OMG OMG - yayyyyyyyy.... hehe
    I will email you the guidelines!

20. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

Denny!! Is there something you forgot to tell me maybe? Oh and you are NOT putting make-up on 'my' beautiful boy! I dunno, I turn my back for a minute *mutter, mutter*.