Show horses/ponies from the past

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Bunch of Violets, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Yeah the magazines were great, it was something to look forward to every month whereas now the net takes away a little of that suprise. Good thing though is now WA fashion is more up to date, used to have such a lag behind the east coast people! :p

Still remember Maree Tompkinson's lampwick browbands, and a cover of a mag with her on Super I think it was - stunning picture, I kept it. Now I don't even bother to save things like that, possibly because I'm not a kiddie and possibly because I don't even get the magazines, just have a quick browse on the net and that's it :eek:

2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

do you have leedale miss mari? a blingy chestnut mare?

my friend in high school had her. she was the flashest show pony in busselton, after Beelo Bi Flash Gordon (another blingy chestnut).

3. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i remember spanish lace & drumclyer bugs bunny were Pateman's horses from margaret river. is that right? when i did my first ever sleepover camp at lou greenacre's old "dunsborough horse world", carla pateman had spanish lace there with a blue wintec & i thought that was the epitome of COOL.

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Bugs Bunny was Felicity Letch's pony to start off with :) Another flash chestunt Beelo-Bi Pony was Beelo Bi Flash Harry, he was a super games pony too :)

5. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Didn't Hayley Beresford ride Command Performance?

I kept my horse at the same place as Robyn (Menzies Mason) when they were only new to horses. I ended up with Tamieka's horses - Remy who I still have and Brighty, who was an ex El Caballo horse, who I put down last year aged 36 yrs. Tamieka never did hacking - went off to travel instead!

I remember Mischa had a bay pony that he did official hacking on, which I think was from Glomax stud? Don't quote me. LOL. Hacking was never my thang. :) I remember meeting the grey pony later but can't for the life of me remember his name.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. Cassy Horse

If you are speaking about Mischa Yellin yeah he did have a small pony which I cannot remember for the life of me it's name (I remember him having a little grey and a little bay too?), then they bought Kirreway Quazar from the east coast

7. Cassy Horse

Yep that's right, whenever Sunny hit the show ring she never put a foot wrong!

Small world Blitzen I went up there a couple of times too! :p Haha and yeah Bronwyn had Mari, and then her sister bought Reilly but I can't remember what his show name was either :eek:

Have to add in Wendamar Pete as well, such a lovely grey boy. And Kirreway Valet of course, all time well behaved little gentleman

8. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Ah ha who remembers the HOTY where Maree Tomkinson came and judged in a see through dress???

I remember the photo was used in an article on what to wear when judging, her photo was used as an example of what not to wear!!!

Cassy Horse - Wendamar Pete - was last time i saw him with a pony rides lady - good home:)

9. mad -horse

mad -horse Active Member

I own 2 Cambrai Park dreamtime baby .
    Loved Friendly Shore Drumcyler BushBug Judaroo Prudence

10. Cassy Horse

Good to hear Scorpio, I never heard of him putting a hoof wrong so he'd be great for a job like that! :))

11. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Did anyone mention Val Maghers Millionaire.......he was a magnificent horse!

12. I remember that outfit - that was the day a lot of husbands/boyfriends/dads actually stayed to 'watch the competition'!

A few top ponies have ended up at some of the better riding schools like Brockmans and Foxwood - they have a few Drumclyers, Wendamars and Leedales. I saw Chippenham Cabriolet with a young rider at an interschools a couple of years ago. Drumclyer Dragonfly went over east to Sara Muratore but sadly lost an eye in an accident and was retired. Cariad is retired down south. Jindabyne Park Request and Judaroo Prudence both became great broodmares - Request produced Rockview Jacinta, also a well performed mare who is now having babies!

13. Raw Prawn..

Just to let you know KP Capricorn Dancer, is in our back paddock having fun with the broodies and yearling still acting like he is 5.

From,
    Kaitlyn :)

14. Not sure about Araminta but Mosaic past late last year a very sad moment for all of us involved but she has some very well performed babies out and about and also her son is breeding.

15. Harriett

Harriett New Member

What a blast from the past when I look back at all the fab ponies hacks that were around years ago, all of the mentioned were terrific **). Also Balmoral Batavia (Bat) was an awesome large pony grey gelding :))

16. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

I remember Bat!!! JK was my neighbour. Best tempered ponies the Balmorals, though Bat was quite possibly the laziest pony I've ever met!!:D

17. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Spanish lace was a great pony but gee she could be a rat!! I remember her dragging Carla all over the Royal on foot we had to get her a bull bit!! So funny!! I won the pairs in 1990 with Carla, Sunny and Kirreway Mezaire. It was awesome then Mishka and Bugsy won it 2 years later. we still joke we are the pairs queens!!!

Blitzen I agree that Mis Mari was a lovely pony but I will stake the claim of winning champion pony 3 years in a row at BSN show with Selega King and then again with Mishka, Reserve to Mis Mari with Mishy too and then a Champion again with Willowcroft Elderberry.... I think my team was prett flash ;)

18. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

who had mishka? i remember her but only went she went to PC a couple of times & ppl talked about how difficult she was, very fancy little dark brown? can't remember who rode her - it's just at the back of my memory.
    are you from bsn, misskel?

wait, is mishka's a horse, right?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

THAT's it, i was thinking Flash Gordon, haha. Cuthberts in bsn had him & he was divine! flashiest pony at pony club, that's for sure.

20. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

omg i remember wendamar pete.

are you from down there, cassy? how intriguing, reading this & seeing so many familiar names, considering i only went to the one pony club.

those were the days, eh, doing the ride down to eagle bay. i loved all of lou's horses; during one camp i got to ride one of the showponies, so i thought i was pretty special.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011