Show horses/ponies from the past

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Bunch of Violets, Jan 8, 2011.

1. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Gee whiz, what a great thread...

I can add a few of our gone but never forgotten show team

Willowcroft Elderberry
    Kirreway Mezaire
    Hillmorn Cheeky
    Hillmorn Mishka
    Blue Gardens Calypso
    So Casual
    Celebration
    Selega King
    Kalara Park Serenade
    Tundarra Festivity

And faves such as Command Performance, Jindabyne Park Request, Cruise, Drumclyer Flight, Dragonfly, Mosaic, Bugs Bunny (to name a few), Spainish Lace, Cariad, Showdown, Gifted,Print, Valentino!! Oh there were some great horses when I was a youngster!!

Love looking back and thinking about them all!!

2. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

The ever lovely beelo-bi berossa, I admired her at many a show :)

3. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

Piscaso (fad) what a horse

Whispering Jack broke all hacking records at Melb Novice Open Champ and Supreme
    Willowcroft Val? an amazing gallie he had to go up against W Jack for supreme ridden at melb Dale rode both him and jack for the open champs, for the supreme ridden Dale rode Jack, Vickie rode W V (even tho she was the new owner of Jack) in the open class W V with dale looked utterly amazing ready to explode controllable energy, with Vickie another nice gallie
    Covers
    Cruise
    all of the above ridden by Dale Plumb and Billy W

any of the Lindy Walker show team
    Flying Hercules the nortiest gallie ever but what a star :))
    Arch Royal
    The Count
    Miago Delight
    Madrid very plain horse long face not your normal hack but out worked every one
    Supa Nova (WA horse sold to a vic rider that lived local to us, bit of a story there when he competed at sydney royal a rumored attempted nobble)

The Tudor park horses Malcolm could always dig up a diamond Oh got to ride a couple of his horses at the Royal some very embarrassing stories to tell :eek:

Heaps more but these are the horse that put a smile on the dials

you could sit for days at Melb Royal watching these horses and never get bored.

4. jmk

jmk New Member

Wow - what a great thread and brings back ALOT of memories. Feel chuffed to see two of my showies in here.

Judaroo Lorenzo was a pony well before his time. Imagine him in the Hunter/Pony Dressage ring now, he was simply outstanding.
    Socialite was a stunning big hack and Marena Cadence was simply amazing (that trot) what more could you say.
    Its nice to see Morningside Penny Lane's progeny out competing and following in her footsteps. Same for Kirralea Classic who has produced numerous Royal Champion progeny who herself was a Perth Royal Show Supreme Champion Pony Hack.

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Eastern states hack that was amazing was La Pigelle owned by Maree Tompkinson**)

And who could forget the adorable Wattles Petunia?

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

loved her...little bay with white...very nice pony:)

Interesting ...most of the ponies who were at the top in my day would be classified hunters now ( I know all mine would be). I was just finishing riding show ponies when The Laird came over and riding ponies were just starting to be shown (oh wow am old :( )

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

That's the one think she won Champion Pony at Melbourne Royal and Barastoc a few years on the trot**)

8. fuddles

nope wattles was a QLD pony but very cute

the one who won and cleaned up was an import Welsh B cant even think of her name even tho l used to chat to her owner,

9. katelol

katelol Guest

I'm having enough trouble remembering the horses I actually knew, let alone the ones from the magazines *#)

Remember a grey pony called Samson? Don't know if he won anything big but I saw him a couple of times in top 10's and the like. NICE pony :D I really like the old type more than the modern riding ponies :} must be getting old :p

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I know Petunia won some big awards...cant remember exactly what though...I remember seeing her in old Hoofs and Horns regularly**)

http://www.wattlesponystud.com/page04.html

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

So QLD ponies cannot travel to Melbourne Royal*#)

12. fuddles

she did tho, at the same time their was an import chestnut with some flecking thru coat and this one really did clean up (will have to put the memory bank on recharge)

ok nortiest of the nortiest ponies would have to be the Fairly Simon ones after being gelded he won some big time shows as so did his son who was also a rat bag:))

and the fashion in ponies and gallies really changed as soon as the Keston Royal Occ progeny got out there under saddle

13. jmk

jmk New Member

Annie Coxon Tyganeous Pyrites (spelling ????) is who I think your talking about and dam of the Stanton Park Rave Review etc

14. katelol

katelol Guest

J(anelle????)
    you are a walking, talking showhack database :))

15. fuddles

of course they can, the same as English Ponies can travel, but english ponies swim LOL :))
    any way the owner had Vickie Lawre prep her

another super English riding pony, Z? Easter Bonnet she did win a supreme ridden at Melb about 82

16. fuddles

Yahhhhh thats the one. Now that is the pony l wanted to steal :))

17. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

I love looking at pictures of (not sure if there is a Yarrada infront of this one) Collector's Item, Yarrada Rain Drop, Yarrada Bliss and Yarrada Christmas Gift.

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Tanygroes Pyrites**)

and just had a look my new boy and her have a common ancestor (Downlands Chevalier):) ....and yes I will claim it ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  19. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

My favs were, Balmoral Verne, Judaroo Prudence and I loved Drumclyer Dragonfly. :D:D

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh Drumclyer Dragonfly is my all time favorite, and so is the rider:)