Should Unreg Ponies/Horse's Be accepted??

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by PINTO1980, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Should Unreg ponies/horse's Be accepted??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2008.
  1. Yes They Should

39 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No They Shouldn't

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Doesnt Really Bother Me

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

And your facts are still wrong and giving people the wrong impression #(. That poor breeder, there's more to the story and your making her out to be the bad person.

Why keep an entire arabian colt to breed? No matter how good his bloodlines are, they are worth nothing without papers IMHO.

Goodluck with him anyway.

2. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

can we stop talking about the situation of the colts and things about the breeder? the comments from people who have no idea of the actual story?
    i have the other 'colt' and he was gelded 2 weeks ago, and im getting his papers, he will be shown registered.. i know the breeder and the whole sitution of letting them go without gelding may not be ideal(is not ideal), but like i said no one knows the situation. i dont think either 'colts' were foal recored yet, i was there when their foal recodings were being filled out, but i dont think they were sent off.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'll respect that **)

4. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

bit pointless going hacking if they cant ride so halter gives them a chance to be involved as you say and well said to

5. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Just cos I can, should Riding Ponies then be removed from SOS seeing as they were bred to be a TYPE?

6. carol51

ime guessing ureg would be a bugger to judge you have all sorts pure and crosses unlike reg class that has a standard to refer to even if sometimes it seems the standard doesnt come into it

7. carol51

you got it in one your braver than me for saying one of the things i was thinking

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

A good just will ask you what breed your horse is and judge that breed / cross to the best of their ability and award the horse who is the best to type of their breed.

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Why would you ask what breed an unregistered horse is? The owners likely have no idea at all and could just decide what breed their horse looks most like - which isn't necessarily true! A good judge SHOULD ask in AORB classes though :)*

Judging unregistered just look at good general conformation - usually riding type if that is what the horse looks like it was designed for :)

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Its how I've always seen it done.
    Just because something isn't registered doesn't mean its a completely bitza and the exhibitor isn't aware of its breeds / breed :p. If it is a bitza, then that would be hard judging I guess! Like you said, really it comes down to conformation...judges decision. I'd suck judging such a class ;).

11. carol51

what i have said here are what the breeder told us so if the facts are wrong then someone is telling porkys i get where the breeder is comeing from but if hes no good why ask 20 grand i could have paid that and then who would the poor bugger be me i never said she was a bad person i dont know her to say that only spoke on the phone once i just feel no one is being honest enough to tell me the real story ive had hers and about four others so far so please enlighten me

12. carol51

they were put in but not followed up and i understand where the breeder is comeing from getting back to original question of showing unreg horses i beleive there is a place for them and its fun so why not

13. carol51

i wouldnt even try to hard basket that one

14. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

^^This, and IMO they should ask in some colour classes too, eg pally and buckskin. I know someone who was showing a dun Connemara who was turned out in correct native style (whiskers and ears not clipped, feathery feet, unplaited, winter coat etc) and obviously looked much less 'polished' than others in the lineup. The judge asked her AFTER the class finished and she was on the way out of the ring "what breed is your horse?"

Sorry, bit off-topic there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  15. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Sorry Carol51 have to agree with Nannygoat and Arnie, why breed from from him because the foals are going to be worth nothing as not registerable on an open market and that is what everyone wants - PAPERS.

Sorry to be blunt have seen a yard full of purebred unregisterd arabs from a breeder at the doggers - why ? because they couldn't be sold even for $200 !

and I say this as I have had a purebred spanish/egyptian arab colt (was gelded) an anglo/stockhorse mare (didnt breed from) and a partbred crabbet arab gelding :(

My point is go to a breed show as unregistered to compete and have a nice day out if he is a nice type, but I dont agree with breeding unregistered horses, there are enough unwanted abused horses out there in dead market with a flood of TBs and STBs as well. Also very frustrating for a stallion who is not serving to be isolated and kept a stallion too with raging hormones.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  16. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Agree with this. My warmblood is unregistered (because he is a gelding, won't be shown) BUT if I wanted to take him out in hand for a show experience he would be in an unregistered breed class. I know very well what breed he is, in fact his entire lineage lol!!!!! I would be expecting the judge to ask.

My horse is eligible for registration, but for my personal purposes I see no need to register unless I had a mare or a stallion.

Couldn't care less about SOS stuff though - wouldn't hang around anyway.

17. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

ohhhh ouch.... what our garlands aint good enough for ya chooky??? LOL

be careful bout saying it like that.. those awards and effort that goes into em mean alot to some people... like me *#)**)

18. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Um no didn't mean it like that *#) meant it like my wb gelding is fairly ugly (from a show perspective) and wouldn't win anyway - so no point waiting around to get rejected!!!! ;)

19. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

thought so... haha and hes not ugly! hes just..... growing.. haha

20. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I don't think the judge should bother asking what breed/background of horses in unreg classes. What's the point, when the handler could tell them anything and there's absolutely no way to prove whether they are telling the truth? And the fact that the judge is comparing apples with oranges with bicycles means it doesn't matter either way. There are potentially so many reasons for a horse being in unreg that it would seem to unfairly predjudice a horse if the judge 'knew' it's alleged lineage/background.

The potential reasons for being unreg:
    lazy/incompetent/forgetful breeder not following up paperwork
    horse is a Heinz 57 that isn't a fancy registerable colour, from unregistered bitza boring coloured parents
    horse is a rescue, brumby, feral or stray, or 'station' horse
    horse is in studbook but current owner CBF or too cheap to pay breed society membership
    horse is a purebred/partbred who did not pass vet check/classification inspection to be entered into studbook or society - does not comply with breed SOE. (this is the one that would prevent me from showing a 'registerable' horse in unreg, would not like people thinking this about my animal)

I'm sure there are some I've missed.
    Oh, how about this one, horse is stolen.

Anyway, if there is no criteria for entry other than the horse is unregistered and sound, and there are that many possible variations of entrants, what difference does it make what breed the owner claims their horse to be, especially when you can't prove it with that silly bit of paper?

I'm not having a go at people who show unreg, or don't reg their horses for whatever reason. Just playing devil's advocate, as I think it's worth debating the logic of the concept of non-breed classes at a breed show.

FWIW, one of my horses is a partbred out of a very nice well-bred unregistered mare (who had a lazy breeder that didn't register her and has a slack owner that never got around to following up her paperwork), so I'm not a breed snob, lol. However, I've had him registered as a partbred for years even though I haven't yet shown him, mostly for proof of ownership and the 'just in case I want to show him' factor. It's not hard, and doesn't really cost that much.