Should Unreg Ponies/Horse's Be accepted??

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by PINTO1980, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Should Unreg ponies/horse's Be accepted??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2008.
  1. Yes They Should

39 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No They Shouldn't

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Doesnt Really Bother Me

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

oh drama....

i dont mind if the unregistered horses go up for SOS...

Wee is eligable for a good handful of diff regos.. but the thing is to be competitive what do i register him as? i showed him in unregistered at a few till i decided, and did my Trakhner warmblood rego... he is competitive to a point but the pony half of him can let us down in that ring so was a bit of a hard desision but i still wanted to go.....
    but while i was in the unregistered- i believed we were quality enough to be in that SOS line up! just because you dont have a paper doesnt mean u shouldnt have a go too.
    its just an extra run around the ring.. why is everyone getting worked up? think some mutts going to steal your prize?? hahahahaha
    like Mirawee said- if you took types out- there would be a very small SOS line up and these days theres so many diff classes put on and so many prizes why not??

2. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

And there are some pretty gorgeous mutts out there too hey!!!! I wouldn't mind a nice bit of bitsa action myself atm.

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Now that to me is another can of worms. No offense EC, but to my mind the unregistered ring is for horses that aren't eligible for any breed regos (no stallion returns, both parents unregistered etc) not for horses who's owners can't make up their minds or can't be bothered.
    I know not having any rego's at the time technically allows the horse to entered unregistered, but IMO the onus is on the owners to only enter horses that CANNOT, no way, no how, not ever, be registered with any breed society.

4. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

well i wanted to go, but had no papers so what should i have done? i wasnt into breed showing heavily so saw no point in wasting $$$ on it when i wanted to hack and do dressage so not really needing a piece of paper saying he was a such and such?

he is eligable for-
    Riding pony- to heavy to compete against most of em
    part welsh- to heavy? not pony enough?
    arab dirivitive- to warmblood/pony like unless hes in a tizz
    warmblood- trak,- this one i went with cos i love the association
    sport horse/pony- not often helld classes for
    im sure a few others along hte way also somewhere

the unregistered ring is for unregistered horses- no matter the reason they are unregistered? if they had a ring named-
    unregistered but can be registered at some point if the owner wants to- then ill would have gone in that ring. 95% of horses can be registed as soemthing these days anyway...

5. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Now I'm confused. What are we talking about? *#) :eek:

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

You did what you decided was right. For me I'd have made a choice on a rego and finalised it before competing.

Like I said, my intention wasn't to offend, just my thoughts and my opinion :) :))

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

LOL Diana, you seemed to be saying that an unregistered horse competes as a breed - against registered horses. They don't, they compete in a seperate section against other unregistered horses and are judged on general conformation :)

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I've entered an Unreg class while paperwork was pending. That pony os eligible for 4 regos, but a local show fell in perfect timing to not wait for the paperwork :) I'm happy to not stay for a SOS with youngsters as they get soooo tired very quickly. One of my other unregs is a purebred, definitely not a mutt :p but no stallion returns, etc :( That one will continue to go to Unreg classes until she is under saddle and then EA rego'd. Then she'll go hacking :)

I do think Unreg classes are great for general competitors to have-a-go and gain outing experience, but they shouldn't be up for SOS.

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

havent read right back through so must have missed this bit :( Pony in question is a multi regoed pony who has also passed classification with AHHA so had EVERY right to be there IMO, not sure how this particular pony has anything to do with an unrego'ed thread';'...obviously I missed something ';':confused:

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Ohh ok.

So the 'debate' in this thread is about horses who were shown in the unreg class being eligible for the Supreme at the end of the show? Which is usually chosen from breeds?

If that's the case, I don't think the unreg *should* be in the SOS. Cos they're not a representative of any particular breed. Then again, I've never actually been to a halter/breed show and not sure if I'm game so I don't think it'd affect me anyway :eek:

11. katelol

katelol Guest

I think that in this day and age where we have so many Societies that register based on 'colour' or 'type' that any horse can be registered if the owner wants it to be.

Interestingly, TB's do not have to be registered in the owners name to be shown as TB's, just with the studbook. However to show my Arab she must be registered in my name in the studbook :}

While I agree that originally these classes may have been for horses that could not be registered, this is no longer the case. Buy if you are going to have classes for 'type' rather than breed then I think its only fair that the unregistered horse can compete in SOS with everyone else ';'

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Sorrel whatever you have against me....water off a ducks back. **) And no I wouldnt know "the disappointment" (as you call it) being beaten by an unregistered horse.....never been beaten by one. :)

Mirawee...Welsh C's come under the WP&CS where there are 6 Sections. A,B,C,D,E and Part Welsh all which have their own strict criteria to be registered with. All those that compete in Welsh C classes are Welsh C's unlike unregistered which could be any damn breeds in there.

Seriously what is even the point of having registrations, paying all that money for societies, memberships, regos etc when you can just go in the unregistered ring and end up in SOS for the price of the entry of the show?
    Sounds like a good deal to me! :)*

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  13. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Cav you need to get your blinkers off, you throw hunter into an unregistered debate, so those that compete in hunter have a right to an opinion and your comments are questionable.

Shame it is sour grapes on hunter being in SOS.

Never mind the breed shows hold hunter and are eligible for SOS and they are getting sound support.

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Your only getting shitty Sorrel because you have a hunter (and he is a nice one too!) I have no sour grapes, I dont even compete in hunter. I am just making a very valid and real point that hunters are NOT a breed and shouldnt be competing as a breed, they are a type. Not sure what part of that isnt clear to people???

It makes no difference anyway because the classes are there for them and they always will be....same with open and unregistered. :)*

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Cav, not shitty at all, although I probably come across that way as not good at wording things the way I want them conveyed ! You always "liked" the posts with Merlin riding so I know you are supportive of the horse as well lol.

If you read my posts I defended Open and Unregistered as well, just as passionate on standardbreds too and I admitted to being guilty of not having two pay two regos for TB or STB but I do volunteer at shows or sponsor classes to compensate.

I just hate biasedness lol. :)

16. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

"Any Other Registered Breed" yes is for those that have a registration but no catered for classes and should be allowed in SOS "Any Other Unregistered Breed" could be anything and therefore should not be allowed. All breeds have thier standards which are quite different what is a desirable trait in say an Arab, would be different to a Thoroughbred all horses are bred for a specific purpose and they must conform well to be able to carry out that purpose, its not just about a floaty trot and amazing "it" factor, they must look like they could carry out the job their breed was intended for.
    Then of course the judges need to take that into account plus all the amazing trots wow factors and lovely presentation........glad I'm not judging lol
    So if It cant be registered for what ever reason then maybe BREED shows are not the shows to go to???? try hacking,dressage, eventing, jumping, games, cutting.......there is plenty out there. But if you want to have a bit of fun in the halter section at a breed show then come along but dont be upset if you cant go in the SOS

17. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I think most people hate bias. You are not alone there. No worries, it did come across that you were a bit shitty but your not and its all good, I apologise for presuming you were. And yes your boy is lovely :)

18. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i agree with some of the opinions expressed here but our boys foal papers were put in just not followed up on by the breeder , so i know who both his parents are i dont have to guess but i cant afford 20grand to get his papers for him to stay entire , or even the 10grand to do a partnership with the breeder . if he wasnt stallion material ime sure she would have gelded him herself but things dont always work out as planned they havent for us

19. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

umm it takes more than conformation to get registered and if you didnt revenue raise would assc be able to keep going

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

What a load of twaddle!!

If the Breeder couldn't be arsed with the papers, I seriously doubt they would be bothered paying to geld a colt. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be one lol