Should Unreg Ponies/Horse's Be accepted??

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by PINTO1980, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Should Unreg ponies/horse's Be accepted??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2008.
  1. Yes They Should

39 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. No They Shouldn't

28 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Doesnt Really Bother Me

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Ok this has got me thinking..Some people are for some are against..*#)

Should Breed show's ACCEPT Unreg Ponies/Horse's into their Supreme Of Supreme Line-up's??

I know we(Pinto Society) do at our Halter show and im sure Darling Range do as well.

There are some LOVELY unreg horse's/ponies out there and sometimes it's not the owners fault they cant be reg'd as something..So why should these horse's/ponies be discriminated against??

What are your thoughts..??

2. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Exactly, and why shouldn't they be able to show. Surely the best horse or pony should win on the day no matter wether it has a bit of paper or not!
    Cheers

Danni

3. Toy

Toy Active Member

No they shouldn't be allowed to compete in breed classes as such. With no registration there is no proof that they are what they are said to be. For example my girl is a TB and for some reason alot of people think she is QH. Maybe shes too fat! Although in the any other breeds classes then yeah why not let them compete.

4. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

If it is a BREED show, and you have a horse that is no particular BREED, then I dont think it should :confused: i know its controversial, but when you think about it there are HEAPS of open studbook registries that will register unreg stock, for example sport horse/pony registries.

IMO - if they want to be eligible for SOS then go get the bit of paper and do it, dont whinge coz you dont wanna pay some member fee's like everyone else at the show! ;)

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

tried to edit my post wouldnt work ... lol

Just wanted to ad that it doesnt really bother or effect me and I dont care if an unreg horse does take out SOS at a show that allows them to be eligible :)

And I just read in other thread - and agree with Ky, I dont think they should hold Stallion classes for unreg :)

6. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I can't see a problem with letting the Unreg Horse/pony winners into the supreme of supremes. The judge will decide whether it fits the criteria or not (although it won't know what breed it is supposed to be!).

That's a different kettle of fish to allowing unregistered Freddy into the XYZ Breed ring just because the owner thinks it belongs. That wasn't the question though, was it?

7. samm

samm Gold Member

I will say yes. However I don't think they should have unreg stallion classes as in my way of thinking if a stallion is not registered it shouldn't be bred from.
    I think a huge mistake was made a few years back by calling them halter classes rather than breeding classes.Breeding classes were to do exactly that,showcase your breeding stock.
    There was a time where mares shown at the royal would have to have had a foal prior to 10.I dont know if they still have this ruling as I dont do the royal.
    I often wonder how many judges actually check to see if a colt has two descended testicles or a mares have correct breeding conformation???

8. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I thought it just meant that the show had unregistered classes and Pinto was asking if they should be allowed in SOS. I personally think getting papers just for the sake of getting papers is a bit silly. As you say any horse or pony could get registered somewhere as something, but it doesn't really make them a breed. Even if a breed only show there there are unlikley to be classes for every society in existance anyway. So it is either limited to just the breeds they put classes on for, or they also have an any other registered, and any other non-registered horse/pony classes I guess.

Either way if there are classes for the non-registered I think they should be allowed in SOS, but if no classes for them on the show program then that's the way it is!

Allowing unregistered breed horses to show with the registered breeds is another thing and I don't think should be allowed, at least not in a fairly serious show. Like an unregistered arab/QH/TB showing with registered ones. No papers then no proof they are the breed you say they are!
    Cheers

Danni

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Im with you.

Unreg Classes should NOT hold classes for Colts/Stallions. ;)

I know we still allow Fillies/Mares to enter but its slightly different.

I think Unreg Fillies/Mares & Geldings should be able to compete in the SOS or Grand Champion.

I had a filly born last year, Anglo. Sire is Reg (& dam is), due to no Stallion Returns, no Notification Fee paid etc etc, this filly was unable to be reg, although she has the breeding behind her.
    A shame as IMO she's a lovely type.

So yes, Unreg Fillies, Mares & Geldings should be able to compete for SOS/Grand Champion.

10. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Yes..This question is ONLY for the SOS Line-up's..

Not for the individual breed sections..

Also saying that an unreg horse/pony etc shouldnt compete up against a registered Breed of horses in SOS etc..

Well my horses are both only Pattern Registered(pintos) ..So are technically NOT a breed(as are alot of other registries) so what is the difference in letting them compete in the SOS and not the Unreg's?

Also agree..and this will be changed in our program:)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  11. cuddly_pony

cuddly_pony New Member

I think that unreg should be eligable for SOS
    For example equine rescues rescue horses and ponies and sometimes they do not come with papers so if that horse gets adopted and gets taken to a breed show they should be eligable its not their fault that horse/pony did not have responsible owners before they were rescued I agree with Kintara it should be the best pony or pony on the day whether or not they have a peice of paper:)*

12. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have an unregistered horse that I show in hand occasionally.
    She generally does well in the unregistered classes but I'm not bothered by the fact that she can't go up for SOS.
    It's part and parcel of having the horse that I do.
    If people want to be a part of those classes, then they need to take it into consideration when they purchase the horse/pony.
    Being unregistered she can still go out and kick some registered butt (well maybe one day), in the dressage or hack arenas
    and that to me is worth far more than a SOS sash or garland.

13. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

14. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

My horse was a kind of rescue too. I took her on because she was headed for a tin can.
    The fact that she has turned out to be such a nice animal is a bonus and I'm grateful to those shows that offer an unregistered class which allow me to show her off a little.
    IMO they are breed shows. They are advertised and run as exactly that.
    Shows for registered breeds of horses.
    Remember, this is just my opinion.

To me, to compete under saddle at hack or dressage day and maybe beat a few of those that have taken out a SOS's title, is a much bigger achievement.

15. My response would be NO they should not be eligible. All of the other Supreme winners must meet their breed standard. You do not know (or have no proof of) what breed you have so how can you compete for a SOS breed award?

If you do want to compete then get your horse classified and registered with the ANSA or ASPA. They cater for unreg horses and ponies.

16. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

The thing is..This still isnt actually a breed(same with pinto's,bucky's,dun's,pallies etc)..So what is the difference with having a piece of paper saying u r with this Society to not having a piece of paper??

17. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Thats my query too, they still have "breed" classes for the coloured horses when technically they are a colour/type not a breed yet they are still in the SOS so what is the difference?

18. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Being the owner of a pure bred BUT unreg (wasn't foal recorded) shetland I appreciate the fact that most shows hold classes for unreg horse/ponies but I do feel that they shouldn't be eligable to go for SOS as there's no 'breed' definition for them to be compared to, if that makes sense.
    I believe that in the unreg classes the judges would normally just be looking for good general conformation, nice movement and well turned out, where as in a breed section ie arabs, they would be judging on a horse being true to type, so in my way of thinking if you throw an unreg horse into SOS with other breeds how do judges know what the bench mark for that type of horse is???? Sorry waffeling now...

19. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yer but they dont hold Breed (inhand/saddle) classes for these
    Associations. ;)

20. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Same thing again...What are pinto's,bucky,s etc judge upon??Mainly conformation...I would hope when it came to the SOS ,conformation would be the main thing they would judge first then look at the other things..

All the colour registries have so many different types in them...And so does the unreg..

So when a judge is stuck judging these colour/pattern registries they are pretty much doing what they do in the SOS where they r judging a wide range of different types..with ALOT of them having NO parentage...So then it normally comes down to the horse with the best conformation,nicest movement,coat etc.

did that make any sence....lol