Should I do the Prep3 test

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Andhi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I am thinking of doing the Prep 3 test with Xena this weekend at Perth.
    Am I insane? I haven't ridden a dressage test in hmmm maybe 12 years.
    should i????

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Prep do you mean preliminary?

3. BeccaBoo

BeccaBoo Well-known Member

Do it. Even if it all goes wrong, you can just grin and call it a 'learning curve'. A long as you know the test I dont see why you shouldnt :D

4. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

Well of course you should do it Andhi!**)
    It's a nice test to start off on, then by the end of the year you can do the 2.3 !
    Just go to Perth and give it ago you will regret it if you don't do it.
    Best of luck**)

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

go for it wont know how you go til you try it:)*

6. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

GO FOR IT!!! :)*
    Your looking for an eventer are you not???
    No better time to start dressage like the present!!!
    The more tests you do (no matter if its on xena or your new horse you will have) it will be beneficial for you as a rider, you become more comfortable with the tests (and if your the type to get nervous the more practise the more confident you get).

7. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Ok :) U guys have convinced me...im going now to learn the test EEK...fortunately it is easy.
    Will have to run through it with Ms Xena tommorow - gotta set up a make do arena first.

8. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

nope prep as in the prepatory tests :)
    they come before prelim

9. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

hehe and your not allowed to use the i havent done a test in 12 years my sisters 14 (in september) and did her first ever dressage test on sunday. haha so no excuse everybody has to have a first dressage test :)*

10. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Yep, if I'm riding on Sunday I'll do a test also :) I love the feedback you get with dressage

11. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

ANHDI! A prep! Lol, Prelims are pretty basic, if you can canter safely away from home, go for the prelim if it on offer.

12 years. pffft. It's like riding a bike (or is that a horse?) You never forget.

12. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Is the dressage not pre entries?

13. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Nope no pre entry

14. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Go for it Andhi!!! I will coax you along... I am just spewing I can't do it with Paddy until he is all organised for Newcomers.

Dressage is good because you can look at your remarks and learn from it. Last time Fiona and I did it with Cody and Whisp and we knew our own and each others faults before we got the judges remarks, sure enough it was all written on the sheet so we went home and practise!

15. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Thanks Wildsteel I do know that lol but just thought that Andhi is more than capable of doing a preliminary test. Go for it Andhi, where is it. If I'm free I could come along for support. :)

16. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Xena and I have just started cantering at home, we aren't ready to canter out in public yet. Which is why I am going to do the Prep 3.

Simbin its at Perth - I am competing in the Unofficial Walk/Trot and the Prep 3.
    EEK

17. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Ok then do the prep whatever you feel most confident at.

18. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Hi Andhi, I did my first ever test a few months ago (I'm a mature aged late starter), you took photos actually. I planned on doing the prep, and told myself that if it felt okay, then I would do the prelim. Although I was on a schoolmaster, I was more worried about myself, my memory and how I was on horsie out and about............So it all felt fine, I did the prelim, and came 3rd !!! Entries on the day, see how you feel. Worst case scenario, it goes pear-shaped - not the end of the world ;) Have fun

19. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

oohh that means i should have a go too...i have never done a dressage test in my life!!

20. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Coda, you should definitely do it ! It's very encouraging at PHPC, I told the judge I was terrified and that it was my first test etc. and they were so nice to me. The prep tests are a very good way to start.