Sheath Cleaning & the Bean

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by entreat, Apr 21, 2009.

1. entreat

entreat Active Member

Hi guys, I just wanted to make a community anouncement to gelding owners about their responsibility to clean their boys.

Cleaning the sheath & willy is one thing, but you also need to check for a bean. It is a firm build-up of smeg (oily penile secretions) that collect in small 'pockets' around the urethra.

The following was removed from a well-cared for gelding that was very healthy - asside from a recent accute inability to pee. He was straining for a full day & not a drop came out. It had the Vet & the owner stumped, but I had a suspiscion as to what caused it...

[​IMG]

This came out of the 'front' 'pocket', and the vet removed another half the width the next day. I suspect there's still one more in there as there are three 'pockets', but the gelding is now able to pee again.

Imagine having a peg on your privates for over 24hours.

It variably takes months to build up a small bean, so this has been building for years. Please check you boy, especially if he strains to pee.

2. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

Now thats NASTY!!! Poor boy it must have been incredibly uncomfortable for him. Glad it was picked up and no doubt he is feeling much better for it.**)

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Can someone suggest how to attack this problem. My gelding is extremely shy and we have tried and tried to get at it but no siree, hes not having any of it.

Any suggestions.

4. Fiestymama08

Fiestymama08 Well-known Member

LOL Sim Mich was having the same problem with Jet. Teenage girls deffinately don't want to deal with that stuff it's "Yucky".:p*#)

5. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

hey - mayb you may b able to advise on this...
    a month ago my boy had some oily muck on his inner thigh - and his sheath looked a little swollen, but i wasnt really sure, i dont study that area often ( i know, bad me!) I mean when he pees i notice that its pretty clean and doesnt have build up of flaky skin - so all good in my book!
    after a day or two it cleared up... so didnt think any further, tonight i get out there and the oily/sticky mess is on the thights again and sheath is well n truely swollen, I tryed to clean with water, but its too oily to come off, he coped with me hosing it anyway,... but i still dont know what to do with it or what it is... any ideas? or should i just take him to the vet 1st thing in morn?

6. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I get my horses teeth done every 6 months or so. I get prepared for the geldings & stallion with my gloves & sorbelene cream :)
    As soo as they are sedated I do the big clean :)
    I have a couple of times done the stallion by giving him some fresh poo to smell .....which he immediately stands over to pee on. So I grab him & give it a clean.....otherwise he sucks it up & I just cant get it LOL :)

7. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Good thinking KC - that's what I plan to do with Jed .. he's getting his teeth done on Sat, will have a 'quick squizz' down there while we're at it. Good time to do it :)

8. KC Quarter Horses

LOL ....thats what I reckon :). They always hang it out when sedated so it is a great time to do the clean :)

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Lol Jed has no shame .. hangs it out any time! But as soon as you start eyeing it off to see if its still all working ok .. *poof* its gone haha.

Good ol' sedation .. :D Relaxing the mind .. and body lol

10. Secret85

Secret85 Well-known Member

My pony almost never sticks his out.... :(
    but when he does put it out (on the few times I have seen it over the last 4 and a half years!) It is fairly clean (and short - He is 7, and my familys 1 year olds is longer than my boys!). He doesn't even put it out to wee - he just 'spray's', and generally gets a bit on his belly.

11. entreat

entreat Active Member

Debonair, You can use a mild detergent if it's really built up (baby shampoo), but the issue with that is that typically detergents remove too much of the natural oils & bacteria. People often use oils (baby oil, vegetable oil), or cold creams (sorbelene) instead, or even a water based lubricant (KY, etc).

Your boy may be getting a blockage in his penis (potentially from a bean like the one in the photo), and it's unblocking all in one go. A swelling sounds like he's also developing an infection, and does need a thorough clean (and maybe a shot of anti biotics from the vet).

Sadly for the horse at my yard, he's still not well. The damage may already have been done, or there may be another issue that needs addressing. But time is running out for him. He hasn't had a decent wee since Saturday...

We all know it's a 'yucky' job, but it is an essential part of keeping a gelding. And can potentially be life threatening. I know even people at my yard think I'm a bit odd for playing with my horses wang so often, but if having a unblocked wee-hole is the least I can do for my boy, then I'm all for it!

12. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

thanks for your advice... i will try n get some products on it n clean it tomoro... u make sense... they cant exactly keep it clean themselves can they! one of the joys of owning pets!

13. entreat

entreat Active Member

An ex-BF of mine had a horse that would... um... get 'excited' at a sheath clean! I can understand why you would want to clean that!!! But truth be told, it made it easier to hold on to!! EWWW!

14. yuck my pony only has to see me and drops his out :( i dont like it.. perverted pony..

holy s%&t thats a big bean :eek: ... might get the vet to come look at my boys hehe

15. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

Don't shoot me for asking. I've never really had a horse who will let me really have a look at his wizzer. But what exactly is the bean, are we suppose to actully clean the hole as well. I try and give my horse a good clean, stick my hand in and try and get some of the gunk out all very gently but I didn't realise we had to actully clean inside the wee hole?

16. KC Quarter Horses

Next time you go to clean his sheath or get an opportunitu to grab it & have a look, you will see that sometimes they can get a build up. You should be able to feel it or even see it.
    I do believe some horses are more prone than others, but its good to always check :)
    You will find mares can get a similar build up between their udder :)

17. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

What are the signs of a horse having a bean?

The reason I ask is my friends horse pees really weird. He stretches reeeaallly far out and then pees without hanging it out. After he has finished then he hangs it out?

The only other thing I thought of was that her saddle is quite large and may be resting on his loins. As he always does this after exercise.

18. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

The Horse Herbalist website has a natural product called "Willy Wash"...
    I saw it advertised in horsedeals and in hoofbeats.... I am considering getting some of this for my baby...

19. entreat

entreat Active Member

I can take photos if people need a bit more help.

The bean isn't actually in the wee-hole, but in behind it.

Troppo - I'd look for a bean in him. It may be his natural position, or he might be straining. The last two boys I saw do that had large beans (not as big as the one in the photo!!).

I like the idea of Willy Wash, but it won't remove the bean if there's already one there. But it may help reduce build up.

Glad this has people thinking about it. :)

20. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

So I go in behind the penis in the outer area? I got alot of black clay like gunk out last week from around it but my boy gets stage fright as well :) and he doesn't need to be sedsted when he gets his teeth done. I suspect he has not had it done for along time.