Shades of Buckskin.

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Remaani, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Remaani

Remaani Guest

This is my newest filly, sire Cremello, dam Bay (pinto).
    Someone told me she's going to go as dark as the hair around her eye's, it doesn't matter what colour she is, but is that true with buckys? ';'
    Do i expect her to darken up - or she'll stay pretty close to the foal coat colour?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I cant say I have seen that many bucky's grow from foal to adult - but Bays certainly dont go as dark as the hair around their eyes when born, otherwise 99% of bays born would be black LOL
    Its just the black points, i dont think her coat will darken much more than the colour she is now :)*

3. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

If she follows the pattern, she'll go really dark when she sheds her foal coat, then lighten up a bit the shedding after that. Not sure about the hair around the eye colour though.

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Well if she stays nice & dark around the eyes - there is no need for makeup at shows huh? :p :D

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Hey Remaani, buckskins are weird and wonderful things, you never know what youre gonna get! :p

This is ours:

1 day old
    [​IMG]

As a weanling
    [​IMG]

As a yearling
    [​IMG]

2 and a 1/2 year old
    [​IMG]

3yo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Kiraspark, that horse as a 2 1/2 yr old, and 3y/o, has the most amazing colour! Its really unique, and awesomee :)

I love buckys soo much..
    Sorry to kinda change the subject :p

7. Nice foal Remaani regardless how dark would she go! I have a minimal experience with buckies, all mine didn't have black goggles though, so the colored up quite golden nicely lol!*#)
    Kiras, what a journey of predicting the color of your horse!!! Like a chameleon!:} Lovely horse anyway!**)

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

WOW very interesting colour chages Kiras! ;)

Cheers guys - i'm not fussed what shade (light or dark) she goes but would love to keep the dark hair around the eyes! :p

9. nimetyau

nimetyau Well-known Member

Spirit as a foal 1 month old

[​IMG]

About 6 months old

[​IMG]

She is now a similar colour to Kirasparks girl as a two year old.

10. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

LOL Kylie we will have to compare our bucky's as they grow! My boy was born a fair bit darker than Kat, wonder if he will go similar to Kirasparks, or a totally different one altogether! lol

11. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Those two are what I generally refer to as one of the shades of 'burnt' buckskin - looks like they've been scorched or burnt whilst their soft spots remain lightish in colour. Very attractive shade of buckskin and one of my favourites **). Notice in the new born foal photos that both have dark shadowing across the shoulder and in the neck hollow which is a probable indication of their eventual shade. Remaani's doesn't so she'll probably be a standard bucky shade.

12. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Oh yes, I see what you mean Tintara. Thats interesting to know. **)
    I have some more newborn photos that you can see the dark shadowing more clearly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Great pics also Nim - love the changes!
    LOL K, absolutely.
    Thanks Tintara, i see exactly what you mean.

I had a bucky filly born in Feb this year (was PTS sadly 5 wks later) & she looked "bay"... no other stallion except Mooney went near her but she still looked "bay" LOL.
    Though just after she was PTS, her colour results came back, she had the Creme gene, i knew it just the colour really got me LOL. So it's nice to have a standard/normal coloured bucky this time round - no denying the colour!

14. Tintara

She probably would have ended up a similar colour to Brayside Butterscotch because she looked bay as a baby too.

15. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Im very intersted in this thread, and Remaani i often look at Kat's pics, then Riley's and they are so different, his tail is mostly white still! lol

Seems there have bee a fair few Bucky's born this year, we will have to do a progressive colour thread :)

Heres Riley @ 3 weeks[​IMG]

16. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of buckskins, you never know what they'll end up. I would guess that Kylie and Dan's will end up as gold coloured buckskins. Scotch was born very dark, somewhere between a chestnut and a bay, with a red and black mane, and look at her now, a brilliant colour :) but I never would have guessed when she was born.

I have had quiet a few brownish buckskins, a colt we had born last year was silver/black born and is now jet black so we are sure he is a smokey black buckskin, yet to be tested. And our two this year are different colours yet again. One is a real chocolate liver colour and the other I'm not sure of.

Gerbra the white in the mane and tail can last for a good two or more years. Butterscotch's mane was honey and black and our yearling from last year has heaps of cream in her mane and tail. Butterscotch also still has light hairs at the top of her tail still today which I think is called Frosting.

One thing is for sure they always keep you guessing.....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  17. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

We have had 2 buckskins born here and one is a nice golden colour (same sire as Kat) but the other was born light bucky, went like a burnt buckskin, lightened up again but still is a bit darken than a golden bucky....

Spirit (By Mooney)
    1 Day
    [​IMG]
    Few Months
    [​IMG]
    Now
    [​IMG]

Lilly (By a Pally Connemara)
    1 Day
    [​IMG]
    Yearling
    [​IMG]
    2 year old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Hope so Dollar, love a nice golden buckskin :) 2 years? really? thats not to bad, i was worried that it was an odd colour or something lol

Seeing other people photos, theres some extreme changes :)

19. Tintara

As cream works by diluting red pigment, any red hair in the mane and tail will be diluted to cream or white (just like it dilutes the red pigment in a chestnut mane & tail with palominos). A lot of buckskins have white hair at the top of their tail and along their necklines because this hair is genetically red - you can see it in bays and browns. It is called frosting but differs significantly from the frosting found in genetic duns - in a cream dilute it is white or cream because of the reason above, in a genetic dun it is the same colour as the body coat.

20. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

hmm this is interesting :D
    My bucky doesnt look quite like any of the foals ^^ will he go lighter or darker?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]