Severe Ringbone & barefoot?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Kellys, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Kellys

Kellys New Member

My horse has severe ringbone and is wearing corrective shoes. Since a shoeing 3 months ago she has been lame and her ringbone has progressed rapidly. She is still slightly lame but paddock sound and I am able to take her for 30 min walks as some exercise.

Now not trying to start a shoes vs barefoot debate but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me and found going barefoot made their horse more comfy? I thought maybe the shoe may ad to the concussion and cause more pain but i could be wrong.

Can anyone recommend a good barefoot trimmer. Little scared as I have had one hacked her foot!

The vets and farrier have pretty much given up on her and told me not to waste anymore money on her, which I would spend every cent I could if it would make her more comfy!

2. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

I would take the advise of both the farrier and the vet.
    These people make money from treating your horse and THEY are telling you to PTS.
    It will save your horse a lot of pain if you do it sooner rather than later.
    ( I do understand, my horse needed to be PTS and I cancelled the appointment so many times to "just try this one thing that might work" it only worked to remove money from my wallet and keep the horse in pain for longer. Much to my shame now)

3. Kellys

Kellys New Member

The vets have not said to put her down. I specifically asked them that and they said no she does not need to be pTs. The bone will eventually fuse and that will make the pain subside. Yes she is uncomfortable trotting on a circle but she is still happy and walking around the paddock with her mate. I just dont trot her. The vets have said I can still ride her at a walk, which i havent done yet. I don't see why I would put down a horse that is still happy and not in pain. Even of she can't be ridden she is still my best mate!

What they said was dont waste money on treatments to get her sound. Sorry if that was not clear.

4. Lucyloo

Lucyloo New Member

Try speaking with Dr Bruce Ferguson. He has done with my old retired horse and really made him comfy.

I would also look a little further into the barefoot thing. Not an expert but if she isn't being ridden (or minimal riding) maybe no shoes is an option. But I don't know enough about barefoot and ringbone to really comment.

5. sodashi

sodashi New Member

You could try starting her on turmeric. There is a group on the popular social network site called Turmeric Users Group which will give you a lot of useful information about managing and treating your horse. Sorry don't know about the shoeing issue.

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Sorry I read the "told me not to waste my money" and assumed that the PTS solution was the rest of the advise. Mostly because the "don't waste your money, PTS "was what I was advised.
    I am glad that your horse is paddock sound at the walk.

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

Ringbone is very painful and very hard to treat. By the sounds of it, the only option you have is to retire her a paddock ornament until the pain is to much for her. Why then would you have shoes on her? I am not an advocate for barefoot or farriers. You only need some who will trim her on a regular basis and keep her feet in balance.

8. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Is it high or low ringbone? There are surgical options you can go for if money is not an issue. For high ringbone you can have a procedure done called arthrodesis, it's basically fusing the pastern bones together so they can't move which provides pain relief given that it's the movement of the joint causing the pain. You can also have a neurectomy procedure done, which involves cutting the nerve that supplies the sensation to the lower limb. This is often a last resort procedure and these horses become high maintenance as you need to be thoroughly examining the foot regularly to check for any injuries given that they cannot feel if they have hurt themselves. It's also not always permanent as the nerve can grow back. The time taken for the nerve to regenerate depends how it's performed. For low ringbone a neurectomy is your only surgical option as the joint is too difficult to access and therefore arthrodesis can't be done.

I'm sceptical as to how tumeric will help. Are there any peer reviewed research articles out there that have shown it's mechanism of action and efficacy in treating ringbone? I'm sure if you don't mind spending money then it wouldn't hurt to feed it (provided it doesn't have negative side effects). Just don't get your hopes up that it's a miracle cure for a progressive bone disease like ringbone unless it's proven (I've never seen it recommend in any veterinary texts).

9. Priently

Priently New Member

Ringbone is basically arthritis and so it is progressive. Depending on the severity (I don't know what cases of ringbone your vet has seen) it is treatable with a course of Adequan, usually also Legend and full time turnout. He is probably lame on the other leg from compensating, and if his feet are very bad that could also be the case.
    Be careful when rotating the hoofs back to a "normal" position as any drastic change can cause severe inflammation of the ringbone and potentially lead to founder. As bad as they may be, it might take 6 months to get the feet "normal". Get him trimmed/filed slightly every 4 weeks if you can to speed the progress.

It really depends on the severity - but all you can do it treat it and try to slow the progression. The horse is going to end up having to be put down from this - you just have to decide when and how much treatment (read: money) you want to put into him first.