separation problems

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by BLH, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BLH

BLH New Member

hi i have a 16.2hh thoroughbred gelding, hes great on the ground and in the paddock, however when i decide to go for a ride the problems start, hes fine in the arena as he can still see his paddock mate but still chucks a few wobblies, but when i decide to ride out he starts to panic first it was head shaking then rearing and striking out and now bucking. we cant always ride out together as the other rider only rides about once a week. any suggestions? apart from only riding once a week with the other rider and paddock mate.

2. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

If you have access to a paddock large enough to lunge him in that is away from the other horses where he can not see them much similar to when you take him to ride out try lunging him in the area and make him work until he settles down and gets over it saves you being in danger of being on his back, and will hopefully teach him he has to work and he cant get away with it :)

3. BLH

BLH New Member

awesome thanks

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

BLH, I feel its important that you understand why he does this behaviour. He does it because he does not view you as the leader in your relationship (with him). When you fix that one aspect, the problem will go away, as will the wobblies and other issues under saddle and on the ground.

If you don't know how to fix the relationship you have with him, there are great clinics on at times, or you could get some books from the library etc, or try reading back through some old posts on here for some ideas.;)

Good luck, and I hope you get to ride out safely soon.**)

5. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

When an issue makes a horse dangerous to ride you are better off fixing the problem on the ground. I agree with Deb2. This is a leadership issue. When you say he is good on the ground, what ground work have you done? It may be worth getting a professional trainer to help you. What a lot of people think is "good on the ground" will often show obvious issues to a trainer that will be able to see that all is not "good" at all. The problem is easy to fix you just need to stay safe doing it which is hard to explain in a post as when things start to go wrong with a horse they can go very wrong. You need to go back to basics and fix it from the ground up so as to keep yourself safe and fix the horse properly rather than trying to fix a specific problem as the leadership issue is likely to manifest itself in another issue later on down the track

6. BLH

BLH New Member

thanks heaps guys, any suggestions on what books to get and also suggestions on people that do clinics that are highly recommend?

my first horse was a great quiet standy so haven't had to deal with much training

7. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I have a seperation issue i have been having with my horse. I recently attended a clinic which helped me a lot. Basically there was lots of ground work (as mentioned above) and then when i was in the saddle, I rode near his buddy, whilst doing so I was told when ever my horse went near his buddy, make him work hard, then ride him away and ease up on the work. It made him learn that being near his buddy was hard work, but being away from him there was no pressure to work etc. This is a very very basic description of what we did but its worked. Also splitting up his buddy has helped, we ran a portable electric fence downt he paddock (as we didnt have option to move paddocks), effectively split paddock in two with 5m gap so they couldnt actually touch each other (but could see each other). This helped too.

8. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

My idea of thinking, would be to make the horse work harder next to it's buddy (lunge ect) and reward better behaviour away, repeat ect. I did see some footage once about it. but am having a hard time finding it, if i do i will put the link up =)

9. Roodog

Roodog Active Member

Warwick Schiller has a couple of short videos on you tube that talk about separation anxiety and how to work through the issues causing anxiety in the horse. I've been watching them as I have a mare that can lose the plot even when there are horses in paddocks around her. She is improving in confidence and the relapses are less often.:)