Separation Anxiety.

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by sausages, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sausages

sausages New Member

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with my Anglo Arab gelding.

He has a pretty bad case of separation anxiety from our other two mares, or any other horses he is with. If we want to ride out off the property he won't go out the gate first and causes issues by spinning on his haunches and trying of run back to the other horses. If he is left alone in his paddock while our mares are being ridden, he will gallop up and down the fence line the whole time and get all sweaty and tired. He will even go over jumps in the paddock while he gallops around. I hate taking him to shows with my horse because all he does is stresses out if Im riding and he can't see her and we can't leave him tied to the float because he might hurt himself.

Recently they have been on spell down in Perth and the three of our horses are on the same property but my mare was in a different paddock to him and our other mare who he had been spelling with for over 2 months. Today, the mare he was with left the property to spell elsewhere, he was placed in the same paddock with my mare. He has payed absolutely no attention to her and has spent the whole day since trotting and cantering around the paddock neighing out. He has cuts and scrapes all over him from trees and he is puffed and sweaty. He is pretty stressed out and just can't relax. He seems really unhappy and this makes me feel sorry for him.

We have tried riding him out alone but again he is difficult to get out the gate and becomes really spooky on our ride.
    I was hoping I could get some advice on calming him down when he is by himself, and helping him gain some independance, because he does rely on our mares to keep him 'safe'.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. I_love_equines

I_love_equines Well-known Member

If you type "separation anxiety" into the Google Custom Search bar beneath the banner on the top of the page there are a couple of threads that had lots of info in them from not that long ago :)

Good luck, it's a frustrating thing to deal with!