Separation Anxiety - What Successes Have You Had?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Go the Distance, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Seperation anxiety is interesting I have discovered. I have not dealt with it for many years but it has raised its ugly head in my paddock at the moment. We are working on it and winning but I have had to go really hard with the ground work and gaining respect when ridden to knock it on the head.

Retroremedy put me onto some of Warwick Schillers stuff and I found it great. I like how he doesn't make an 'issue' with the separation anxiety but fixes other stuff and invariably the separation anxiety gets dealt with along the way.

It has worked for me with my two mares really well. We now have two horses while the one left in the paddock will call and occasionally run about the one I am working concentrates and will work with me.

Changing our discipline for a while has caused it to raise its head. With endurance you throw a leg over and belt off out the gate or get thrown on the float and floated away. So the space of time for that whole 'We can see each other but we are not together' is minimal. It is much harder to stay home and work in the arena.

Anyway just sharing my success and how I fixed it. We still have a way to go. The dominant mare (Witchy) needs to be yarded solid otherwise she just runs through the electric fence but she is improving and is now not smashing up against the round yard gate in an effort to get out. She is much more settled.....and how I am dealing with it is much better too.... I am just ignoring it and keeping it all about me..... look at me.....look at me .... look at me:D I feel like like Kath and Kim:lol:

2. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Great to hear GTD :). You can address the other one in the paddock in the same way....get someone to take friend away and then work her in the paddock, let her rest and if she carries on work her and repeat until she calms down and then leave her alone.

So great to read about your success!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

We are trying to work through the same thing but it only occurs when we have both our horses at events and take one away from the float. At home they are fine to be ridden separately and fine to take out if you've only taken the one horse, but when the mate is back at the float, it's all on!

We've just been practicing taking them places together and riding them separately. Which was working until we hired the XC course at SEC last weekend, rode horse #1 and left horse #2 in the steel polocrosse yards. All fine. Rode horse #2 and left horse #1 in the yards, was fine until horse #1 came galloping over to meet us way out the back of the xc course :eek: Turns out he can jump quite well from a standstill! Not quite the lesson we hoped to teach :blink: More practice required...

We're considering earplugs for the horse left at the float, as during events there are times that nobody can keep an eye on him so it is best if he can't hear any neighs... and then hopefully won't reply and play out the whole drama.

4. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

yep, Warwick Schillers stuff really helped me with my neurotic nellie.

Once I stopped labelling it as "separation anxiety" and trying to fix that specific problem, once I started just working on ground work and establishing respect and leadership, she became a completely different horse.

Although paddocking her separately also did a world of good, she somehow put herself into the paddock next to her mate and couldnt figure out how to get out again, so I left her there. I am just about at the stage where I'd like to turn them back out together and see how she copes.