selling the problem horse

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by corporate pride, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

Give us ALL his background. Have you seen a trainer /instructor to help you? Have you ruled out veterinary problems? Have you had his teeth done and re-checked?

IF say he has raced, then already proceeded to be passed around, hasn't got any vet or teeth problems and you HAVEN"T seen an experienced horse worker - then yes - I would say he would be a candidate for being put to sleep, otherwise, see to all the above first. I agree yep there are plenty of other good horses out there but that doesn't mean that this horse doesn't deserve to have his behaviour investigated. He very much *might* be one of those good horses that is trying and has been trying to tell his owner for a while that something is not right and she may not have been 'listening' very well.

2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

*hugs* what a difficult situation. i bet you're not feeling much love or kindness towards the horse right now either & perhaps regret buying him & wish you had your old horse?

people will tell you one thing or another & it's up to you ultimately to go with what feels right for both you and your horse.

i bought a horse who grew progressively more difficult for me to handle. i felt it was my responsibility to ensure that i had checked out EVERYTHING with that horse. so i basically had a year of no riding, but lots of groundwork (under an instructor), bowen, massage, fiddling with his feed. we even saw an 'animal communicator' to see if she could provide any deeper insights. after that, i got a riding instructor who has over the past few years helped TREMENDOUSLY & i'm simply not in the same headspace with the horse as i was in the beginning.

this is how i see it.
    as others have said, the only type of person who i could happily pass this horse on with full disclosure & be guilt free, would be an experienced & confident rider, for a long term home.

and WHY would an experienced and confident rider be WANTING to take on a horse with unpredictable & sensitive behaviour?
    they wouldn't. simple as that. and there was no way i'd sell the horse to anyone less.

so that's why i plugged away with my horse & learnt how to ride him & things got significantly better. but he was never a 'dangerous' horse and he certainly had no mad intentions. just sensitive & unpredictable.

i think as a PERSON with heart and integrity it's your responsibility to, by process of elimination, figure out what's causing the problems with your horse. at least then you can make an INFORMED decision with your head & not just your heart.

maybe you need some time out from him where all you do is feed & maybe brush him. i know there were days where i could barely LOOK at my horse let alone ride him, so when i was in that headspace i avoided deep interaction so i could just clear my head & start from scratch later on. then once you're not in an emotional place anymore, reassess.

i do recommend getting your instructor or an experienced & kind friend out to see him so you can talk & vent & perhaps do some games on the ground (or ride if that's what you want) before you make any heavy decisions. having someone else there can help you stay rational & 'present' so you can talk things through. internetz advice will always be two sided & just confuse things further for you.

whatever you do, your decision needs to be rational & not emotional.

3. Jes_bm

Jes_bm Active Member

Blitzen I 100% agree, great advice :))

4. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

**) Just what I was thinking.

Horses don't just "do" things. I am finding horses are so much like human kids/teens/tweens/whatever :) They do things for attention and they start off on the nice end of the scale gradually working their way up to shouting and having a tanty. So when a horse is trying to bring your attention to something they'll start off at the nice end of the scale (lets use saddle fit as an example) so as you're putting the saddle on they'll turn their head and nudge you as if to say "hey mum, that isn't the most comfortable thing" and if you don't listen they will work their way up to shouting which is bucking/kicking/rearing. So, how about before ending this horses life, listen to what it is saying to you...

But then in saying all that, there are some kids out there that I just wouldn't want to deal with but it's against the law to have them PTS!*#) And some horses issues may run too deep for your average rider to handle.

Hope all works out for you :)

5. fitgirl

fitgirl Active Member

Well said Blitzen! :)

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Ditto !

Pmsl - theres 5 pages of comments..and the OP hasnt said anything else *#)

Cheers
    Lee

7. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

Sorry i have not read all the posts but i have dealt with a similar horse.

Two years ago I was 15 had much experiance with typical ponies who yeah were naughty but definately couldnt deal with anything with real issues. So was searching and searching a nicely bred wbx came along- very cheap. It was no coincidence he was cheap- he was a BUCKER. His owner was a year older than me and bought him from a sjumping home as a good honest alrounder. Anyway silly enough after a few rides we bought him the owners were so so honest with us told us all his details and bucking history. Wr got him home and had no problems for 6 months as of course we were watching ourselves, after this six months the bucking was back and it was not the typical he had is head on the ground hind legs in the air. To get straight to the point he had no RESPECT for me or anyone else he was boss and that was it. a month later we had his issues down packed though he will never be that trustworthy horse even though he hasnt bucked for a year and he is out eventing at an average level. Anyway aim for the little story was his next stop was the knackers, this girl lived with vets, instructors etc but the problem was in his head and he knew his house was his territory where he was king. I personally think he deserves a second chance there a many people out there experianced enough to put there thumb on the problem and if not they can get to that level. Most important thing is that you are honest with the new owners.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

You are right Sugars Mum I do not know you.

I only know what is written by your own daughter in her own words in her own time for all the public in the whole world to see.

That is not false or defamatory, I did not post it. I have never commented on any other forum but this.

9. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

hi i'm back....WOW 5 pages!! i thought it would be 2 of "send him to the doggers"

oik history:
    i got him for free under weight but came across as a quiet nice horse. later i started to get out his issues. he is a crontic pawer that drives me insane but i can deal with that. i started feeding him up and irding him in lessons where he showed good promise, then i decided to spell him over winter coz i just wanted weight on him. he started to get very piggy with his feed and would kick out and be pushy when i had feed. i talked to a trainer and he told me to introduce feeding rules. i did and he learnt quickly that he waits over there until i say he can come in. he got very bad seperation anxiety to the piont that i could'n't take my other horse away without a total melt down.
    he was paddocked with moonlights horse woofy and we fed them all usually around the same time. a few times she would feed her horse locked in the arena before she would go to work. she was walking with her horses feed through the paddock (one big open property with only boundery fencing and a shed in the middle) to the arena to feed her horse, marco turned on her and kicked out at her and kicked the phone clean out of her hands. i contacted the trainer again and i uped the anty on his feeding rules to include a lunge whip. he was going fine. i started to ride him again on the property and started taking him to pony club grounds for a showjumping lesson. basically poles and a 30 cm jump. i took him out and led him around to show him the grounds. he started to jog, get in my space. i calmed him then he would suddenly squeal and strike out at me. he did this a few times. i put it down to feed as i was fattening him up. so he was VERY explosive and i got on and rode him in the lesson, tried to buck me off a few times but started to listen when asking him to work uphill. i had another lesson a month later but this time i had cut out all his hot feed and got there very early to show him around again. i showede him around and let him eat some grass then tacked him up. i put a line on him a lunged him for 5 mins to get him in the zone. i had a lesson with him and he was better then the last one but still tried to buck me off a few times. we ended up having a good lesson. i then spelled him a month later. i have brought him back into work slowly and lunged him and i had cut his hard feed off since november. i took him out on a trail ride he was behaved even though my other horse wasn't. i lunged him over jumps and had a lesson with him. this all happened on the cool days since later january. i took him out to henty riding under the lights and he was fine. he did have a hissy fit (not sure what he does but sort of throws himself around) then my truck broke down so no more going out :( i took him to adult riding club on sunday it was the first one and the same club grounds he had been on a few times before. my truck was fixed so i took him in that. he was good, i rode him around the 30cm jumps to warm up and get him listening. i started on one x rail, he bucked going over it, i stayed on and continued. we did a mini course and he was great. i gave him a rest and he stood there for a bit. i then took him back out to go over a few more jumps and finish. well the first jump he bucked, i fell off clean, landed on my feet then my knees, he turn and kicked me straight in the face and shoulder. three weeks previous to that he had started stricking out at me on the ground. i went and started ground work to teach him to stay off me. he was fine knew it all well.

his saddles fit, they where fitted to him. in my opinion the buck was irrelevent to what followed. i've been bucked off, reared off, spooked off, fallen off from my own stupidity, but never had one of those time did a horse turn and aim a kick at me.

i can't remember who asked, but no he's not one that rears.
    i'm not prepared to take him to a trainer to work it out. i spoke to a trainer the day it happened and he was very concerned that he would start doing it more so now that he got me. he also said that it's total disrespectful of the horse to do it as he knows it was a thing that has been going on with him. he also said that it's not the end of the road and it could be fixed but alot of time and training will be needed. he would have taken him himself but already was full.

i hope that covers everones questions.......my hands hurt LOL

his previous owner has said that if it saves him from the knackery she would take him back, she can work with him every single day as he will be on the her property.

thanks for the replies :)

10. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Send him back to her! Go get yourself a nice horse that you feel comfortable with. He sounds like he has it over you now it is going to be really hard to turn it around. What you need to be careful of is that this same scenario does not get repeated with the next horse you get ie that you are some of the problem.

Find a trainer or go to a clinic that teaches you about horses body language and demanding a horses respect. Make sure you educate yourself and learn to stay top dog with the horse 24/7 otherwise history will repeat itself.

Best of Luck finding a new horse. Do not rush into finding the right horse for you if you wait the right horse will come along when the time is right. In the mean time learn some new ground skills and research different training methods. Have a play with other people's horses and watch how the person and horse work together.

11. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

thanks GTD.

actually someone in perth is looking for a project horse and i'm a little worried she will think that she can profit from him. i don't want him to be "fixed" then sold on for $$. it could easily end up with the same as what i got now.

oh i forgot to say, he's 6yo TB off the track since march 2009 he had one start, ran slow. the owners leased him to the one i got him off, they then said that she can keep him or find him a good home, they don't want money. i got him.
    it might be best to give him back and it would be like jumping in a time machine and going back with the memory LOL

i test rode a horse today. lovely horse on the ground. i little sensitive when ridden but not out of control. but i got him on a week and a half trial but can't take him out without her being there, she does fly in fly out. i can't decide until i take him out. no point having a nice horse at home and can't take them out.

12. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

sounds like the best to give him back to the old owner CP :)

13. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

14. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Hey , how are you? Kick in the face is pretty serious!!! Are you ok?

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Sorry, I'm obviously thinking of the wrong horse.

I'd send him back to the trainer.

16. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

he doesn't sound evil :p Just sounds as though you aren't a big enough 'leader' for him. I would send him back.

17. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

I've had a horse that lunged at me ears back, bit me, kicked out and reared at me. Took me a while, but I eventually learned so so much about boundaries and leadership, he became a perfect horse and a best friend. And it improved my horsemanship skills immensely. He loves life with his new family now.

Not saying you should neccessarily risk it, but am experiences trainer or person out there can work with him I'm sure. As everyone has mentioned people create problems, not horses. I'd give him a chance, I honestly believe all horses can be trained and learn to work with people safely. :) good luck

18. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Why not?? surely if they put the effort in and "fix" him then they are entitled to sell him for what they see fit.

Who's to say once he is "fixed" he cant be sold on to a more suitable home..

19. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Corporate Pride just send him back and cut your ties with him. You owe him nothing and he owes you nothing. You tried him and it didn't work. If he is sold on for $$ it is out of your hands.

Move him on so you have an open door for anything else suitable that may come your way. While you have him with you neither of you are gaining any benefit. Let go of him if you can bring yourself to do it.

20. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I did the same Jaana, and I regret it. Learnt my lesson in one.