selling the problem horse

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by corporate pride, Apr 8, 2011.

1. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

hi everyone. i'm giving my young horse marco away...want to know is there certain people out there that would take on "problem horses".

basically, marco bucked me off and then lined me up and kicked me in the face. i need him gone but not to just anyone....he needs a very experienced person to take him.

am i wasting my time and should i send him to the knackery or should i persist??

2. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

When you say he lined you up, did he buck you off, stop, line you up then kick?? or did he just kick out the back after he bucked you off?? Two very different things.

I am not one for saving all horses and if they need to go to the knackers well such is life but, could there have been a reason he bucked you off??

3. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

he bucked me off then swung around and lined me up and kicked me.

4. beau

beau Well-known Member

I think you have and know your answer - too many good ones out there.

5. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

yup, sounds like it!!!

6. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

If he's got a nasty streak like you are describing, you probably are best off putting him down. I couldn't live with my self if I gave away a horse knowing what it was like, only for it to kick someone in the head and seriously injure them, or kill them. Make the decision you think is best for you and the horse. If everyone is going to be too scared of it and he just rots in the paddock, he's probably better off dead.

7. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Sorry - I agree with the others. He sounds nasty and dangerous. I certainly wouldn't like to be linked with a horse like that.

Most experienced people dont buy dangerous horses just to save them. He would have to be the most amazing horse in every other way before somebody would touch him. I think its kinder to put him down.

8. agree with this !

9. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Do the horse and the future owner a favour. Put him down.

He'll only get passed from home to home. In the end I bet he ends up in a sand paddock with no care. The horse doesn't know what is happening, better to put down a horse whilst they are fat and healthy, then give it a miserable life.

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

What the others said, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing i'd sold someone a horse who could potentially kill them. Plus who is going to buy/take on a horse with issues when they could own a nice one :)

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

This is a very, very general comment.

Can I ask the circumstances leading up to this???

Horse don't usually just "do" stuff.....it is a reaction to something or someone.

12. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I am actually really suprised that everyone has 'dogged' this horse so quickly without asking for any, not any, background info at all....

We all know that many problem horses are created by problem owners....oh and I am not suggesting that CP is a problem owner LOL

13. Diana

Diana Gold Member

"Put it down" I says.

More trouble that it's worth trying to get rid of a "problem horse".

Usually it's not experienced riders who want a problem horse. It's usually inexperienced people who can't afford a decent horse. Isn't good for anyone!! :(

Just my opinion.

But nannygoat does have a point... :) more info?

14. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

Race him at Cannington. :}

Too many good horses out there. To a certain extent there is NO excuse for bucking, certainly not kicking..... Especially after he'd turfed a rider? And of course, NG has a valid point, well presented. Looking back in 20/20 hindsight, are there any indicators something wasn't right earlier? maybe he could have been trying to tell you something prior? Otherwise if that's just an explosive sudden behaviour I'm sorry, but IMHO Cannington it is.

15. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

sorry my dear, i have to disagree. have seen some nutters, and yup, some of them do go out of their way to "just do stuff".

if it turned to have a go at you after bucking you off, it needs to go. preferably somewhere it wont do the same to another person, and then be passed from home to home. so it has to go to an experianced re-trainer, or in a can.

16. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

I agree 100 % with you, NG. My first horse bucked me off, and as I was coming off he kicked me straight in the back...
    guess what the problem was... ME.

( I am not saying you are the problem CP, just stating my experience) :)
    I ended up selling the horse to a lovely adult rider, and the buyer had full knowledge of his problems.
    He is now teaching an older lady to ride...and frequents showjumping and hacking competitions :)

CP, I cannot imagine a horse acting in such malice with no reason.. Good Luck with whichever you choose. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  17. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Does he do this all the time or was this a one off?
    What is his normal behaviour like has he done this with other people?
    Need more info here before he is condemed.

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

yes, yes & no.

Why would you want to be responsible for someone else getting hurt (or possibly killed). You might find your "very experienced" new owner.....but what happens if this person decides to sell or give him away to someone "less experienced"? It happens you know. Your "freebie" becomes someone elses few hundred bucks and then an unsuspecting person buys the horse.

Do the horse loving and buying public a favour and do what needs to be done.
    If your feeling generous why not send him to a professional trainer for 2 weeks.........see what they say.
    Your conscious will be clear then and someone with some real knowledge will make the call on it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  19. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

you have said what i was trying to say, in a way ppl can actually understand. i think you should do more talking for me. your much better at it. :))

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Glad to be of service JL.......lolol

I must be getting VERY old because I cannot understand why anyone would want to own or ride such a horse. Horses are supposed to be mental, physical and emotional therapy - why on earth would someone want to dice with death on a daily basis AND feed and care for the ungrateful mongrel!!

There are so many wonderful and special horses out there for people to own and love - they are the ones that deserve our commitment.

If the horse "did it as a one off" then a pro trainer will assess the situation.....if the horse is one who's problems have gradually increased over time then the horse is what I call a rat. An opportunist. They do all kinds of naughty unco-operative things until they eventually explode in a tanti-fit.

Why bother trying to be a hero........I don't know any dead heros.

Of course the obligatory replies of checking saddle fit, what are you feeding him and what herbs does he need will most likely infiltrate the thread and to those I say - "Here you take the horse and ride him and see what you think"!