SEC stables

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by mirawee, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mav

mav Well-known Member

not to enter into an argument here but how much does the state government contibute to our 'state' ec? just thinking maybe it could be something to aim for? more funding to improve the arena, facilities etc that cost so much in a one off way?

hope this makes sense am trying to do this while listening to people at work!!

2. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Me thinks for the nmr show i will have to do a early morning run down to the servo for good coffee and food.:)* That is what we did last time for dinner and it was really nice.

3. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

In my opinion the food at the SEC has improved immensely!! Everything is fresh and most of it is homemade, I think the new cafe is fantastic. You couldn't pay me to eat at the old one.

As for the stabling, I can understand why they've made these changes but there is definitely room for improvement. I don't like the wastage created by having to clean out the stables completely each time they're used and really, saying that this system will improve biosecurity is ridiculous. Hopefully, given time and feedback from members of the EFA, the SEC will change and streamline the system a bit.

4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Thats what we did for the last mini show...and dinner in Midland;):)*

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

If I have no horse, I will just do a KFC/HJ's run for lunch, put your orders in ladies!!! LOL

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

pmsl sassy...me me me me me ...but it will be cold by the time you get back :(

Cheers
    Lee

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

lol CG, probably! still worth it tho, I cant wait to eat a KFC Tower Burger...mm yum :p

8. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

lol no a Zinger works burger... large combo !!!! **):D*#)

thanks sassy :))

cheers
    Lee

9. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

welll you know sending an OH to do the food run might be an option LOL....

Or maybe a pizza company will deliver 20 pizzas!!

If they're cold you get them for free right??

10. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

lol Midas, I would do that but my bum of a bf lost his license #( so annoying...

I wonder if Pizza Hut would deliver.... they should... :p

11. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

my OH has his license, and seeing as he isn't a horsey person I'm sure he would do it LOL

any excuse to get away haha

12. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Lol, girls you almost have worked all the probs out. :) **)

13. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

well said RR

ok the only times i have been to the grounds since the new caterers took over, the food was either gone or cold. the drinks were out and when i turned up to watch a friend at the summer series, the water was gone before2pm. having dated a guy who owns his own catering company - the only reason you can charge so much for these sort of gigs is because you EXPECT waste... and you feed yourself off that for the following week ;) the old crew had catered for my weird breed known as vegetarians and i found the food was better than the current crew, and cheaper. just means i will always make sure i have food on me.

as for the stables, just means i wont be booking one now... ever. to much piss farting around when my ponee can stand in a float yard that is bigger and where i can see him. i can understand the argument for the decision but it cant be justified on the grounds of biosecurity.

as a competitor who always cleaned their stable after use, it was immensly frustrating to have to clean it before as well. if 2 people were allocated to clean the stables at "the going rate" of about $15/hour for 8hrs, thats $240 each for 2 days which leaves them almost 13mins in a stable (from years of experience this should be MORE than adequate).

now given that there are many competitors who DO clean their stable (and i think several more would if they found them in a good state to start with) say only half of those stables needed mucking, then only one person has to do them, spending adequate time in each. so $240 for one person to clean stables taking them 2 days. this is less than $2 for each person who uses the stables. say you add another $3 for each stable for things like sawdust and repairs (condsidering now that you are not taking all the sawdust out and that what is left is clean) thats $5 dollars stable fee each person, thats $750 each day that the stables are used - or $1500 dollars for a wkend. so how is the upkeep fee of a stable not justified and why are we having to fork out all this extra? why dont we just charge those using the stables an extra $5/day... i know i would be happy to pay that.

sorry for the long post but if you do the math - it doesnt really add up... so either this is a money making exercise or we had lazy stablehands before. sorry if i offend anyone but really. it just doesnt make sense.

14. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

Is it still $8 for a burger??
    Ellenbrook do delivery for $10.95 a pizza so if everyone puts in $6 we can get half a pizza each :)
    Each extra dollar will cover for people that one half/half pizzas or extra topping etc... Better than a shitty Burger and $2 cheaper!
    Lets do it for arab states haha **)

Oh and im with everyone on the new stable ordeal #(

15. mav

mav Well-known Member

just on the pizza thing - my hubby was telling me there is a mobile woodfire pizza van going around at the moment. you ring him and book a time, he arrives cooks you the pizza in the woodfire and off he goes.... if you could organise a group of people to chip in at each show this would be ideal... no cold pizza and no having to send anyone to get it :)

16. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

Yumm woodfire is wayy better :p

17. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Yep I've been pretty disappointed with the new caterers too, $10 for a sandwich and a no-name soft drink is a bit of a stretch when the food is average. Cold sandwiches/rolls are ok, hot food a bit dismal. Hot chips well below average, and when I was there last the lady was on the phone at 1pm because she'd run out of milk. Pretty dodge if you ask me. Hopefully the contract isnt for too long or people just stop buying it and they have to move out :)

Anyone on here with a fast food type business should see if they can set up a portable stand on event days like the trade stands. Spose it depends on the caterers contract whether the SEC can allow anyone else to sell food there now... Hmmm, All I want is a good hot chips and a real coke :)

18. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

exactly
    what happend to the good old show food??

19. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

well if anyone is keen I'm in LOL:)*

sounds great Mav

20. intendeli

intendeli Well-known Member

buggalugs --- that was extremely well worked out!

i totally agree with you -- i would put my hand up to get paid some cash in hand money to clean out boxes .....

there is some money going somewhere ...... and it doesnt seem to be helping riders or their horses an awful lot