SEC stables

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by mirawee, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

So now that there have been a few weeks of Summer Series, can anyone give feedback on the new stable system please :)

How much bedding do you get in the stable for the $10. How many extra bags have people needed to buy? Has anyone come up with an alternative bedding that is not too expensive and easy to transport to the SEC?

2. eventkid1

eventkid1 Well-known Member

i still dont get the new stable rules... can someone explain?
    haha i have been at the summer series... but not using stables just float yards... will have to ask some people that i no up there

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

It seemed ludicrous to see all those stables left empty yesterday, especially with the summer weather.
    I don't think I saw one horse in there.

4. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

It seems to me that no one is using the stables. I know we didn't, we used float yards off the truck on the grass. The problem I see long term with everyone doing that is the grass wont stay there for long & it will turn into a dust bowl.
    I know of allot of horses that did NOT go due to the high cost & stabling issues.
    I did see lots of horses tied to floats, in yards, tied to rails etc but very few actually used the stables

5. Spring

Spring Active Member

We were the only people who were in the stables on the indoor side of the stallion boxes. I think most people find the whole thing way too much of a hassle to bother with and if we didn't have two stallions I would have just tied to the float like everyone else. The bedding was just enough so we didn't need to use any extra bags. We did end up paying the extra $20 for them to be cleaned out though because it was such a hot long day I couldn't be bothered removing every bit of sawdust only to go home and have to clean out another 9 box's (lazy...I know) I personally think the whole thing is a pain and turns out expensive :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

y dont they look into flilling the stables with white sand..

In the long run it last longer easier to muck out and would be cheaper.

7. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

I think white sand would be too heavy to cart out.

OK - first week I used a stable with 2 bags of sawdust. I felt the sawdust probably wasn't enough and if I had my horse in there I would like 1 or 2 extra bags. Didn't take too long to clean out though.

The last 2 weeks I have just used a stable without bedding. $5 well spent I say! It's just one of the ponies :p and he is in and out of the stables so often I figured it wouldn't hurt to have him standing on concrete. I just clean out the poop, chuck some water on the florr and give it a scrub and a sweep. Too easy :)*

8. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

How many bags did you get? because I saw what one bag did at week one(practically nothing) and I figured you would need at least 4 of those bags for a decent coverage.

Also it would be safer to have none if you are only getting one bag as the horse may want to roll(thinking that there is no concrete) and cut up their flanks.
    All I will be doing is using float yards and we have an awning attatched to the new truck so that will be pulled out for shelter.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

thats the whole point u really dont have to replace the white sand..

they go back to the orginal way they had it but instead of saw dust the have the white sand(pretty much the same as claremont).

U pay a stable fee and make sure u clean out your stabe etc..if u are not cleaned out u get a fine.

10. shaz71

shaz71 Well-known Member

didnt they say they are not allowing float yards to horses tied to floats??

i think its a crock of *&^%, its time consuming booking, espcially when the stable plan does not work and then i have been told the key person isnt there til 7am! now i get there for 630 and its going to stuff me aorund.

i think white sand is a better option, :)

but in the meantime a lot of people are unhappy and we need to go to the top to complain or nothing gets done :confused:

11. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I like your idea pinto, i think the whole new system is actually going to loose the SEC money.

Looks like everyone is just NOT using the stables = loss of income for SEC

for a showie like myself, i pay an EFA membership and get the privelage of 3 shows per year, the Novice/Int show, the Winter Gala and the HOTY. Plus the expenses of these shows to enter then plus all the stabling who haa. I show up to 6 horses at each of these events.

Am i better off to let my membership go and miss out on those 3 shows, save my money and pick up 3 shows elsewhere through out the year? = more loss of income especially when you start to think about the memberships that could be let go.....

12. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

Honestly I dont think complaining will get us anywhere, we just need to suck it all up and get over it, if the sec falls on their **** then they fall on their ****.

13. pso

pso Gold Member

I cant see how people NOT using stables is going to cost them money? :confused: Prior to this...most people used the stables, and left them, and the aisles in an absolute mess...The SEC then has to pay wages to people to muck out 160 odd boxes...and provide all the bedding....Costly process, esp as there are events there most weekends...

Now...user pays...You pay for a box, you pay for bedding, and you clean it, or pay to have it cleaned...

Actually sounds to be a very good business decision to me;)

Shaz...when you booked your box, did you state you would be there at 6.30?

14. shaz71

shaz71 Well-known Member

dont get me wrong i think the stables wil be cleaner and healthier but its going to be very costly #( but i have paid for the cleaning, especially after a 2 day show :(

was white sand an option i wonder??

hey pso i was talking wiht another qh showie who told me that keys will be avalible from 7am and no arguments. but i will have to double check, they dont give you an option to state time you are going to be there.

i stuffed up when booking for the next for qh shows and booked a stallion box, so emailed the sec to change to the one oppsite and no reply. :mad:

but the stables needed to be cleaned up, they were pretty bad.

15. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I think the SEC would be better off to charge a fee for each stable i think $30 is a good price, everyone mucks out thier own stalls. If someone doesnt muck out they are fined $50 and banished from competing at SEC until fine paid.

I think changing the sawdust once or twice a year would be ample.

Will be interesting to see how it all works out, i do agree paying staff to muck out stalls in expensive and ALL competitors and stables users should show good courtesy and muck out and clean up your area without being asked - it is common courtesy.

16. shaz71

shaz71 Well-known Member

dont think common courtesey is there at the end of the day. :mad:

i have been caught out by people making "my" little area a pig sty and dont clean up.:(

i get quite anal about having a tidy area to prepare in and clean up as i go but some people dont get that.

so the new plan will sort them out, and if not they miss out and more room for us :))

17. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Nothing will change either unless people are prepared to contact the SEC direct and state their views.

But most people will think that too hard.....

18. myst

myst Active Member

stables

Hate the new arrangements. First Saturday got there, found where the keys were, opened stables, had to spread while someone held horse. Finished tests, couldn't find trolleys or shovels, took four trolley loads for 2 bags and Myst Jr was stuffed. Then Friday night 16th, no sawdust in stable, can't find anyone and had to walk upstairs looking for help while horse again had to be held. Why can't they just ask for a deposit and if it checks out clean after the show your deposit is refunded.What are they going to do when everyone is wanting to clean stables at the same time after a big show. As to sand, not a good idea as horses pick it up when they drop food and nibble around, plus it gets smelly with urine after a while. As to the floats parked over on the grass, they may not be avalable eventually as it is probably going to be leased or sold, that's what I heard. What do we ger for the 15 dollars ground fee plus the stable fee now. Entries are expensive enough as it is. I think a lot of clubs will go to Brookleigh as they will not be able to afford the SEC.

19. myst

myst Active Member

Stables

Nannygoat, I have made my views known but not much notice was taken. Just told that thats what they do in the east and if stables are empty, thats less to clean.

20. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

I just think it's disgusting that for the NMR feature show at the SEC we are told we have to HAVE to have a stable. I live 5 minutes down the road, I have always tied my horses up, quickly prepared them in the aisle and then shown. I then pack up and go home. I don't need or want a stable yet have to pay for one anyhow. As for cleaning them, I think everyone should pay a deposit and that is then forfeited if the stable is left unclean.