Scrambling, help needed

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Bruce the Goose, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Roxette

Roxette New Member

a JR easy traveller float gives the horse room to spread his legs when turning so he can get his balance. go to their website or WA horsfloats and they will send you a DVD on scrambling. It is scarey but after seeing it I don't think I would put my horse in anything else.

2. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

Hi Roxette

I have the CD for the JR and know first hand how bad it can be, unfortunately a new float isn't an option.
    Cheers Tracey

3. Kyandra

Kyandra New Member

Scrambling is a common problem in horses. Once something scares a horse in a float, and they loose their balance, fall, or scramble, it is very difficult, and in some cases imposible to teach them otherwise, however there are lots of ways you can help your horse to feel more comfortable in the float. A scrambler like yours who throws themselves onto the middle divider is possibly one of the most common ones. When a horse is floating, they like to be able to spread all four feet out wider then there body, on the middle divider, this is possible, but on the outside wall, its not, which is why the horses kick their legs to that side and climb at the side of the float. There are a few ways to counteract this. The easiest way is to pull your divider across to the far wall at the back and tie it there, giving the horse much more room to move around. Horses prefere to travel sideways in floats so your horse should imediatley move slightly diagonal and will be able to spread his legs further apart. Another way is to install a bar to the side wall of your float, body height, for your horse to lean on, about a hands width away from the wall, this allows your horse to spread its feet further then its body and will make it feel much safer. Some people even go as far as hobbling there horses legs to the floor of the float, in extreme cases, but i feel that 99% of the time its not required. If you needed to float more then one horse often, perhaps an angle load would suit you better.There are different ways and methods that you could go on about for years but i hope this helps you and your horse.

4. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

just 'dittoing' snoopydoo's comment, the racehorses in england are all floated the opposite way round and all the ponies at the riding centre was floated that way round as well(they changed the float) it really helped the horses, except for when some moron crashed into the back of the float nearly decapitating one of them GRRR

(sorry, not meant to be scaring everyone, just had to vent :p )

5. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Get this, I travelled behind a horse by itself in a big open stock trailer through the Swan Valley last week.

When driving along forward, the horse stood facing the rear.
    When it stopped at lights, it turned to face the front.
    As the car took off to go around the corner, it stood on an angle facing the direction it was travelling in.
    As the car hit cruising speed, the horse turned back around to face the rear.

It was calm throughout, head down, it didn't lean on anything, no scrambling or lost footing. Facsinating! Now someone has to design a revolving trailer floor.

6. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

my girl is now floated without the middle partition and you dont hear a peep out of her

7. Bruce the Goose

I have just had a full length bum bar made for my float, picked it up this morning, so I can float him with centre divider across. Fingers crossed this works.
    Cheers Tracey

8. denikaq

denikaq New Member

scrambling

Hi, my horse has only just started scrambling after a scar in the float. i have been told scrambling is a mental problem/habit that is very difficult and dangerous to the horse especially if they fall over. we would only drive ten metres and my horse would almost be on the ground.
    apparently one of the only ways of floating a scrambler is on an angle load. im guessing your horse has been floated in a straight float, the difference in an angle load float is that the horse cant move side to side he is more secure.

9. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

Alot of horses start scrambling because lots of people drive way to fast without considering how the horse feels. maybe you could try taking the horse on a few very slow short drives and see if that helps. I dont know alot about scrambling as i have never had a horse that does it.

10. jackie snoek

jackie snoek New Member

please let me know if you get some good advice .my boy started srambling in the float on sunday .he has floated many time in his racing career ( my son use to race him and he never did it to him)sunday was my first time on floating him i hope you find a solution

11. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Hope this works for you, it sounds like it should given he was ok in your mum's float with the divider across.

If you ever do want / need to float him with another horse I had a friend in NSW (high level eventer) who always floated her two horses without the centre divider (in a two horse straight load). She said they find their own "comfort" zone and never stepped on each other.

12. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

i have floated 2 without a divider my TB scrambles to the left. when she is in there by herself she stands on an angle.

13. PPH

PPH Guest

um this thread is nearly 3 years old guys but would still be good to see if the problem was solvered :)

14. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

Yep same with mine only it was a small gravel stone in his ear,the vet looked in his ear as soon as i mentioned the sudden onset of scambling. Bingo he took it out and no scrambling on the way home.

15. Eliva Park

Eliva Park New Member

Hi, unfortunately in my experience once a horse has started scrambling they don't usually stop. Mine only ever scrambled turning a certain direction which suggests, someone may have take a corner too quickly :( You can't train them or convince them to stop and unfortunately need to adjust you float to accomodate a scrambler. ie remove the centre divider and give him double bay width to travel. Or alternatively i have a triple width float set up with antiscrable pads as a two horse. The float is an Amberley and is for sale in the float classifieds if you get desperate :eek: Sorry.

16. Bruce the Goose

wow, my post from 3 years ago.

Well he hasn't stopped scrambling, has good trips and bad, year before last he was fine most of the time to float with another horse but got bad again last year.

I don't even bother trying to float him with another horse anymore. I had a long bar made up for my float so the centre divider can go across to the side and he has more room. It is a pain not being able to take two horses to events but less stressful and safer for my horse.

Think I might have my OH convinced to by me a angle load though, fingers crossed.

Cheers Tracey

17. Dirt Angel

Dirt Angel New Member

My old T/B was a scrambler to the point where he fell over twice, once on a dead straight road in the middle of nowhere and no traffic around. On the advice of a friend we tied the centre bar across, or took it out altogether, and same problem as you, couldn't use a bum bar. Lucky he was such a gentleman and didn't rush off. But I was riding two horses at the time, and despite the danger, etc of it, we floated him on the passenger side when I had to take both. This seemed to solve all his problems.

18. fta

fta New Member

I have a bad scrambler, started all of sudden and I have no idea why. Always easy to float but stopped scrambling for a while and then it reoccurred for no odvious reason. She actually got herself jammed under the partition by the time I pulled up the second time! Lucky I had a hammer and pins that could be thumped out to release the partition. When she scrambles she sits down. Only worked it out what was going on when I drove up behind her. She leans badly on the left wall of the float. So if I put her on the left she is fine. If I put her on the right - (which was rare as the stallion was put on that side normally) then she scrambles as she has nothing to lean on.

Have you even driven behind your float to have a look at what your horse is doing?

But anyway Tracey the reason I put this up is because I just bought an angle and travelled her in that once - very slowly as I was expecting the worst - and too my amazement she didn't scramble or lean. So I'd be tempted if I were you to try borrowing one to see if it works for you. I was sceptical about the sales pitch that they travel better on the angle but after only a few weeks with the angle I am convinced

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  19. Bruce the Goose

Hi fta

Yep, got Dad to float him when he first started doing it and we drove behind to see what he did. He leans to the right quite badly. He has actually dropped his rump down under the bum bar and taken skin off the top of his rump several times too. Not sure which way he leans when on left side of float. I am not even game to try and float him with another horse now. Only float him with centre divider across and he is fine but does stand on an angle.

Definitely want to try an angle load, he has actually been in one with past owners and they never had a problem floating him. As soon as we are financially able (renovating house at the moment) going to get an angle load.

Cheers Tracey

20. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Many moons ago I had a horse that would go down the second the float started moving if he was in a straight load 2 berth and get stuck under the divider, but if on a truck standing sideways to the direction of travel he stood with his head between his knees & didn't move. I still get the shakes when I load a horse onto a straight load float having seen him do it a few times (it was 20+ yrs ago when we used to travel in the float with horse - such a bad idea!!!) I think it confirms the theory that horses travel better if the are not facing the direction of travel - I'm saving for that angle load & the car to tow it!!!!!