Sand Colic

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by smash, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Great thread **) but LOL at Smash, working hard at the feed requirements:D ...me thinks Doc is going to give up his job and hand it over to you *#)

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

BON & TED
    try this LOL LOL LOL and then you will find the post with it in it LOL LOL
    DM = DRY MATTER kgs
    DE = DIGESTABLE ENERGY megajoules
    CP = CRUDE PROTEIN grams
    Ly = LYSINE grams
    Ca = CALCIUM grams
    P = PHOSPHOROUS grams
    Mg = MAGNESIUM grams
    Na = SODIUM grams
    K = POTASSIUM grams
    Mn = MAGANESE milligrams
    Zn = ZINC milligrams
    Fe = IRON milligrams
    Cu = COPPER milligrams
    Co = COBALT milligrams
    I = IODINE milligrams
    Se = SELENIUM milligrams
    Rib = RIBFLAVIN
    Th = THIAMIN
    FA = FOLIC ACID
    VITAMINS ARE MEASURED BY International unites
    International unites 1 (I/u) = 1 over 1 million milligram

now shell, come on mate LOL LOL LOL you know that will never happen LOL
    unless you would like to chat to grumpy bum about the change over
    !!!!what is that i hear you say NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    mmmm chicken
    LOL LOL LOL

3. Medalleon

Medalleon New Member

Hey Smash.... for those of us who are a little slow on the uptake (perhaps I'm the only one here?), are you gonna tell us what your thoughts on the matter are? You say you can see a couple of common factors in those diets that aren't well balanced.... are the rest of us allowed to know what these might be?

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

lol my little impatient medalleon LOL LOL LOL
    well you hit the nail on the head eith this comment
    that is the main factor so far, but it is only from a few that have had colic and the factor could change dramatically if the others could remember what they were feeding when they went down with sand colic (this section is usually full of sand colic posts) so i know there are heaps more out there.
    we will just have to wait to see if any more people post to see if this one main factor changes
    cheers

5. Medalleon

Medalleon New Member

Ok, I'll get back in my box.... but I really do wanna know! :p

C'mon everyone, think hard about what you were feeding your favourite boys and girls when the dreaded sand colic last struck.

6. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Thanks heaps Smash**)
    I think I have a bit of work to do on their diet now. I have PM'd you for further info.
    You are an absolute Gem :)*

7. pso

pso Gold Member

I'm guessing (those long lists of numbers are doing my head in!)...

High phos levels?:confused:

My mum has heaps of colics...yet insists on feeding bran, no vit/min supps, and little lucerne...:p Sorry, I dont have weight measures tho!

8. smash

smash Well-known Member

LOL PSO
    you think those nubers are doing your head in LOL LOL LOL my head has just ran off LOL
    one would have to say that, that would be a pretty unbalanced diet LOL LOL even without the weight measurements LOL.
    as i said, it is early days yet, and some might be able to completely through the unbalanced theroy out the stable door LOL
    but so far, the unbalanced "seems" to be the main factor.
    i think the best bet, would be for people to contact a equine nutritonist in your area (or any erea) and just read up or find out what best suits YOUR horse for YOUR erea.
    lets just hope for more posts in the meantime though so more people can become aware of the importance of a horses diet.
    you are welcome happypaint and medalleon LOL LOL pair of cute rascals he he he

9. smash

smash Well-known Member

PSO
    not really, it is the fact that the feed ration is too unbalanced as a whole.
    so the digestive system is not working all that well.

10. Medalleon

Medalleon New Member

And a big round of applause for Smash in appreciation of all the number crunching she has done for each of us! What a Legend!!!:)*

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

hey you little rascal,
    thank you, but
    i just need more info ok
    cheers

12. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hey Smash, you are doing a great job :)* . I wont be able to get back to you with my ponies weights until the weekend. Need daylight and an extra pair of hands. You are very generous in doing this and much appreciated.

I have done a bit of a comparison with your figures and both ponies are out of kilter with the recommended levels so will need some work by me to sort it out. Leaves me a bit confused because I thought feeds such as gumnuts were complete and the horse shouldnt need anything else but the recommended chaff and hay, eg., on the gumnuts bag it says for spelling/retired 1.5 - 3kg gumnuts, 2kg white chaff and 2kg lucerne chaff. But based on the estimated nutrient levels their feed is short of the recommended levels. It is all so scientific, how different things work and can upset the balance of other vitamins/minerals. It all addles the brain :p .

Anyway, I'm with Medalleon, really want to see what you come up with, so hope other stockies will keep you busy so you can get a good comparison.

I havent yet had a colic (touch wood) but when Bobby starts to scour I start to get concerned.

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

noelle, dont slit your throat yet LOL LOL LOL
    remember, all your feed amounts were estimates,
    dont forget my estimate of there weights could be out.
    so the results could not be counted as accurate. notice happypaint fed her two the same, and yet the results for requriements are so different.
    so dont stress, mate until the correct weight of horse and feed is submitted ok.
    you never know, the results could be smack on if the correct info is submitted.
    ok i will wait for the weekend to redo yours ok,
    and remember, these are just a guide, to help you understand the importance of a balanced feed. you will NEVER get a PERFECT balanced ration, but the understanding of a balance ration will make life easier for both you and your horse (no sick horse, no fizzy horse and most importantly, less chance of a vet bill)
    cheers

14. kelmitch

kelmitch Well-known Member

hmmm great thread!!
    My 15.1hh anglo who is in his low twenties has started having runny poo's.... I was told to try psillium husk, epson salt and oil once a week to help clean out his system.... well he doesnt like it and ate the other horses feed grrrr so the other horse stood and watched him eat it.. dummy! haha
    anyway Ned gets 2kg Gumnuts, 2 household buckets of chaff, pinch of garlic, 100ml oil and am going to start giving him apple cider vinegar for his joints. He also gets 4 biccies of hay in the morning and about 2-3 at night. The other horse is a 15.3hh standardbred, in great condition and gets the same feed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  15. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

So Smash, are the good doers still unbalanced in their feed management??

Can you please do a feed analysis for me?? My buckskin fella is 14.3hh and around 480kg. Very solid boy.

Just ad lib oaten hay and Horse power mineral block ad lib.

I would love to cure his feed addictions and sand probs!!

Please help.

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

kelmitch you need to weigh and measure both horse and feed.
    LOL caroline, and do i estimate the quantity of hay he eats too (i mean like how long does a round bale last) LOL LOL LOL and shall i just guess how much he licks his block????
    caz you are fully aware of the complex variables that go into this LOL
    checky girl LOL LOL LOL
    caz, one would have to say yes, maybe THAT horse is unbalanced by THAT feed ration. a fat horse does not mean a healthy horse, caz, you know that.

if this little exercise helps people better understand what and why they are feeding, then they can only improve.
    now it is early days, and FAR FROM anything proven, and it is just an observation.
    but i see people are having trouble reading that part of my post LOL LOL LOL
    cheers

17. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Great thread Smash **) Just a thought though...perhaps it would be good to know whether or not horses who haven't had colic are on a balanced diet. It would be great if there was some link between the 2 as it may help to save a lot of colic cases. My personal feeling is that every horse's digestive system is different and can tolerate different things, making it difficult to generalise...BUT there maybe some underlying connection, which would be great to find. :)

ETA: Yep, I agree with your last statement...if nothing else comes out of this, this will help people be more aware what they are feeding ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  18. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

well i dont think diet is a major factor of sand colic

sand colic is from the accumulation of sand in the gut

so its whether or not your horse picks up sand

id be asking WHERE your horse was at, at the time, what area and what living situations

19. pso

pso Gold Member

I dont think so WS.....:}

Mine lives on sand, eats off sand, and scrubs his teeth in sand...He's NEVER had sand colic....;)

I know horses who are exposed to very little sand, over drenched...yet colic regularly....

I think smash is right...there is more to it....**)

20. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

maybe horses lacking certain nutrients go looking elsewhere for them, and thats where they pick up the sand?