Safety Stirrups - Do you use them?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Marianne, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

Nope not peacock stirrups will get a pic n show ya :)

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i know we are talking about safety stirrups but one thing i strongly advise is to make sure you can pull your leathers off without to much major force.

ive got those irons that have the bend in them. not sure on there name

3. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Yeah the Kwikouts look good. I agree safety has no price however I'm a little shocked at how high a price it has. LOL:p

4. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

You'd be right with peacocks I'd say Marianne-the one thing they didn't mind about Chloe's saddle at PC when we has our treeless saddle debacle last year:D

5. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I'd ridden in the matrix toe cages on a friend's horse. They were surprisingly comfortably and easy to ride in - except from when I rode without stirrups! They bang around horridly without weight in them. They're a good idea though.

6. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Ok, I ended up buying KwikOuts. They look like normal stirrups. I'm going to try them out tomorrow at the Steve Brady Clinic.**)

7. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Ok is there a trick to getting the right length stirrup leathers? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. But I think I might have to get childs sizes coz I got short legs.:p

8. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

Are these SafeStyle allowed at competition and such? I saw in a magazine somebody jumping with a similar pair.. wouldnt that make it easy to lose your stirrup when your jumping?

I really want to try them but then again I guess I dont reeeeally need them haha

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I use mine in official dressage, no one batted an eyelid.

It is better to lose a stirrup than get hung up in one.

10. jessg

jessg Active Member

does anyone know of safety stirrups you could use if you were doing lessons, so your not using your own saddle? Portable ones maybe? I dont have complete control over my leg so i worry about it getting caught

11. Mayasmum

Mayasmum Well-known Member

Marianne I have kwikouts on my treeless saddle too :)

And yes, I DID buy childs stirrup leathers because my legs are SO short!!! The ladys at the shops just never believe me when i tell them the adult one's are just WAY too long, I pull off my short legs well obviously *#)

12. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

13. katelol

katelol Guest

I remember about 10 years ago an ex jockey won Australian Invention of the Year for developing a small neoprene safety harness that you just velocroed onto the front of your existing stirrups that cost about $2 to make and stopped your foot going through.
    It was absolutely brilliant, but I have never seen it again. Whats up with that? #( We should ALL be using them!!!
    My partners daughter has a 12 year old friend who recently got dragged with her foot through the stirrup and now has several pins in her leg, poor kid. :(

14. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Yep, i use the safestyle and love them!!!!

15. ash

ash Active Member

stirrups

hi beware of the smartrider stirrups, the concept is great, and the fact you use as a step up, but if you have a skightly wider foot, and are not as agile as you once were, you will end up on your butb, real quick, my horse started to move off before a had my foot in properly, but i could not get my foot out quick enough, and hit the dirt, straight on my tail bone, not funny, they did breakaway, but not quick enough. thats just my opinion
    ash

16. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

ASH - did that happen whilst using them as a 'ladder?'
    Good to know either way. I had a look for them in the tack shop the other day but they weren't in stock.

17. ash

ash Active Member

hi flogadog
    yes it was using them as a step, i still have them, but will not use them, which is a waste at $100. but as i said the idea is great but its easy to get caught.
    ash

18. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

That sounds like toe stoppers. Although they cost a heck of alot more than $2 to buy them!!

19. painter

painter Well-known Member

But that could happen with any stirrup (ending up on your but if the horse moves). I wouldn't expect them to breakaway in that situation, but if you fell of the horse, do you think that your foot would come free in every instance if you fell off while riding?

I'm 99.9% getting an eqwest saddle (after last weeks accident) and these stirrups look like the safest for stock/western saddles that I have seen.

20. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I think there are a few stockies on here who ride in the Equest. I'm pretty sure Andhi just bought one?
    I'd like to know if they sit you more upright as opposed to stock saddle.
    Would be great to hear how you get on if you decide to try the Equest Painter. :)