Safety Stirrups - Do you use them?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Marianne, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

At adult riders on Sunday I was told about some plastic safety stirrups that were at Equitana. Does anyone know what they're called? Do you use them and if you do what are they like?

Does anyone use or can recommend any other safety stirrups?

2. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

3. Tiff

Tiff New Member

4. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I have these ones too. :)* great stirrups!

5. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

Same as above, I have Sprenger stirrups on all my saddles too, love them.

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I didn't think the Sprenger are safety stirrups?

I use the SafeStyle ones on my saddles.

s a f e s t y l e

I have peacock irons on my kids saddles and they work! My daughter fell off at Pony Club and the rubber popped off perfectly.

7. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

im another for safestyle

love them :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"The Safestyle is – a stirrup which encourages - proper leg position and seat. Perfectly balanced it correctly places two/thirds of the foot to the outside of the stirrup whilst its added weight improves lower leg position. De rider has a firm grip and the stirrup always hangs correctly off the saddle, without twisting the stirrup leather. The Safestyle is made of solid high quality polished stainless steel and combines safety, elegance and durability.

The Safestyle is a half open stirrup iron which gives the rider just as much support as the traditional, closed stirrup. However, it is this design which makes it virtually impossible that a rider gets dragged if he falls off."

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your ideas, have been checking them all out. Can't believe how expensive some of them are.....*#)

Check these out and you can get them in PINK and you can use them as a step up!!!!**)
    stirrups

9. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I guess what price safety?

Not to mention that horse people are mugs who will spend spend spend!! (myself included..oops)

I like the Quikout stirrups, I think Carthorse uses them?

10. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

I use toe stoppers on my stirrups just in case

11. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I think perhaps these companies work on that theory. I have to say safety shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. It should be affordable for all regardless.:p

I didn't realise there was such a choice. horse-connection who do the treeless saddles sell the kwickouts and I was looking at those too. I'm Libra choices are not my strong suit.*#)

12. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I use the barnes buckles on my treeless.

To be honest I don't know if they work, they were a gift. But apparentely they are tried and tested....I do want to get some peacock ones though, as I think they're pretty foolproof...

13. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Are all safety stirrups approved for PC/ARC or do they have to have EFA approval/standards etc?

Is there anything I need to look for in particular.

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

No body has ever questioned mine at ARC ?? But PC rulings are pretty ermm....interesting on the treeless saddle debarcle LOL ;)

I have never heard of safety stirrup rulings BUT I personally would make sure that they are pretty obviously fool proof safety stirrups as they already have such a big issue with the whole treeless thing (close minded so and so's *#) ) So go the peacock irons, easily visible breakaway ones etc. and that way they can't really question anything....

15. Bloo

Bloo Active Member

I got saftey stirrups which worked wonders when my mare flipped over :O they're from goodwoods Ithink? they advertise in horsedeals every month. They're the nice classic metal look with a bit of black rubber over a swinging joint on the side. they were I think $70.00 but still cheap when it comes to safety. But ffor the little ones I use Toe Stoppers even for learnr adults :)*

16. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Hey B&T the instructor I had on Sunday rides in a London. Woo hoo. I was stoked when she told me she rides in treeless. Her name is Liz Tollarzo (sorry if I spelt that wrong). So they're not all against us. LOL**)

Hum all these options. Food for thought. Going to the Rose and crown for lunch on Sat might have to come home via horse shoppies.:p

17. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

they sound like peacocks:) I have them for my daughter ...glad to hear on this thread that they work**) I hope to never have to find out:(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  18. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

The saying "sometimes you get what you pay for" definately applies to all things horsey and all things safety. Buy better, not more is my motto.**)

19. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

yay we have people seeing the light *#)

At Gidge ARC there a few people in treeless' too, but no instructors yet....

We will corrupt them slowly Marianne *#)

20. GarrynGirl

GarrynGirl New Member

I use KwikOut, so far I have never had to see if they work but I do feel more confident with them and from a distance and even close up you would never tell they are a safety stirrup.

They are not cheap at around $160 but I got mine for $80 at a closing down saddlery sale where everything was 50% off (ooohhhh the credit card hated me that day :)). But as others have said, safety has no price.