Safety Issue - Imported Chinese Horse Floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Nikki_172, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Nikki_172

Nikki_172 New Member

A friend of mine just posted this on another horse forum I am a part of and I thought since I've seen so many of these floats around over here it was best to pass on this info:

"I will add to this later when I have more time, but anyone who has bought a Chinese import float, which are sold under at least twenty other names, should exercise extreme caution in using any of the 240 volt appliances or lights.

In fact it would be safer if you did not plug it into mains power at all. Just been told that none of the wiring or appliances comply with Australian standards and one owner has already been electrocuted. This has been reported to the relevant authorities."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

no suprise. Hardly anything else on them complies to the standards when they get here either!!!

3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Well that would be a little of our fault too as we specifie what we want and how we want things on Imported floats. The Chinese can read our instructions and build to what we want??? Can they not???';'

Like anything it's buyer beware and do your homework, i would think u would be hard pressed to find a float that didn't have anything on it that was imported.

Clbig, i think you need to careful with blatant opinion's that put them all into one basket.

4. ClubIgnite

I wish it was just a blatant uneducated opinion. But, it isnt.
    I have a chinese float which I imported.
    When the manufacturer specifies 'Built to Australian standards' one would assume that they are telling the truth.
    Not so.
    I spent over 3 thousand dollars on top of the floats costs to get the float up to australian standards for licensing.
    This is a brand also imported and sold here.
    There were many dodgy things on the float.(brakes not connected, wiring cut etc, etc.)

Not saying all imported floats are like this, But even the biggest selling import in the state has had its issues with the producers/manufacturers, I know this first hand because the seller told me so. I know what problems they have had.
    I can bet a majority are not up to scratch. Little things dont really worry me, but dangerous things do.
    So yes they can build them to how we specify and they do that- I.e including what sort of doors, paintjob, rugracks, watertank etc.
    But they should not say built to australian standards when they actually are not.

5. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I have an Imperial and there are a couple of things that i would like changed or moved, but as i know of the dangers i can to the best of my ability stop accidents happening. Knowledge is power and overall i am happy with the float, prior to buying it, i looked at 2 other imports and didn't like the look of them, welds where of sub standard and the metal looked weak and not up for the job of carrying 3 horses.

Use your brain and take someone with you who knows floats. As for the electric problems, i don't have anywhere to plug anything into.

6. ClubIgnite

problem is, you cant exactly hop on a plane to china with your float savvy friend can you :D

7. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

But you went with the imported one because you didn't want to pay the aussie made prices and thus get manufacturer back up, warranty and consumer protection.

So your disappointment, while understandable, was the risk you took by going it alone (so to speak).

8. pso

pso Gold Member

I wasnt aware Australia had standards when it comes to horse floats (apart from lights and brakes) so very hard to build to them!!!

9. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

No such word as can't! lol:D

10. ClubIgnite

True, and I can only whinge to myself and vent about it. :)
    Still, its not that bad, the float is good now and still cost less than the exact same would over here under a brand name..

As for going there by the time you pay for airfares etc it disregards the whole point of a so called 'cheap' float lol.

I like the bit on the OP where it says, sold under about 20 different names- very true. :}

11. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

Surely if they are licensed then they have met Australian standards if not the problem lies with licensing.

12. sil

sil Gold Member

I have news for you :) Australian Standards generally relate to such things like the thickness of coating on galvanised steel and so on; if you think anything stating 'built to Australian Standards' means your imported float is going to be a minimum quality then you are being misled by that statement. There is no 'Standard' for floats or their construction - that is wholly down to the person who makes it.

For licensing you are going to need to meet on-road requirements and that is where it may be closest to 'Australian Standards' but they are not the same thing and anyone buying should be aware of that.

I work for a manufacturer that has some product made overseas and also here in Australia and I can assure you that what we see as Australian Standards is very different to what the general public think they are. The only reason our overseas products come up to scratch is that 'we' as a company make certain things a requirement, AND we go overseas to inspect the factories, AND we do quality testing before the product leaves, and once more once it arrives.

All of that takes time and money, and that's where the difference is. In addition to that, buying local gives you the warranty and local companies, regardless of where the product is made, is obliged to stick to Australian consumer law, which gives you plenty of recourse should your float not meet expectations!

13. Nikki_172

Nikki_172 New Member

The point of this thread was not to argue about the quality of imported floats, or to point the balme at anyone, it was simply to warn of a possible danger.

Whether or not there is Australian Standards for floats, there is Australian Standards for electrical wiring and workmanship.

14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Thank you Nikki for posting this thread.
    I for one would never have thought that a float bought in oz that was licensed would have been dangerous so I very much appreciate the heads up re the electrics.

15. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Manufacturers of small trailers (which includes horse floats) are guided by Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1 (new trailers or used imported trailers with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) of 4.5 tonnes or less).

All vehicles, including trailers, must comply with Australian Design Rules (Vehicle Standards).

Clause 9 of Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 42/04 – General Safety Requirements) 2005 deals with electrical wiring and connections.

Nikki, if your friend has doesn't so already, I would let the Department of Transport vehicle safety branch know and if possible, the Federal Dept of Infrastructure as well (who administer the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989).

16. eamon1

eamon1 New Member

It is way too dangerous to be risking suspect bad wiring on a trailer and 240v system, whether it is imported or not. If a loose wire or damaged wire touches the framework or chassis of the float, then the whole float will become 'active' or 'live', in turn possibly electricuteing anyone or anything on it. For the safety of both horse and rider, it is essential that compliance to VSB1 and ADR is adhered to, if not exceeded.