Safety In Eventing

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by blitzen, Aug 16, 2008.

1. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

Not at all eventingchild. All i am saying is that in that video all emphasis was put on the riders not the poor horses i have no idea of your personal experiences although it doesnt sound very nice and for that im very sorry. Honestly didnt mean to offend just saying my opinion which i beleive the origional post asked for.

2. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Guys, you may or may not know but recently a pretty horrible accident happened with eventingchild and her horse. Be careful what you say

Also, I dont agree at all. Yes horses are amazing and deserve lots but how can you can say that about all horses and their owners?
    Eventingchild pm me if you want to talk :)

3. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

Ok ladies and gents,back on track please.
    Individual cases need not be mentioned at all.
    Thank you.

4. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

You can say that about any horse activity. When trying to outsmart grass (ie grazing) becomes a horse sport then you might have a valid point. :)

5. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Only bringing it this up for respect to the horse (and it's rider) but there was another jump related horse death in 2005 which was a pure accident like Ceasers ... I can't think of any other jump related deaths since I've been eventing in WA (which would be about 10 years). It's a superb record to note IMO. There is a good safety ethos in eventing (well in WA) which has developed in the last couple of years prioritising safety for BOTH horse and rider and it is something Eventing WA should be proud of. This was very evident at Harvey horse trials earlier in the year where the going was obviously an issue but worked around and ridden safely by all who attempted the course which was great to see.

I don't believe the "horse horse is made to do it" argument holds true as anyone who has ridden a horse xc knows its obvious wether the horse wants to do it or not - quite honestly the horse won't make it to any level where there is significant risk (say *?) if the horse doesnt want to do it. If you had seen both horses being ridden XC prior to their accidents both obviously enjoyed their job and as a product where significantly successful.

I believe both were pure accidents - like many eventing deaths (both human and horse) world wide of late. I do not think it fair to victimise the riders this these accidents happen to for purely competing in their sport ..... I have seen animal crueltly in every equestrian dicipline - none is void of it sadly. Just because an incident happens out in public on a XC course or race track rather than behind closed doors of a stable doesn't make it any more sinful than the rest....

esy

6. Jez

Jez Gold Member

THIS was the first thing i commented on when watching Springbok at the SEC....couldnt see any ambulance there, nor did i see an ambulance at Serpie...if the oncourse ambulance has to leave the track NO rider is allowed to mount up until a replacement ambulance is oncourse. A doctor present or first aid post really isnt going to cut it if someone needs a defibrilator.

7. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

i think my post needs to be read again and properly this time. i wasn't attacking anyone i was simply stating that a lot (NOT ALL) handlers and riders don't take into consideration what their horse needs are. i am not aware of any recent accidents of personal issues anyone has had, i was saying everything from an objective point of view.

i'm sorry for whatever has happened and please know that i didn't mean anything as personal attack. and i'm sorry you took offence to it eventingchild.

8. springbok

That is the case jez ... You just haven't been at an event where XC is running at the time. An event stops if the ambo leaves .... I've seen kids on course at serpie for 40mins waiting for the ambulance to come back - it does get adhered to!

9. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Oh no I know :) I was just letting you know - and reminding everyone that they should make sure they don't write any comments that might offend people involved. Sorry if I sounded aggressive! haha I'm shocking at type-talk :p

10. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

no i didn't take any offence at all. ;)

11. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

a lot of the horses do love it that can sometimes be the prob and yes some parents do buy their kids horses they arent ready for ...they usually dont make it past prelim without realising tho.....interesting to note at harvey this year there were a lot less falls when the course was slippery and dangerous ....horses and riders had more respect for the going and were more careful ...and yes its often the simple ones that bring people unstuck...they seem so straightforward and no its not just the riders the horses get sucked in too...worst accident ive had was over a simple 18 inch fence...concussion partially collapsed lung and three broken teef ...thanx again beau for taking me to hospital

12. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Trust me, the ambo is there at Brigadoon. They drink a mountain of coffee! :)

It is practically the first thing that is booked when organising Brigs I and II. And yes, I recall an occasion that one ambo came to take the place of another that had to ferry someone to hospital.

13. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

as far as i am aware, it is compulsary for EFA events to have an ambo there but for PC not. we have been struggling to find paramedics to be there at our events, and so we have had to resort to using medical staff. im not 100% what their qualifications are but they are at least RNs.(defibrillators are portable these days btw)

and i would disagree that the rider is the first one that is thought about... when eventingchild had her tragedy (sorry you prob dont want to hear this summ) all we knew was there had been a fall and everyone in the group i was with went OMG i hope ceasy is ok, summers state came second. as far as i am concerned, the horse does take #1 priority. if it was me, i wouldnt care what happened, as long as the horse was ok. we strive for their whole lives to keep them fit and healthy, ensure that they are happy and sound, but as in everything there are accidents. we do what we can to ensure that we not only ride safely and to the conditions but also course designers (should) endeavour to make a course as challenging as possible without comprimising its safety. at the end of the day we choose our sport, we know the risks. i rode my first 1* on the wkend, i was nervous because the horse is green but i also know the horse is capable. at the end of the day we accept the risks involved, endeavour to minimise them but they will be there.

14. noangel

noangel New Member

Was not a horse killed at log fence last year?

15. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

There have been 2 killed there from what I know. I'm not sure if I'm in the right to say this but I am under the assumption that it was due to a dodge jump construction.

16. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

only one horse had to be destroyed at log fence.

err i dont think that at your level of course building expertise should you be knocking the construction of a jump. i know the people that constructed jumps on that course and i'm sure they will be ecstatically happy to know that you think the construction of the jump had in some way caused the injury to rider and end up having a horse to be destroyed.

if you had been at that jump when the accident occured you will have seen that the horse failed to take the jump cleanly.

each jump on a course is inspected and passed by a steward. if a steward feels in anyway that a jump is constructed wrongly or considered extreme in technical difficulty for that level then the jump is pulled from the course or fixed/rectified to conform to the rules/level.

That was an A grade jump, my daughter competes at B grade and i would have been quite happy for the jump to have been in a B grade course. It was a simple log, big yes but still very simple.

As a rider or parent of a rider you have the right to pull out of any competition when walking a course if you feel you or your horse are not up to the standard or ground conditions due to weather have made the going dangerous. Everyone that rode that day must have felt happy with the course or they wouldnt have ridden.

And a rider has the right to voice a concern to the steward if they feel there is an obsticle on the course that is wrong in some way.

17. springbok

Agree with all that Sherreme said.

I rode the course about 3 riders before the horse had a fall at at the log fence ode last year and that fence was one of the simplest on the course .... A COMMON scary trend - the simple fences are the ones which these things are happening at :( . I have no reason for it but think it very unfair to come back to the course designer when obviously you haven't got the facts right - all it was was a suspended log in some trees!

There WAS a fence on that course which was questioned by all the riders and we approached the steward about it (as well as the length of the course which wheeled for every rider at least 500m longer than stated). They were great and listened to us - the course was officially re-wheeled the following morning and we were given an extra 500m added to the time.

The fence questioned by the riders (I have a photo of it somewhere - as tough as any ** fence!!) was a bounce up a bank to a big narrow chevron ... on an angle. It was the fence BEFORE the one which the horse fell at. The riders raised their concerns with the course designer and they said they'll keep an eye on it for the first few horses and if it's causing problems take it out - fairs fair (unless you're the first person going around - I think it was wipeout *#)). I was actually at the start box listening to relays on the radio about each horse and the course designer made the decision that it wasn't causing too many DANGEROUS problems and kept it in (just eliminated half the class with runouts!). The course designer was worried too - they want all riders to get around safe so it was in their interest to know what was happening at a fence of concern and they did.

I am guessing that is where you made your "assumptions" jess - the question marks on the course were nothing to do with that horse falling and were listened to when the riders raised issues about it and delt with accordingly. Please be very careful making "assumptions" like that in future as you risk undermining the authority of those who are best equiped to deal with those situations and have the most knowledge of what was happening eg. the course designer and TDs.

18. jwithoud

jwithoud New Member

Hi there, just wanted to update that it is compulsory in PCAWA Eventing rules to have an ambulance/paramedic capacity for the XC phase at an event. Rule#33 "Cross Country Test: An ambulance (or paramedic equivalent) MUST be present during the cross-country test."

19. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

Accidents can and do happen and our motto has become " It matters not where you finish as long as you have a rider and horse safe in the vehicle for the ride home".
    I do not understand why some who do not event seem to think that Eventers love and care for their horses any less than other disciplines or that they do not properly prepare themselves or their horses.
    The horses are not forced, I am yet to see a rider win a battle with a horse who truly does not want to jump. The levels on that video cannot be attained without a willing horse.

20. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I think 90% of accidents that occur are rider error.
    I think we are seeing too many 'younger' kids moving too fast up the grades when they dont know how to approach a fence correctly and cant judge a line or distance. Many accidents are also caused by speed. I've witnessed a horrific accident in which the young rider approached the fence too fast and just assumed the horse would jump it....it didnt end well.