Safety In Eventing

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by blitzen, Aug 16, 2008.

1. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

this video was linked in another forum i visit:

E:60-After The Fall - ESPN Video

comments? thoughts?

**********warning - contains graphic footage of bad x-country falls**********

2. caitie

caitie Well-known Member

OMG that is terriable!
    is it just me or when that guy fell off (the one that got interviewed and almost died) did everyone run to the horse and not him?
    Why does it need to be dangerous to enjoy it?? #(

3. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I remember years ago reading an article in a magazine about the dangers of cross country, and the solution they had come up with was something called cross-jumping. So basically a cross country course with showjumping type jumps, jumps that are not solid.

Something should be done to make it more safe but what I am not sure!

4. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Is it the sport that needs to be safer or the riders in the sport?

That video is typical American scare mongering (I'm sorry - I had to turn it off!!) - I don't think videos like that do any good for the sport, quite the contrary. There is WAY more people competing in the sport so of course there will be more falls - I'm not saying there should be but it's statistically logical!

I still think we should bring back the long format but it's unlikely #( . It's interesting that if you look at all 15 of those fatal falls, most of them were at relatively simple fences so therefore changing the technicality of courses wouldn't have prevented those falls. Improving the fitness and education of riders and horses will ensure less mistakes are made and less horses and riders fall IMO.

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Most of the eventing deaths are in the top level group of horse and riders.

You would hope that these people had a fair idea what they where doing.

I for one cannot believe that more has been done to address this.

If there had been this many deaths in any other discipline there would be an outrage.

I don't think it is american scaremongering......I think it is attrocious.

Relatively 'simple' fences - yet people DIED. How simple were they?

6. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

i havent watched it yet
    but I agree with esy
    these problems started to get more regular when roads and tracks were taken out,

7. eventingchild

this IMO after watching it
    I agree with Captian Mark

it is what the sport has become and unless people are willing to go back and make it what it was before
    its not gonna change,

I really want to compete at high level eventing
    these deaths or injuires dnt scare me off

and before if anyone jumps on me
    I have flipped a jump,
    I just manged to get out of the way of the horse,
    I was very lucky
    just scared to crap out of Sonja and Mum,
    I am still out there chasing my dreams :)

and yes nannygoat those fences were simple fences
    they didnt involve much technical movement at all

8. springbok

No, that is not true. You just hear about the accidents that happen to higher level horse/rider combinations because they are in the spotlight. In an article released earlier this year it was identified that combinations at Pre-Novice-Novice level were most at risk as it was at this level where most of the fatal falls occured. You just need to look at each individual accident to see this.

It's not the people who know what they're doing you worry about - it's the people who don't who ride up through the grades ie. to Pre-Novice and Novice quickly.

I agree which if why, as an event rider, I've kept an eye out on when and where these falls are happening and possible expanations for them - horse and rider safety should be the NUMBER 1 priority - ALWAYS. It's how we deal with it which is important. I think educating RIDERS should happen, not changing the sport.

IS it the sport or is it the RIDERS?!

I couldn't find much constructive about the video that thats MY oppinion. I don't think making out the sport is dangerous is going to solve the problem. We need to address the sport CAN be dangerous and minimise risks by riding correctly.

When you ride a cross country course you can break it down to the type of fences - combinations, water jump/s, single galloping fences, fences down hills to be taken on a short canter, fances to move up on etc. etc. Some of these are "harder" to ride than others. The bigger fences aren't always the hardest to ride - they're often the easiest! It's the combinations, fences on turns or angles which pose the biggest problems.

Put simply, the rotational falls have occured at fences which are simple in terms of the course. So ... how to we change the course?! We can't make it simpler as it's at the simple fences which the falls are occuring! It's educate the riders and make sure they have their horses fitter by bringing back the long format.

9. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I often wonder if riders get 'slack' on the simple fences and drop their guard and *boom* rotational fall.

10. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

Thats really frightening.. Has there been any eventing related deaths in Aus?
    Something obviously needs to change but I don't think theres much point of playing the blame game.. It'll just go around in circles -_-

11. pso

pso Gold Member

Anyone care to guess how many horses died at dressage events last year?
    (and yes, there were some)

Is eventing really more dangerous than it used to be? Or do people just see and hear more about it these days?:confused:

Education certainly is the key...So many riders upgrade, without any true knowledge and understanding...Maybe a stricter upgrading standard is necessary? So many performances of a certain standard, before you can do the next level? (as it is with dressage...I think eventing ATM, you get points for winning/placing, regardless of your score/performance...correct me if I'm wrong!:p )

12. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

well as the parent of a 17 year old eventer i am not put off her competing after watching the video.

the concern i feel for her at the level she rides now is no greater than when she was doing E grade.

i would probably have more worries for her safety whilst out on the rodes driving her car (not from her but from the other dickheads on the road)

there are dangers associated with any sport, just go check out the photos on mix 94.5 website for their injury photo competition.

13. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I was on the receiving end of a very spectacular rotational fall some years ago, why? Because I rode the fence badly.
    If you ride inaccurately to a solid fence and end up with a horse trying to take off too close, you are asking for trouble.
    If you have poor control and can't really control where your horse takes off from, you increase your risk by a huge amount.
    If you are riding XC on a horse with poor jumping technique that hangs one or both front legs, you are taking a big risk.
    I believe a lot of nasty falls could be prevented (mostly at prenovice to * level) by accurate, controlled riding and selecting a horse with the right technique to get you out of trouble if you need it. You need to be brave to ride XC but that shouldn't mean reckless or unsafe.
    At the higher levels obviously the rider skill levels are much higher, but it only takes one missed stride, one dropped knee and you're in a heap of trouble.

14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

tb4me, are you still eventing?

some interesting comments here guys.

and how many, PSO?

15. Reg81

Reg81 Active Member

I've only been eventing this season but one thing that I find real strange is the lack of ambulances at the events, whether I just haven't seen them or they are just not there. I always would've thought it would be compulsory to have one there. Races and Trials jockeys aren't allowed on a horse unless there is one present.

16. eventingchild

there is ALWAYS an ambulace out eventing ALWAYS
    they wont start XC until there is one,

17. springbok

I can't think of many (any?!) events where these isn't an ambulance present for the cross country phases although I don't go to all the pony club ODEs. At a minimum you have to have either a doctor equiped with a suitable emergency vehicle and/OR an ambulance - many events have both. Certainly very often if the ambulance leaves, the whole XC course stops until another arrives. There also has to be a first aid service all the time (wish more events other than eventing did this!!). All emergency vehicles must be able to get to all the course.

Re: qualifications to upgrade, no longer to event horses get points - you have to have 3 "qualifying" scores (ie. 50%+ in the dressage, no more than 90sec over opt time XC and no more than 16 jumping faults) in order to upgrade (excluding the experienced rider rule where if they have ridden a horse at *** or something you can take a horse * without qualification).

18. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Geez you eventers have guts! There is no way you'd get me jumping over those heights.

It must be such a rush, looks like so much fun. I defently want to try eventing.... But I think I'll stick to E grade :p hehe

19. Reg81

Reg81 Active Member

Thats what i thought that they'd always have to have a doctor or what ever there i may not of seen them. Maybe some of the pony club ode's don't have them there all the time I don't know,but it was some thing that i have just wondered about often. I think any horse sport should always have some form of medical help around.

20. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Honestly it has got a lot better. In 1956 there was 62 falls at the olympics this year there was like 4. Steadily it is getting safer because expectations are getting higher, it's the 21st century and it is not ok to smash up people and horses in the name of sport.