"Safe" garden plants?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Remaani, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Remaani

Remaani Guest

With us slowly doing our property up now the Insurance Company has nearly finished "coming to the party..", i want to give the horse area a re-vamp, with plants! It's soo bare down there.

I have my tie up area i would like to have a garden bed in front off (rails stop ponies going forward, into future garden bed).
    Scrubs would be nice that flower certain parts of the year but must NOT be toxic for when the mini's are out to do any mowing LOL, plus flowers that are not "too" inviting for bees. ;)
    Don't want anything that grows too tall, around 2mtrs is fine?

Any suggestions or links to sites with suitable plants?

:)*

2. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I use citronela plant, has a small pink flower, i use the leaves to rub over the horses face, they repel flies and mozzies.

They are tough as guts, i hack them right back when needed. I planted all mine from cuttings from someone else, your welcome to come get some cuttings.

I also would recommend some rosemary or lavendar they are tough easy to hack and shape back and also grow from cuttings.

3. Diana

Diana Gold Member

And lavender smells sooo nice!!! :D

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Lavendar deters flies as well

I like geraniums....I heard they deter snakes, and that's why older properties have geraniums around chookyards. I'm choosing to believe this...and haven't seen any snakes around geranium bushes :D*#) Geraniums are also tough as guts!!

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Lavender attracts bees though#(

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks all! ;)

The Citronella plant actually sounds ideal, thanks Scorpio! **)

I know Lavender & Rosemary attracks bees (damn LOL) but they are nice plants, i have them (well starting a collection) in the back yard, the bee issue is a worry but the alongside my yards we have Bottlebrush Trees & they aren't such a problem when flowering?

Wattle, i can't remember what a Geranium looks like LOL so will google.

All sounds good - thanks everyone. :)
    I will have to do before/after pics.

7. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

I have 2 citronella plants next to the washbay :) They also dont need alot of water which is great for all the water restrictions etc

8. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Rem, the plants in front of my barn, either side of the door (pink and red flowers) are geraniums :) They strike easily from cuttings, just stick them in the ground and keep a bit of water up to them until they've rooted. LOTS of different colours available, easy to look after, fill up bare space quickly, don't mind being cut right back.

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Duh... i googled & we have some growing in the front garden LOL! :p
    Just like this:

[​IMG]

Had no idea what plant they were! *#)

Fantastic, i know what i'm doing on the weekend.
    Thanks all. **)

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

^^^ actually they are Pelargoniums **)

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Are they? When i googled Geraniums - that's what i got LOL!

12. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

yeap perlo thingys but generally grouped with and called geraniums :)