Safe Footwear

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by The Old Grey Mare, Nov 11, 2003.

1. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

with all the insurance happenings going on about hats, seems to me that they forgot one thing. how about the feet? saw a lady lunging a horse at a show ages ago, with thongs on. this may be OK to do at your own place, but not a good example for the youngsters to see, & certainly a bad habit to get into.
    many years ago, had a horse stomp & smear my foot. OUCH. as i only had rubber boots on, there was not much in the way of protection. I was on crutches for about 6 weeks & LOL I lived on the 6th floor in an apartment building.
    since starting back with horses a few years ago I have taken to wearing steel cap boots, don't want the toes to get squashed.
    what are your favourite horsey type shoes?

2. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

I had my riding dublins on, on the weekend and i got trod on. This was the first time in donkeys (like about 2 - 3 years), and it was Caz's (horsegirl's) horse and bloomin hell it still hurts as much as i remember...LOL

3. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Did you tread on Caz's foot in revenge ?? Hehe
    [​IMG]
    I like steel caps although they are a bit heavier - maybe one day they will incorporate a lighter version in riding boots .

4. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Oh whoops, that was my fault wasn't it?? I forgot to change my boots and put my chaps on!! Sorry lovey you can step on me next saturday!! LOL

PS And I shall have words with Torky tonight and tell him that he will be up for another 2 hour session if he stands on Aunty Ness again...

5. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Now, I don't want you all to be too jealous about my boots. [​IMG]
    Its taken a lot of hard work and miles to get them looking this good! Also, they give new meaning to the old adage "walk a mile in my shoes"!
    [image]http://www.stockyard.net/boots_comp.jpg[/image]

When I get serious I do break out the $250 R M Williams.

<font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:18pt;">Murray</span></font>

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Haha Murray love the boots!...

I've been told steal caps can actually be dangerous, if they get a hard enough force to it the steal can bend right into your foot where your stuck with metal into your foot. I'd much rather a horse stamp on my foot then have to get the shoe cut off...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

7. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Get your foot ready Caz, Goldpally said I can get revenge. One Jonty horse should make us even. LOL

*Ness tries to line Jonty's hoof up for Caz's foot*

8. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Love the boots Murray . I went into mourning when I had to finally get rid of my boots that looked like that , when the upper left for parts unknown. Well after all , I had had these boots for at least 7yrs , and they had been firstly through the brine and stuff on the floors of the place where the pickles for McDonalds are made for 2yrs , then when I left there, they kept me company around the stables and the yard at home for another 5yrs , helping me to shift house and get a new garden going in the meantime. They eventually got run over by the car one day and that was the end of them. Terrible when this happens. A beautiful pair of Redbacks.
    I used to wear these sort around the stables , but used my RMs for actually riding in , as the others were too wide for my stirrups , which can be so dangerous.
    I have also seen thongs worn around stables and in the lunging yards as well. Chinese riding boots we used to call them and a nut if you wore them around the horse.
    The other ones I didn't like to see when I was in the ring were runners in and in hand class. If you have to present yourself for a ridden class , why not an in hand class?

Jo

9. crave

crave Well-known Member

You must realy love those boots to take a photo Murray! They actaully look very similar to my Blundies, which I cant go without, though they are definately in for an upgrade,

crave

10. Veronika

Veronika Active Member

In the riding club that i'm involved in, we definately take notice of boots...in so far as not allowing people to ride unless they are proper riding boots. That has caused some irritation, but we also make sure that these requirements are mentioned in any advertising we do for a ride. Given the amount of excess that the club would have to pay if there was a claim, we make sure that there is no way that we can be negligent. Or we hope so.
    I personally wouldn't wear steel caps, either, having heard the same thing that Sarah has, about them actually being squashed into the foot. Plus, i find them too heavy.

11. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I always ride in Joddie boots or for showing long boots.
    If I'm not riding I usally just put my Jogger's on.

12. Jacinta

Jacinta New Member

i love my lil joddy boots but now i normally ride in my longboots but when it gets to hot its back to the old joddy boots!!!

13. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

When im around the ponies i usually wear my old "skate" shoes as they call them...think theyre called gallaz or something but i dont like the colour so $150 shoes went straight to the horses! But when i ride i usually wear joddy boots but have been known to ride in these gallaz! *Naughty Me*!!
    But when im at shows i always wear my joddy boots but im looking at getting long boots because im finally going to be riding in the official ring all the time! YAY
    I know this lady who wears little slip on things with no protection....they look like theyre made out of cotton and very thin cotton aswell but anyway she broke her foot when their 8 week old foal stood on it!
    So if that says anything...wear shoes!

Gamby

14. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I get what you're saying about the steel cap boots buti still wear them all the time. A horse couldnt stand on your foot hard enough to bend the steel to cut your foot off, they're pretty tough little boots. And i figure that if something hits my foot hard enough to bend the steel to cut my foot, what would have happened if i didnt have the steel--- my foot would have been crushed to smitherines anyhow.
    I find that when i'm around horses i wear steelies so i dont have to think about my feet, i can worry about getting control of a scared horse and not think too much about my feet rather than the other way around... know what i mean?

~When all else fails and there is no one else around, hug yourself~

15. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I've ridden bare foot before in a paddock, but I'm absolutly paranoid about being bare foot on the ground. Especially when your in the water as you can't really see where their hooves are going to land all the time!

And like you Gamby, I've ridden in my Gallaz more than a few times! I generally wear my old joddy boots for everyday riding and long boots for showing.

- Danielle

16. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Bethy -sorry but it can happen.

My old Farrier had it happen to him. He didn't lose his toes but the metal cut them to the bone, broke his toes etc.

Nikiwink

17. sil

sil Gold Member

Modern steelcaps withstand a pressure of about 1 tonne before they buckle.

Have a little think about the force involved to get that kind of pressure. What would happen to your unprotected foot if the same 1 tonne landed on it? Personally I will take a bit of being squashed by metal any day over having the same load land on my foot bare.

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

18. Telstar

Telstar New Member

A friend of a friend..lol, Recently lost his little toe as he was wearing thongs when putting his horses into the yards. One horse (im presuming it was shod) stepped on his foot and when lifting it up twisted sideways slightly tearing off his intire little toe. Needless to say im sure the man will be more careful with what he wears around his horses! ^-^

<sub> Telstar is mah big baby! *huggles</sub>

19. Becky

Becky New Member

I have to say I love your boots Murray.
    Do they come when you call them? lol!!!!!!!
    I have a pair of old faithfulls that I always wear, not quite in that condition yet but getting there

***** What goes around comes around, so be nice to all****

20. Rohim

Rohim New Member

I have to say i'm a little slack..if i can't be bothered i ride in my sneekers. I've learnt my leason when it comes to boots. If I'm working with a horse I don't know I'll wear my steelies..I've already done the broken foot bit, twice i might add, been trod on by a yealing up at Yarradle and ending up on crutches for 2 weeks befor i couldn't handle it anymore and walked around work in pain just so i could be there, was wearing Jod boots at the time. Other time was also horse related but if was from a fall, had horse land on my with my foot trapped in the sturip under him. My steelies won't actually fit in my sturips so i have to change shoes b4 i ride which is why i stopped using them altogether.

To ride a horse is to fly with out wings