Saddles for Thoroughbreds?? (Western/Stock/HalfBreed)

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Moondance, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Moondance

Moondance New Member

I have a Thoroughbred gelding, 15.2hh.
    I don't know if conformationally or not, he would be considered as having high withers, because I don't really understand what this means, so I will let you see for yourself ....

[​IMG]
    (yes there is another horse standing behind him in this picture, sorry)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently, the only saddle I own is whats labelled as a "medium" gullet Kincade All Purpose, and of course, its come to my attention I hate All Purpose saddles. I don't feel safe or secure in them as I've always used a Stock Saddle.
    And as for the saddle itself being "medium" gullet? It looks wide, and it sits on him like a wide as well, so I'm not sure.
    My best friends actual medium gullet Status All Purpose fits him pretty near to perfectly, but again, I just don't feel secure in an All Purpose.

So I've been looking for a Stock Saddle type, something a bit more "holding" of the me... And I've been told because of the types of backs Thoroughbreds have, that rather than going with a Stock, I'd be better off with a Half Breed, but I'm not sure how the half breed would be a better choice, as aren't they styled more like the western saddles, with the flatter base? How would that help on a high withered horse like a thoroughbred? Others have said go with a stock over a half breed because the half breed has the flatter base and it won't sit right on a thoroughbred, which I would have thought the case, but a friend of mine uses a half breed on her Thoroughbred and has no problems, so I'm lost as far as what I should use on my own horse, I'm a little confused. I keep getting conflicting information on what would be best or not.

I just want something rugged, hardy and holding, like a stocky/western type, with the pads for your knees and all that stuff. AP's/Jumping/Dressage saddles don't make me feel secure at all.

2. Random_Winger

Random_Winger Well-known Member

he does appear high withered (like my stockhorse x)
    i'm using a wide gullet tekna dressage, and he seems to cope well. when using the wintec isabelle dressage, i had to use a back raiser pad due to the saddles shape.

your best chance is to find a saddle fitter, they are gods! :)

3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

No suggestion on saddles, all horses are individual you really need a saddle fitter to have a look and try different ones.

However I think the horse behind yours need its hind end looked at :s

4. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

He is not overly high withered for a TB.
    Basically you generally get what you pay for when it comes to saddles,
    kincade/status are cheap and the gullets arent changeable BUT to me your horse looks approximately a medium anyway.
    I have a bates swinging fender and it can fit anything from narrow to extra wide BUT it is a $2500 saddle..

5. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

try Horselines, they have a website, just google them.

I feel extremely confident in my saddle, and have put it on high withered TB's and clydies, its a lovely comfy saddle, with big knee rolls, and neoprene comfort for the horse.

6. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I ride one of my TB mares in a Wintec stock saddle with changeable gullet system. Her wither & back looks similar to your boy.
    The Wintec Stock hold me in extremely well.

My other mare who is a different shape suits my halfbreed saddle really well & hates the Wintec stock saddle.

7. realalvin

realalvin New Member

the only saddle I own is horseware, and the exercise sheet i used is harrison howard. i've used them for 3 yrs. both okay. recommendations only.

8. Harney Stone Racing

Harney Stone Racing New Member

From my point of view Synthia Horse Riding Synthetic will be the best for your horse.