Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I am pretty little and can ride fine in both of those saddles. I only have issues if there are massive knee rolls, my legs are too short to go around them LOL

2. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

What breed of horse do you have? as i really like the Trainers, and i have decided to get the saddle fitter out, but what if they bring out one of the old models and it fits fine, but the new one doesn't?

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Bertie: the saddle fitter should bring the saddle you are looking at buying ie if you want a new one they should bring you a new one**)

4. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

5. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

Dressage

Trainer's Jessica - I own one and absolutly love it. Iyt is very comfy and keeps me in a nice position. The belly strap is annoying sometimes, but managable and could be removed. That's the only downside, and it is a very nice saddle, seems to fit most horses. I recommened trying it out at least.

Jumping

Wintec 2000 - Yes it's an AP but it was what I've jumped in for about 3 years. Its an ok saddle really, it did the job but it didn't keep me in positon and wasn't forward cut enough really. My leg moved around on it, it pushed me too far forward, and I tended to have a hard tine keeping a good position. both of these became bad habits when it was my only saddle and I was alot less experianced, and I'm pretty much out of the habits now.

Trainers Pro Jump - Super comfy, the lady told me it was supposed to be a very secure saddle but I didn't think so. Could hold a good position but harder then it should have been

Southern Stars - This is what I was looking at/riding in today. I really like the soft, squishy panels, but the seat is a little hard.

What does everyone think of the southern stars, for showjumping as well as for cross-country? Looking at finding one second hand.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  6. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

eventing saddles have a deeper seat as they are designed so that you can be more stable on crosscountry, where as jump saddles are designed with just showjumping in mind, and have that shallow seat.

what sort of issues did you have? just want to look out for them. :)

7. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

My favorite was the orginal wintec it was not even called wintec when it first came out.
    So comfy and so light **)

Plus its Bright Blue

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I have bought the Jessica I was trialling....LOVE IT!!!!!

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

It rocked back and forth on my girl, the back of the saddle kept lifting. So when not riding it fitted really well (or seemingly) when riding it rocked like a boat.

I had Gary out to fit my Isabel and he said it is a common problem in the Jessica, I guess it just depends on your horse though, like any saddle.

10. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

can anyone let me know about the vita mono dressage saddle or the southern stars close contact dressage as im looking into these saddles at the moment **)
    would they a wide backed horse very well? any info about them much appreciated :)

11. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I trialled 2 jumping saddles last week.

Trainers: looked good. fitted my horse good. was comfortable to sit in but i didn't like riding in it and my horse hated it! We don't know why as it fitted spot on but he was very grumpy working in it... so i said nope.

Pessoa Legacy- LOVED IT! fitted my horse 100% was super comfy to ride in and he worked like a dream in it. Put me in a much better position then my last saddle that didn't fit him and he jumps great in it. Its like riding a totally different horse all of a sudden

I was lucky enough to find a used pessoa legacy, it was only ridden in a few times but the price was definatly more in my budget then a brand new one. :D

12. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I just bought a Peter Horobin Close Contact event saddle and its sooooo nice and comfy. I had been riding in a 25 year old Bates eventing saddle and so my new saddle is like sitting in a lounge chair.
    I need to get G*** to come and fit it though because my horse has a broken (now healed obviously) whither and I want to make sure its all A ok :) It seems to sit well though.

I tried the Souther Stars close contact because it looks so lovely however it threw me in a bad position and wasnt very comfortable for me either. Everyone is different though :)

13. megan

megan Well-known Member

anyone tried or seen the new trainer saddle?

14. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

the jumping one??

i trialled it and didn't like it and my horse wasn't fond of it either, but is comfortable to sit in

15. megan

megan Well-known Member

na the dressage one that is on the saddleworld site?

16. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

Had the saddle fitter out today, and tried a few saddles. i too found out i was saddling to far forward!

Wintec Pro (new style) - did not fit my horse at all - left huge gaps underneath, so didn't bother to ride in it - how has anyone else found these saddles.

Anky - appeared to sit ok, but was not as nice fit as the Jessica

Trainers Jessica (new style) - fitted beautifully and super comfy, i have this one on trial and will see what my instructor thinks - I love it! - finger crossed my instructor agrees it fits.

Trainers Jessica (older style) - not as good fit (sits lower on the wither) again a comfotable saddle, but the seat was not as deep - i also have this one on trial and i will see what the instructor says.

I am getting some others to try on Satruday. Will let you know
    My horse needs a saddle with a wide Channel.

17. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

Do you mean the Trainers Jessica Pro?.

No i haven't but i have tried the new regular jessica's

18. megan

megan Well-known Member

yep i just seen them in the hoofbeats mag

19. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Hey Bertie, you sound like you're looking for exactly what I was.

I found the Isabell excellent on my wide load!!

ETA megs, the Jessica pro is pretty much the same as the normal Jessica, but I think a higher quality (and price tag), more suitable to official showing, covered buttons etc. I found it really comfy and lovely to ride in, but rocked like a boat on Jingles...the normal Jessica still looks lovely and would be good for showing

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  20. mav

mav Well-known Member

anyone ridden in an aintree futurity jump saddle? i really love the grainge but want to buy second hand (cannot afford new :( ) and there is nothhng around so apparently these are similar... only problem is its in SA and i cant ride in it before buying it