Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

LOL MR .. so take it you like the Bates :p

I used to ride in a dressage bates, LOVED it. You don't see many come up second hand tho, so may have to get a new one ;) Thanks .. will take a look into them some more :)

2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I was thinking the same thing Cheeki.

I don't mind the look of the Riviera Nice Jump, but dunno if it'd be the same as the older dressage saddle that riviera makes, hard seated and yuck leather...

3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

It's hard to know without seeing it .. and the one I'm looking at is at the other end of aust! LOL! Think I'd rather a new one ..

4. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

And without sounding totally dumb .. can someone please explain the difference between a jumping saddle and an eventing saddle?

5. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

jumping saddle..
    pessoa pessoa pessoa pessoa!!! :D hehe
    iv got the legacy and LOVE it :D
    its soft, not overly restricting, but "guides" me to the right position and i loooove it :D

6. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

eventing saddles are more forward cut!!! generally not as flat seated...give better lower leg stability and what not!!! theres a few bates caprilli close contacts for sale on here and the other site!!!

7. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Cheers for explaining that to me :)

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Isn't the Trainers Pro Deluxe the same saddle as the Pessoa? minus the huge price tag of course.

I really like the look of the Trainers saddle.

I find that Bates saddles (minus the Isabell) tend to have a narrow channel, a bit like the Kieffer. Which sucks if you have anything wider than a skinny TB or Riding Pony type!

9. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

Anyone got suggestions for jumping/eventing saddles for buyers on a serious budget?? I want the impossible, basically - a nice quality jumping saddle with a fairly wide channel and a pretty straight tree (flat backed horse) for next to nothing. Second hand typical prices are more than welcome.

Was wondering what the Wintec Pro Jump was like - the Wintec Pro Dressage is nice and flat for the straight-backed horse and I figured same make basically the same model but with a different purpose in mind probably would have a similar tree? And what's it like to ride in?

I'm considering saving up to get myself a jumping saddle, seeing as Mum said she'll buy me a dressage saddle when she can afford it, and I'm wondering what's available cheaply and still has good quality leather, tree, etc etc.

Thanks all :)

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Had the saddle fitter out last night**) I was so sure of what I was going to buy (Wintec Pro Dressage), and have ended up trialling something completely different*#)

I have a Trainers Jessica for the week...looks great on him and fits great on him...now to see if I like riding in it....fingers crossed:)*

......and learnt something new:) I was saddling him too far forward:(

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Careful with the Jessica, I really liked it too and it seemed like it fitted, but it caused issues with my girl without me realising.

After speaking to Gary I realised why, the newer Jessicas tend to rock alot and just don't sit very stable. Apparantely this is a big problem with these saddles!

I got someone to photograph me riding in it and the cantle was bouncing up and down on her back!

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Thanks...it is an older one:) Looks to be fine, but will see how we go:)*

13. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

It's good that you found out what you were doing wrong, as everyone don't stop learning till the day they die....

Just great that you got the Saddle Fitter out to check and bingo she/he pointed out that you were having the saddle far too forward, so now you know to where it is supposed to sit at.

Cheers!

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

oh ok, apparantely the older ones are really good!

Good Luck, photo's are a must!

Rode in my Bates Isabelle last night after it was fitted last week. And I love it, I can get my legs on really easy now, and can really sit on my seat and sit into my horse. Jings was lovely and responsive because my position was so much better.

I think I need one extra gullet size though. Bloody extra wide horse!

15. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Probably from years of saddling little fat round ponies*#)**)

Saddle fitter was very informative and helpful**)

My little man is a wide..bordering on extra wide and has a heap more filling out to do yet:0

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  16. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I was told the same thing B&T when i was looking at them for my new pony.
    Apparently they changed the styling of them maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the newer ones rock all over the place. They have very banana shaped panels apparently.
    Ha, just realized I should've bought one of them for my older girl. She has a very banana shaped back and drove me nuts trying to find the right saddle. *#)

I'm looking at buying an older style Ambassador.
    Same thing with them apparently. the older ones make in the UK are a great saddle, the newer Argentinean made ones....not so good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  17. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I rode in the UK Ambassador on mums galloway...beautiful saddle**)

18. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

Who did you get out?

19. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

How does the new equisuede hold up on the new Wintec Isabelles? - i like to ride in stickers, i currently have a Wintec 2000 about 5 years old, and that seems to be ok still

Also how do people find the isabelle and Trainers Jessica that are not very long in the leg?

Thanks

20. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

I've just bought a Jessica (new) and I love it! fits my horse great and it doesn't move!!! I've recently had it fitted by Gary and he said it was a good fit, but will need to be restuffed in a couple months because its new and they put very little stuffing in the saddles.

I have short legs and I find they put you in a really good position.