Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

That is good to know..it has been used by a tall rider on a 16.1hh TB with large wither...so fingers crossed**) Mine is the Courbette Fels Bach:)*

2. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

does the Jessica have an interchangable gullet? I love the trainer saddles. I had an allpurpose one for Taz a few years back. Now i have a Isabelle. I like the saddle It puts me in a nice position. Um cant remember who was asking, but taz has a reasonably high wither and im um *large* and I think it fits me and taz well. Though i have had to get a breast plate because the saddle has started to slip back a little, but taz has lost some weight and i think he needs another fitting again (he was very very porky when Gary fitted it). I always thought i would try a Jessica on taz as my next option.

3. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

The new model Trainers Jessica do have an easy change gullet system, which is great! - i am looking at one of these.

4. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Just tried out the Bates Maestro.

What a gorgeous saddle!!! Just puts you in the right position and so much freedom to move around!!! but still somehow secure.

but......just doesn't fit my horse, the channel at the back is too narrow, and just sits too close to her spine for comfort :( Am spewing that it doesn't fit.

I'm going to ring some saddle fitters tommorow and get their opinion, because if I could end up with one of these I would be very very happy!!! but I'm not holding my breath.

5. Rambo

Rambo New Member

I have just recently purchased an Isabelle, which is the greatest thing ever but in the process tried and have:

Icon Dressage comes in extra wide and fits horses with no wither and a flat back (like my arabs) really well. knee rolls could be a tad bigger though. super quality english leather.

Bates Innova I really liked this one but it had extended bloc knee rolls which were a bit over the top.

Trainers Jessica comfortable saddle but found the seat not deep enough, still as though you sit "on top" of the horse not with it.

Bates Isabelle finally decided on the purchase of this one, had me in a great position, close contact with the horse, high quality leather and was fitted to both my horses not just the one which was an added bonus.

what a great thread! look forward to hearing more reviews.

regards,
    Stacey

6. astraia

astraia Guest

I haven't read all the posts so it might have already been mentioned, but if you google "Tack review" you will find a professional website where people post their comments on all sorts of saddles, bridles, etc. It's a great resource. I always have a look on there before buying new tack.

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Great thanks for the input Rambo. **)

I actually haven't tried an Isabel yet. I'm probably going to go for the Jessica, but maybe I should try an Isabel first just to make sure....

Astraia that's a great site, but it's difficult because there are so many mixed opinions.

8. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Nope, not really. I'm only 5'6. But most of my height seems to come from the length of my thigh bone (so from hip to knee) which is why the Innova suits me I think.

9. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I have just bought a vita mono dressage saddle, so i will let you all know how that goes. Love the look of it and its very comfy. Update soon.

10. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Just wanted to add to this.

Tried out the Bates Isabell on Jings yesterday.

I was expecting to hate it because so many people have negative things to say about them, but I was pleasantly suprised.

It was comfortable, put me in a good position and I was still able to move around normally.

I love the wide channel, I think that is really important for any horse. It fits Jings - needs a bigger gullet and maybe a bit more padding, but the shape fits along her back really nicely. It sits a little wide, but I have narrow hips and found the twist really comfortable. Plus Jings is a wide horse so anything that sits me narrow, I figure is too narrow for her.

Out of all the saddles I have tried, this one works the best for BOTH of us!

Definitely a winner!!!

11. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Has anyone tried the Kiefer Genf Dressage saddle (its a synthetic saddle)... I have seen a few advertised here and there, and just wondered what they would be like, given they are in a similar price range to the synthetic Isabelle? Just wondered if they are comparable?

12. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Hey Max,

I've been told by a few people, including a saddle fitter who sells other Kieffers to basically not touch them with a barge pole LOL

They're no good.

I would go the Isabel synthetic, they're always advertised at a decent price 2nd hand

13. i_luv_banjo_4_eva

i_luv_banjo_4_eva New Member

Hi everyone I have a REALYYYY good saddle, it is awesome. It is called the Trainers Pro-Deluxe, its really good and is easy to take care of!!!!!!

Luv Ash

14. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Update on the Vita mono dressage saddle.

Loving this saddle to ride in, puts me in a really good position comfortably. It has a wider twist, might take a bit of getting used to. It is a saddle for the wider flatter backed no wither type horses, has a wide chanel and plenty of spinal clearance, Does not suit narrower horses due to the conforming fit of the mono flap which makes you feel (on the narrower horse) like you have nothing under you past your knee (not nice) The thigh rolls are in a good position so as to not block too much but has an added bit of security for the rider. It has lovely soft leather and a soft seat. Over all very happy so far :)

Also the safestyle stirrups for anyone interested definately help relieve tension in the knees. great for me who has bad knees, very happy with these also.

oh and i have ridden in an Isabell for about 8 years, so getting something else was a big deal for me :)

15. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

was yet again drooling over the vita mono today., and noticed the girth points were quite dry and made of different feelign leather then the saddle?? have they held up well so far?? could just need lots of saddle conditioner.. but made me think :)

16. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-known Member

Can anyone give some ideas on which saddle to get? I am looking at get a dressage saddle for a 14hh stockie flat backed extra wide gullet pony and am wanting it in brown. At present I am just using a wintec 500 AP on her and I am finding that the gullet is to narrow down the middle so is making her tender where the panels at the back of the saddle fit. I am also looking for rough costs so I know how much I need to save
    Cheers Jade

17. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Girth points have been fine, bit of oil and all good :)

18. MissRadford

MissRadford New Member

What a great idea having this as a topic!!

I myself have tried MANY saddles but due to my Purebred Arabian being so broad and "robust" the only saddle I could get that we both enjoyed was the Bates Isabell, it allows the freedom through his shoulder. I compete in both Official Elemetary/Medium dressage in this saddle as well as Official Hacking and it is awesome!! And thanks to recently having it re-fitted he is working like a dream again!!:)*

But... my Anglo boy doesn't like this saddle AT ALL *#) so I thought I would have to start the process again, but I was lucky enough to try a friends Bates Innova with the Standard Blocks, and that day was the start of my new romance "so to speak".:D

So I had the saddle fitter come to a show that I was at in Perth and Ihad a trial saddle fitted to him and it was like having a new horse!! It also allowed me to keep up with his big movement without too much restriction. I was also lucky enought o purchase one second hand but in fabulous condition and love it to bits!!**)

19. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Can I get some ideas on good jumping saddles please? :)

I'm wondering about all saddles .. I've heard that Bates make decent jump saddles?

Thanks in advance :D

20. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

bates bates bates bates bates!!!!! for the price...they are the best!!! i ride in a bates caprilli event that was custom made but my favourite of the lot is the caprilli close contact which is reasonably priced!!! horsewest does them a little cheaper..under $2000 anyways!!!! best quality, awesome fit and awesome saddles!!! I wasted my time with all the cheaper ones like trainers, grainge etc but in the end, you only get what u paid for and for an extra couple of hundred dollars bates is worth it!!!