Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Gonerama, the isabelle did not work for me, but my friends daughter loves hers. I think it is a personal thing really, like anything. They seem to suit a slim build and flexable rider, so as I dont tick both those boxes I got something else that works better for me...now I have a near new isabelle not being used. If you have a tendency to slouch or lean back, the isabelle would definately correct that, but if you have back issues I would try something else. Very comfortable seat though, even for long rides...no pressure points at all.

2. Diana

Diana Gold Member

On the note of saddles making you sore....

Has anybody else found that the Wintec Western is really wide? I used to ride in my friends' when we went trail riding together on her horses - always had bruises (well - very sore!) under my seatbones...seemed like it was too wide? Just wondering if anybody else has found that... :)

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah she's a rather ummm solidly built individual Deb. I have strongly encouraged her to have a ride in one BEFORE she buys. Apparently Horseland have said the reason people find that the Isabel makes people sore is that it puts them in the correct position and causes them to use muscles they've never used before but I dunno. The Genf put me in a good position and I don't feel sore after riding in it ';' Who knows?!

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Mmm... I think it's true to a point - but it shouldn't be digging into bones or anything!!
    I found the same with my Kieffer :D Was sitting up straight and my core was pretty sore (had to hold myself up rather than leaning forward so much!!) and my legs were more under me... But it was a comfortable sore...if that makes sense... :eek: like a "Hey this is how I'm supposed to be!"

5. UndaToka

UndaToka New Member

did the other "non saddle" posts get deleted or moved elsewhere?

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Undatonka, deleted I would say.

If my post caused a problem, then I apologise. It got a bit off track, but sometimes conversations do lead on to other tracks. It was initially saddle related, but then lead on, but anyway, I am sorry if anything I said offended anyone, that was not my intention.:eek:

Gonerama, hmmm, I feel 'correct' now in my ambassador....I felt 'forced' into the wrong position in my isabelle, but I am no expert, so perhaps there is something in what you are saying.

Diana, I used to have a wintec western. They are wide through the twist which usually suit men better due to their pelvis structure. Women ususally are more suited to a narrow twist. If the twist is too wide for your body shape then I feel your hips are rotated out, thus causing soreness.

7. Diana

Diana Gold Member

That would make sense Deb :) the saddle was my friend's partner's (I rode his horse when we went on rides.) :D

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

Hah, that's pretty rich and sounds like a cop out.

If you've been riding in it for years and still feel sore, then have relief when you ride in another, then that's the saddle, I reckon.

Gr, can your sister trial some thru the retailer or saddle fitter if she is buying new? I did that.

Also, I'm a larger rider and never had an issue in my isabel. It was great. I sold it cos it just wasn't working for my horse.

9. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

LOL Exactly what I thought Blitzen **) Mum has a wonderful old stock saddle that, through the way it's been built and balanced properly, puts the rider into the correct position no worries at all. I've ridden in it quite a few times and never got sore ';' I think with some saddles with all the padding and crap they put into them they put, nay, FORCE you into the correct position and you end up pushing back against the padding and I reckon that's what causes the sore muscles is that the rider is constantly fighting the saddle.

10. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Interesting to know about dressage saddles- need to go back and read a few pages I think.. I have always loved my Keiffer Genf but lately finding it not as comfortable.

This is due to how it's fitting my horse, he changes shape so much unfortunately and right now it's low on the wither and tipping me forward. It's flocked and saddle fitter can't fit any more flock in it.. trying several different saddle riser/pads etc but not getting anywhere.

I am actually considering trying to swap it with something that has an interchangable gullet and cair so it's easier to change it to my horse so often. But the question is what too? He has a very large wither, I am nearly 6 foot and I find my femur/thigh bone is quite long, so I need something that caters to tall people!

Any suggestions?:)

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

leon, the keiffer Genf has interchangeable gullets that you can change yourself. your saddle should of came with different size gullets, so maybe hunt down some gullets first before buying a new saddle.

12. Cowgirl Kid

Cowgirl Kid Well-known Member

Borroca Jump

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a Borroca Jump saddle.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows what they are like to ride in and jump in. I like the feel of it on the demo horse but guess it's different on the real thing.

I wanting it for both eventing and a little bit of bush riding here and there.

Worth trying?

13. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Cowgirl kid my OH's cousin has that one and she loves it **)

I think Sonja Johnson suggested it to her...

14. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

This was my problem too, Leon. I recently purchased a Passier Huburtus Schmidt. Many people are moving to the Corona, I think? It is newer and very nice, BUT the Huburtus is excellent for people with the longer hip to knee - which is me also. I've had it for perhaps a month now, and it's great! My knees are no longer burdened by too much knee-roll, even if I have to put my stirrups up more than usual.

15. Ants

Ants Well-known Member

trainers master pony

hi everyone,
    just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the trainers master pony show saddle??

cheers!

16. Lucy11

Lucy11 Active Member

Kieffer 'Garmisch'

Hey, just wondering if anyone has had experience with Kieffer 'Garmisch' AP saddle.
    Any info would be great. Thanks :)

17. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Guys

I am looking at a few saddles for my horse at the moment.
    I'm riding a large WB

I have found the following which I would like opinions on

KN Melodie
    Stubben Genesis
    and a wildcard which I'm not sure is suited a Southern Stars dressage.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for the wide channel for him and a bit more stability for me (currently in a Caprilli).

I realise there are better suited top end saddles but these are ones I can afford at the moment :)

18. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

my ideal is a passier HS as I am long from hip to knee as mentioned above but it's a little out of my price range, and finding a brown 17.5 is hard!

19. Emce

Emce New Member

Saddle for a large warmblood

Hi,
    I have a warm blood who is a big girl and at 4yrs is still growing.
    I tried many saddles which included:
    Bates Caprilli
    Anky Salinero
    Kieffer Sydney
    Peter Horobin Liberty 17.5
    I needed a saddle that I could adjust according to her growth and developing musculature as she trains.
    Most of the saddles I tried tipped me forward and I felt 'perched'.
    The Peter Horobin Liberty 17.5 was the first I tried and everything after that comparatively, while great saddles were just not the saddle for my big girl and I.
    I am short, sitting astride a 17h+ high warmblood. The Liberty just fitted us both perfectly.

The next challenge was finding a year old Liberty 17.5. Most of the second hand saddles were 3 to 5 years old.

Since then there have been modifications which included an upgrade of the leather which makes a huge difference. It is a 'sticky' leather which 'holds' you in the right position = upright - leg and knee where they need to be and the wonderful thing is you feel comfortable and stable and it fits my girl beautifully.

My horses' trainer - an incredibly gifted horse whisperer - Chloe von Hollander suggested the saddle and as usual she was smack on.

So I decided I could buy a saddle that's OK and wish that I had bought the 'right' saddle or just take the hurt up front.

Peter Horobin has been absolutely fabulous and will be up in September when he will check the fitting.

Cant recommend Chloe or the Horobins highly enough.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. Neats

Neats New Member

I found the Southern Stars dressage to be fantastic on a broad horse. nice comfortable saddle too.

I also had a southern stars event saddle that was fantastic too