Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

I think I remember someone a while back saying that your back issues were probably due to your Isabell?

So glad that you have found something else that doesnt hurt :)

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Keep trying different saddles until you really click with one.

I was lucky in the fact that the first one I tried, I just loved and purchased, but dont settle for second best.

With your back issues, you need a comfy saddle....and it needs to be comfy for you, not what others find comfy.

If you really found Blitzens great, could you not look to purchase a second hand one of the same size?

I personally like second hand for leather saddle as the stiffness is worked out of them, but in saying that, I have found the really good quality english leather to be soft right from the start. Synthetic does not seem to need breaking in as much.

Keep trying as you will KNOW when you sit in the right one.:p

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

I have similar issues as you and now ride in an innova. I find that it is good, BUT the fit must very good otherwise it is just awful.

4. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Thanks everyone :)

kp, I definitely agree about the fit having to be right.

Gary is down this way in the next few weeks so I'll try and get him to bring a range of different saddles out and try some others (man, i need more money! Haha)

So we'll see what happens i guess!

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

at least you know what the prob is now & that it's not just you. you've ridden in something that felt right & can look for that same feeling.

maybe gary will have something that also suits & will broaden your market, especially if you're looking second hand.

6. TSN

TSN New Member

Hi all, am hoping I can get some advice on some dressage saddles to try out. I currently have a KN symphonie which I love, but the channel is too narrow for my horse's spine and as a result he's been getting a sore back. So what saddles are out there that are made for horses with a wide spine? I used to have a Trainer's Jessica which had the wide channel but the knee blocks were way too big for my liking, also had the same problem with the KN Melodie and felt too 'locked in'. Budget is not really an issue as I will buy something secondhand anyway.

Was wondering if the Peter Horobins or Passiers would be suitable for him... the PH's are lovely but I thought the channel looked a little narrow in those aswell.

Any help would be most appreciated - I think I've exhausted my options of borrowing friends saddles to try out!

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hey TSN

Peter Horobin makes his saddles these days with a wide channel and they're made on the 'Saddle Fit for Life' principals.

[youtube2]K7xiB6Bwsk0[/youtube2]

[youtube2]y6-t6bHG6L8[/youtube2]

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Any reviews on the Kieffer Munchen?
    I have the opportunity to purchase one and just wondered on peoples thoughts?

9. horsesarelife

horsesarelife Well-known Member

TSN - from what I've seen the PH have a wide, as do the VH saddles and the thinline (laser amulet). :)

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I have one!!!
    I love it :D I don't find the knee rolls too restrictive and the seat is nice and deep (but not too much) and the waist isn't too wide for my hips :D or too narrow. Feels perfect.

It was actually a bit of a shock because I had to put my stirrup length down about 5 holes! (I went from a Wintec AP to my Kieffer Munchen Dressage)

It's a pretty old one I think, so I'm not sure if they changed at all over the years with newer models bought out... It's still in good nick, and sooo comfy. I hope to hold onto it for as long as it lets me *#)

11. TSN

TSN New Member

Thanks for posting those videos GR - very interesting!

The PH I was looking at was an older one, think it was the PH Pirouette so maybe the shape has changed since those were manufactured. Will be getting a saddle fitter out to try a few different saddles anyway so will add a PH to the list.

Thanks for the replies :)

12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

E4E, if your ever over this way, your welcome to come try my ambassador. That way you would get to have a ride on Shilo.:D I know it would be too big for you, but you would get to feel another saddle for reference.

13. ClipClop

ClipClop New Member

Has any one got an ascot borroca jump saddle? what are your opinions on this saddle? I rode briefly in one today and it felt comofortable for me, just trying to find one second hand now

14. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

I have one and I really like it
    its comfy
    not very shallow seat wise

unfortunatly it is not the best fit for my horse so once I pay off the issabell I shall have to get a different one *SIGH*

15. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Dear Mods...any chance of removing anyting that isnt saddle related?:)

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Not a bad idea Elanda however I think there is something else that could be removed along with non-saddle related posts :}

17. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

So you think Mods have time to sit here all day and clean up the posts you decide you dont like after contributing to its continuation?
    Tempted just to hit the delete button on the thread,its far quicker.

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Mmmm what a conundrum.

Rightio, lets just kick it back to saddles again.

My sister is looking at a Wintec Isabel, new one. Thoughts? I'm taking my Genf down home at the end of the month when I go back to pick up my car so hopefully she'll fall in love with that and go down that path.

19. Diana

Diana Gold Member

GR I think I've had two people tell me they're not very nice. But with saddles I think it's such a personal thing. But that's just what I've heard and I've never actually ridden in one :eek: that I know of *#)

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah I rode in an older model Wintec Isabel and my goodness, couldn't walk for week afterwards. After reading what a few people have had to say about them on here I'm trying to steer her clear of the Isabel as she does have probs with her back at the moment and after reading E4Es dramatic improvement with her back when riding in a different saddle I'm thinking it may be the same for my sister.

Who knows ';'