Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

Why's that PSO? I don't know too much about saddles so genuinely interested...finding the right saddle is a bit overwhelming!

2. pso

pso Gold Member

skinny channel- not suited to horses with spines wider than 2"...like most older saddles ;)

3. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

Hmm. I don't know how wide my horse's spine is, really. It is covered by a nice layer of fat.

4. pso

pso Gold Member

you could possibly assume your horses spine is wider than a human spine ;)

5. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

Lol my spine is also covered by a nice layer of fat

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I think Sheldon has quite a wide back and yet it fits him (newer photo, thanks Arnie) I know he's not a WB, just a "little" Arabian Pony...lol.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

My Maestro was on my dainty little 15.2hh Thoroughbred! It wasn't even close to fitting my big TB. I always found it odd that it was described as a "WB saddle" when my TB is a tiny little thing!

8. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

SJK4E, its gone past wednesday, so where are those long awaited photos of your horse wearing saddle and with you riding?';'

9. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Sorry, haven't been able to ride due to him being lame. He came good and I rode today and got photos, then my phone went flat. I'll upload pics tonight and post tomorrow.

10. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

Thanks for posting pics.

11. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Well!!

Bit of an update on my saddle debacle!

The lovely Blitzen, allowed me to try her saddle (Bates Innova) while she was down this way this week.

Oh.my.golly.goodness.

I CAN actually ride! And its not painful! I almost cried because I could actually sit without being in agony! I could actually get my legs on in canter! Hell! I could actually walk once i got off (and I rode for a good hour too!)

And then, had to ride in my Isabell again today :(
    I have genuinely always thought that the pain I had while riding was just part of the parcel, but after trying the Innova, I know so much different and actually cannot bear the Isabell anymore.

Bugger! Now I somehow have to find something else and ride in the Isabell til then. :( ouch.

12. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

Does anyone know anything about the ascot dressage saddles? Went and had a look in Europa today and don't mind the look of the ascot Munich. So hard to tell in the shop though....will organise to try a few from there soon but just wondered if anyone has tried any of these. I didn't particularly like the leather of the Munich as it seemed very stiff, but perhaps that is because it hasn't been oiled and 'broken in?'.

13. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

i have a munich the double grain leather one and i LOVE it! fits me soo well and fits the gg too. if you are up bullsbrook or swan valley way you can borrow for a ride if you like.

14. pso

pso Gold Member

Hmmmm E4E...I might know an innova for sale *#):D

15. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

I am in Henley brook, I am going to get Kristina to come out for me to try it but that won't be until next pay day I think (may have accidentally been online shopping....) so may take you up on that, thank you very much! What sort of shape is your horse? I didn't realize there was a double grain version, that would be good as the one I sat on in the shop was really quite slippery.

16. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Thanks for posting the pics SJK4E, and looking forward to the others yet to come.**)

E4E, I hear ya chickie!!! I was exactly the same! I had my second ride in my ambassador today and LOVE it! So comfy and I got off and could walk!!! (notice lots of exclamation marks). I am having another ride tomorrow and so looking forward to the experience, my hips are still in place and my horse trotted at a normal pace instead of flat out. You wont know yourself when you get another saddle. I think, as others have said, you either love the isabelle and get along with it great, or you dont! I would offer for you to try mine, but I know it is way too big for you.

Blitzen, very nice of you to share you saddle too.

17. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Teal mine is a wide gullett but its not super wide. I have it on my tb. while he was building muscle i just packed it out a little and its almost spot on now.

18. Eventer4Ever

Blitzen is an absolute angel and I'm so thankful that she trusted us enough to even leave it with us over a couple of days (even though I only got to ride in it once because Mocha decided to go footsore hahaha)!

Not many people left in the world like that :)

Thanks Blitz!

19. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

No, your right E4E, not many people left in this world that are that trusting....a few of the rouge ratbags ruin it for the honest people!

I had my third ride in my ambassador and I LOVE IT!!!! Okay, I think you all get the fact that I love my ambassador.:eek:

I feel like a normal rider, with normal ability again, instead of a crap rider with unco ability!

Canter was devine, and, surprise surprise, I can actually do rising trot without falling on to my horses neck.*#)

I have been discovering the tracks around North Dandalup (moved Shilo there one week ago) and so far loving riding on green, mown grass...such a nice change from thick boggy sand.:)*

Got to give you some pics....I have noticed that my horse looks the same in every single pic that I take...these were from today, honest, but they look like every other pic I ever take. Poor Shilo has lost some weight!';'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Eventer4Ever

Hey again everyone,

Had the saddle fitter down today to try a couple of Bates saddles.

Rode in the new Bates Dressage for less than a minute and instantly knew it wasnt for us.

Had another ride in an Innova, which fits him very well, but I was a little less convinced about it as when I rode in Blitzen's one. Has anyone found that saddles tend to be a lot better once theyve been 'broken in'?
    I wasnt too keen on just how stiff this one felt (and neither was mocha really).

Am now very stuck as what to do! I loved blitzen's one but am thinking it may have been a size smaller...?