Saddle reviews

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Bon & Ted, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

Love my Vita Mono Dressage saddle. Big kneerolls as I like it, deep seat, flaps cut back, wide panels and gives U a great grip. Love that is is in a close contact with the horse and has changeable gullet. Simillar design as the Jaguar, got a very modern look.

Also got a Trainers Jessica and find it ok, plus for the changeable gullet... but wanted bigger kneerolls. I love the Kieffer Ulla Salzgeber! For that reason as well and for the beautiful quality.

Have had a Bates Maestro which was good but was a size too big for me so did not get the right feel in it.

Have had a Wintec jump saddle (or was it called close contact), hated it!!! All I have to say.

Now ride in a Pessoa Legacy XP jump saddle and it is great! Not too deep and good forward cut kneerolls. Changeable gullet as well so can be adjusted.

Tried the new Bates elevation jump saddle and felt good, but did not ride long enough in it to form any deeper opinion.

2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Well I returned the Kieffer Malmo and definitely looks like a no go for wide horses. If you get the bigger gullet it won't change the channel at the back.

That's a real shame as it is stunning to look at and ride in.

I rode in my Barefoot London yesterday and that was a shock to the system! Today my legs are acheing!!!

3. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

Did you get a saddle fitter out for this were you able to trial some saddles - PM with how it all went, as i am looking at buying a new saddle too :) and the above are saddle i want to try.

4. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

I have tried...

Kieffer Kur...loved it but was a little short for it :(

Anky.. very comfy seat but tipped me forward BIG time and was a terrible fit for my horse (flat backed).

KN Melodie...I have currently and love it!

Bates Carpilli dressage- Getting tis week so will let you know!

I love deep seats and big knee rolls but prefer them under the saddle flaps!

5. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

can i recommend that anyone who wants a saddle has a chat to malcolm the saddle fitter?? he has some contraversial opinions (i.e. doesnt like too many saddles at all) but has a BRILLIANT knowledge of physiology and how saddles relate to how a horse moves he is a very interesting chat for anyone who is interested in how a saddle truely fits and not sales spin.

6. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

I have a jessica i love it.
    its so comfortable,and yer just puts you in the rite postitons:)

7. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

Currently have a Kentaur Elecktra for dressage and it really fits the horse well and puts me in a great position. Keeps the lower leg very stable. Leather is softening up beautifully and they are a good price.

Had a Isabell and loved it on the Thoroughbred but could not ride in it on my Cleveland.

Liked the look and feel of the Anky but my position was all over the place.

Liked the Kur but couldn't get it to fit my horse properly.

Love, love, love my Trainers Pro Delux jumping saddle it is the absolute best ever.

8. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

My reviews (all secondhand saddles).

Wintec Sport circa mid 1990s - these are actually pretty good if you need a muckaround saddle, they have biiiig cantles but at least they stay still and are good for high-withered horses.

[​IMG]
    (Apologies for obscuring butt - I don't have a better shot).

Crump jumping saddle, god knows how old it is but I love it :) Really flat seat so I can move wherever I like, comfy suede, virtually no knee rolls to get in the way. Flattish panels on the back so nice and comfy for pony. Only disadvantage - it's stuffed with felt and not designed to be re-stuffed! Weird. Malcolm managed to restuff it anyway.

[​IMG]

Keiffer Munchen dressage saddle - awesome, about the only dressage saddle I've ridden in that I really like. It's so easy to sit properly and so comfy, and you don't have to have your stirrups on your tiptoes to ride, I jump in it when I can't be bothered switching saddles.

[​IMG]

9. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i ride in a Bates Caprilli and LOVE it coz puts me in a nice position, my horse has no wither and flat short back so the chunkier saddles didnt fit or dont look right. Caprilli fits perfect and doesnt move :)

10. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

still saving to get my dressage saddle, but at the moment its still looking to be an ascot mono vita.
    but i will be triallign it first, and maybe a couple of others..
    jumping
    i have a pessoa legacy XL
    it is THE best lol sooo comfy, and secure without being unable to move in it.
    i feel so much safer jumping in it.
    but i also really liked the trainers pro.. didnt feel quite as secure, but it is suuuper soft and comfy... could have sat in it all day :D

11. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I just bought a New Barnsby jumping saddle so i will see how that goes

12. Dontey464554

Dontey464554 Active Member

I've got a Collegiate dressage saddle with the changeable gullet, i really like it as it has a deep seat and coming from my western saddle i still feel safe and held in :) Its very padded and i rather a brick saddle as i can feel better. The saddle fitters from Europa came and they thought it was a Bates saddle!

13. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

I have a Bates Maestro dressage saddle and I looooove love love it! It is the comfiest saddle, and always seems to look rather new. It doesn't force you into a position, allows you to move and my horse actually is happy with it (he isn't with many saddles).

I really want a new jumping saddle though.

I currently have a Trainers Pro Deluxe jumping saddle, I do really like it, though i'd like to try other saddles. I used to have a Stubben Edelweiss NT Deluxe and loved it to bits - my horse hated it sadly so I had to sell it.
    I would like a Pessoa though, depending on my horses opinion.

14. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

Hi Dontey464554
    The Collegiate saddles are made by Bates, it is their "economy" brand brought out for the US market originally Personally I don't see much difference and prefer some of the Collegiate models.

15. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

What are peoples suggestions for a high withered horse and "Large" rider:eek::)*
    I have a Courbette at the moment and will try that on him when he arrives....but just in case it doesnt fit:)

16. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

I have a Kieffer Lech size 2, they are great for high whithered horses. The horse I bought it for had a flat back, and a massive whither, and it was a great fit for him, but it also fitted a number of different shaped horses.

17. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

Passier -I know they are way expensive but are absolutely wonderful upgraded this year and still got a trade in of $2000 for my 23 year old one . Doesn't matter what saddle you feel more comfy in but spending more on a really good quality saddle costs far less in the end .

18. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

The Courbette/Lemetex are an excellent saddle for high withered horses, I also need a bit of "room" and find them very good for people with long legs.

19. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I recently bought a Bates Innova (with the standard blocks, not the extended ones).
    Before that I had an Isabell and loved it but my boy had grown too broard for it.
    I sat in practically every dressage saddle that was on display at Equitana and then rode in 7 different saddles that Gary brought out. I had a good friend there who knows both me and my horse and she videoed it for me. I also had my instructor there as well.
    The end result was that everyone preferred the Innova for both Honda and I.
    I don't find it at all restrictive and it fits Honda beautifully (who is super broard these days).

20. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

oooh it went sticky!!!

Bethy, you must have nice long legs, mine are too short for anything with a knee block *#)

Ummm goodie, I think Isabel's are good for high withers? They also seem to have a bit of space. The jessica fits high withers well, as does the Kieffer (but again I wouldn't go the Malmo), Anky etc.

I'm trialling the Bates Maestro on the weekend. Am itching to ride in it.

Hopefully I'm onto a winner!!!