saddle recommndation please

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by xyzabc, Jun 15, 2015.

1. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

Hello,
    would anyone here be able to recommend a direction for me to search for a saddle in?

I'm 52YO, novice rider with crook back, so I need a lightweight saddle.
    I ride a cob (=keg on legs) with wide shoulders and no wither to speak of. I'm currently riding him in 2nd hand leather tree Spanish saddle, which is great for now, I feel confident and it's light enough to lift.

I have started looking at what is available down the track when I have more confidence. I guess synthetic is lighter weight than leather, and I also guess English style seat is less bulky than Western. I'm not keen on surcingles, would rather a girth. So I'd be aiming for a synthetic English style seat, yes?

Do I buy new or 2nd hand? New is more expensive but there are only a couple of saddle shops here so limited range. Do I buy new online and hope it fits us both when it arrives? Or do I take the risk and buy 2nd hand? 2nd hand could be problematic too, as being in cow country and looking for a synthetic English saddle isn't going to be easy.

No urgency but I'm looking around trying to get an idea of what direction to go in and I'm just getting more confused. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Braids Dale

Braids Dale New Member

I like the bates saddles on my Connemaras. My old Issabelle seems to have been designed on them it fits that well. If you can get a saddle fitter to come out to you with a variety of saddles to try that would be your best option

3. realalvin

realalvin New Member

i used a treeless one, Horseware. it's good. just a little bit expensive. If you also want to get a exercise sheet, buy a bucas or harrison howard. Both good. Horseware 's exercise sheet is a little bit hard i think. but the saddle is the best.