Saddle Fit and Sweating

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by fishiz3434, May 21, 2012.

1. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

So I have a jumping saddle fitted to a horse and it looks great, it dosn't slip at all (not forward side or back) and sits even. The thing I'm wondering about is, why she dosn't sweat at ALL under the panels. She was sweaty on her flanks, chest, neck and where the saddle pad sits but not at all under the panels, it was a nice neat dry patch. It that good? or Bad?

She is worked on a long rein for the first 10 minutes of a ride(trail) and then in a frame for the rest of the hour or more (walking only) we walk in soft zig zags along the trail.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I would be worried about the lack of sweat. It would indicate that either the saddle is bridging (Sitting on the panels at front and back but not the middle) or that it is putting pressure on where there is no sweat.

did you have it fitted by a professional? If so I would be calling them back to discuss the results.

3. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Yeah professionally fitted, there was no sweat at all under the panels, not just it patches. I'll call and see what he say's. Left an email but he hasn't replied yet.

4. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

Just wondering if you got an answer from the saddle fitter

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Dry patches can indicate too much pressure or no pressure, so given that yours is all over, under the saddle, you would have to assume too much pressure????

Do you do the girth up excessively tight? Do you have a saddle blanket designed to 'wick' moisture away? Has the horse had an ill fitting saddle in the past, as I believe that the saddle area can be permanently damaged due to prolonged use of an ill fitting saddle and the ability to sweat normally can be lost in that area....I dont know if this is true, but have noticed it in patches on a horse I used to have where it did not matter what saddle you used, she would not get sweat on two patches on her back.

Definately get the saddle fitter to revisit.

I was wondering why your horse sweats all over the entire body when you are only walking for an hour....it seems a alot of sweating for walk work. Is it very hilly work?

6. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Sorry but working in a 'frame' for 50 minutes straight seems a bit excessive.. How 'educated' is she? I would hope you would give her a lot of breaks on a long rein? Why do you need to walk zigzags? Is it because she is emotional? If so, she is probably sweating emotionally.

And yes the saddle too tight a fit (all too common unfortunately). Can you get your hand under the front of the saddle in the shoulder area with and without you mounted? If not too tight.

Revisit with both saddle fitter & your instructor. Hope you get it sorted :)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  7. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

I would not panic until getting the saddle checked by a fitter. The jury is still out on the sweat/ no sweat - good/ bad discussion. Some researchers will say no sweat means a good contact, some will say no contact (bridging, hence the sweat evaporates) or too much pressure (stopping the sweat).

Personally, I think it depends on assessing the fit of that saddle to that horse, and you can't say categorically that a sweat pattern of one type means a single definite, typical cause.

I recommend Kristina, who you can contact via Europa Midland.

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

LOL I read the title quick as "Saddle Fit and Swearing" hah cause it seems to cause a fair bit of that too!!

9. crave

crave Well-known Member

Are you drinking Nanny LOL :)

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Lol well now I am hah!!

11. luckyboy22

luckyboy22 Well-known Member

Dry patches are bad!!
    It should be sweat all over her back!! If it isn't it means there is lots of pressure on that spot, and it isn't allowing her to sweat.

12. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

In my case yes.....onto my 5th saddle and this one will be getting custom made *&$%!^ ^*(%$

13. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Got a reply and he came out again, the fit is fine he recons you were right flaxie about the emotional sweating, she's a nutty horse, she won't allow for a long rein, constantly pulling, she used to pull up and sink her back so i've worked on long and low for a while and now it's just a matter of maintaining control and concentration so the girl who owns her can actually ride her without being bucked or pig-rooted. The saddle they had fitted terrible so thats why she has mine on now. the muscle on one side was completely deteriated and sunken and the other side was stiff. she's evened up now after three months of long and low and hard zigzagging walks but havn't ridden her since the time she didn't sweat under the panels. The owner has worked her a few times but not noticed anything, i haven't been there though so not sure what happend. She was silly but they need lessons together or what i've worked on will just be lost again.

14. realalvin

realalvin New Member

I think it depends on assessing the fit of that saddle to that horse, and you can't say categorically that a sweat pattern of one type means a single definite, typical cause.