Sabino

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by oakover, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

but cant they be tested to see if they carry the gene? Ive seen a few Overo's advertised as OLWS NN?
    Im pretty sure Overo's dont all necessarily carry the Lethal gene. And is also not limited to Overo's, just mostly.
    Correct me if Im wrong, Im still learning this colour DNA stuff, I have just been doing a heap of reading and asking questions the last few months

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I think it's just that sometimes sabino and splash can do frame overo similar markings. But to actually BE frame overo they have the OLW gene as they are one and the same. That's my understanding anyway.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Both correct. Frame is OLWS, OLWS is frame. It makes it a lot easier to call a horse with OLWS just 'frame'. Kintara is right in saying that sabino and splash make overo patterns - they do this a lot. People think that they aren't overos because they don't carry the lethal gene (frame), where in fact overo is just the term for the pattern that frame often makes (as does sabino and splash). So there are a lot of overos that are OLWS NN (not frame).

Kate.

4. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

ok, thanks for that guys..... learning learning learning :))

5. belambi

belambi Active Member

As a rule of thumb, any white on the body, other than the legs..is possibly frame,(i mean if the legs are solid coloyred) so always worth testing for. If you want frame, then you can breed... and advertise responsibly then.

6. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Incidentally and just as a point of interest; I have heard that Thoroughbreds do not test positive for Sabino 1 which means their white markings are caused by another type of Sabino altogether.

7. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Yeh the classic (big blaze and four long white stockings) sabino gene that Clydesdales/Shires have isn't Sabino1 either. It seems sometimes that sabino is just a catch phrase for all the white patterns that don't fit into any other category *#) :D

Didn't they test the max white TB's (the ones that look like homozygous sabino1) and isolated the gene and called it dominant white? I think they found a few genes actually and just called them DW1, DW2 etc..? Many of them were a bit roan like the homozygous sb1 horses which I found interesting.

I wish they could find a test for splash!

8. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

it does look like there is a long way to go as far as colour testing goes, can only imagine all the colours that are going to be screened for in the next several years.

9. Kate O

Kate O New Member

So far there are 11 Dominant whites. It is pretty much impossible to tell the difference between a homozygous DW and a homozygous SB1 horse without testing.

There is SB1 in TB's in America, and with frame in the Australian Stud Book, and cream going to be in the ASB very soon, it will only be a matter of time before SB1 will be in it too (to tell you the truth I didn't know that SB1 wasn't in TB's in Australia - I though it already was lol).

When I get back home on my computer I will post a link to a really interesting site on DW and SB1.

Kate.

10. Tintara

It was actually Gail who told me about the Tbs; have those ones in America actually been tested for Sb1 or do they just mimic it so everyone has assumed they are Sb1. It is quite probable that there are nearly as many types of Sabino as there are breeds of horses.

I think most people know my thoughts about cream (and OLWS for that matter) in 'pure-bred' Tbs by now !! Suffice to say that it doesn't matter how many generations of crossing part-breds back to pure-breds you do, you can NEVER 100% breed back to pure and just because a studbook CHOOSES to accept something because it's been several decades or more since a non-purebred (acknowledged or unacknowledged *#)) was used in the line still doesn't make it a pure-bred.:D If some of my cream dilutes had been born overseas they'd be registered with overseas Tb registers too and then could have come into Australia as apparent 'pure-breds' complete with an overseas TB rego to make them eligible for ASB rego.

11. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I agree Tintara.

Yeah there are a few SB1 TB's over there.

12. Kate O

Kate O New Member

13. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Thanks Kate O, will be printing that information **)

14. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

This thread was a really interesting read and has got me thinking, it also has my head spinning lol, im not very good with coulour genetics at all:eek:

I have been told my mare is Sabino but didnt give it much thought, to me she looks like a chestnut with lots of chrome... and flecking... and funny lacing patterns down her back... she also has a white bottom lip and a big black spot on her top lip. Her dam was pally and white, i never saw her but got told she was pinto but with minimal white markings (one patch on her belly and some socks i think?) perhaps she was sabino? I really wouldnt have a clue.

What do you guys think? Shes the one at the back (not the best pic, they are in the sprinklers)
    [​IMG]

pattern on her back and bum, shes now 4 and getting it more and more.
    [​IMG]

The little guy at the front of the first photo is by a minimal overo stallion, he has two blue eyes, a couple of little socks, tiny belly splash and a big black spot on his lip. Is he minimal overo too?

Im so confused lol:confused:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  15. Tintara

Most obviously - would say the mare is sabino (see the way the white is being pushed away from her eyes) and the pony is splash. Both are considered 'overo' pattern genes. Overo is just a generic term used to describe a group of coat pattern genes which includes sabino, splash & frame (lethal white). So, minimal overo could be a splash with minimal markings or a sabino with minimal markings.

16. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

Obvious if you know what you're talking about, i certainly dont!:D I had a fair idea but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!:))

17. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Cute markings! IMO the pony is carring frame because he has solid legs...it would be very unusal for a horse with such a typical splash face to have solid legs without having frame.

And like Tintara said, the big horse is splash + sabino - my favourite white pattern genes :)

18. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Hiya Megs your mare Honey? looks like a Sabino from her facial markings and from the spearpoints on her leg markings. The little guys facial marking looks to be indication of overo.

19. belambi

belambi Active Member

No TB or Arab has ever tested pos to SB1.. it is presumed they just have a different sort.

20. Tintara

Exactly what I'd been led to believe :))