Rugging safely, which is better?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by HalcyonStables, May 1, 2010.

?
  1. Option A) Chest straps first then the hind leg & tummy ones

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Option B) Hind leg straps first then the chest & tummy ones

73 vote(s)
    62.4%
  3. Neither, I prefer a different method (please comment)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Eoroe haha holding onto the legs, hehe. Funny:p

2. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I always fold my rugs as I take them off (unless in a super hurry, or being uuber lazy), so I put the rug on folded over the hind quaters, and do the back leg straps first. I've found that should pony decide that rapid forward action is required, the rug slips down and off easily, but stays on with Jeds moving around.
    I then unfold, do the chest strap (and unfold again if there is a neck, or belly strap). :)

Generally, I have the horse tied up, but I am slack from time to time and go halterless *gasp* .. even tho Jed is quieter than the dead tree out the back - you just never know. I dont halter when he's in the stable munchin on hay tho.

jmo

3. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I always do chest straps first, if the horse moves away the rug won't end up tangled aroung it hind legs if the rug comes off....(my legs straps are always clipped back up once rug is removed so they don't dangle or hit the horse in the legs causing injury) I then do the tummy straps, legs and neck rug last.

4. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

In all honesty I think all horses should be haltered to be rugged then they won't get away from you at all.....:)

5. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

With Hoolie I will admit I usually didn't put a halter on in the paddock to rug, he never ran off but I do know horses are unpredictable, so was probably lucky nothing ever happened.

With Lilly she needs to be haltered or she walks off, I usually bring her out of the paddock and tie her up to do them.

We are taught legs first at pony club but I usually do them chest first, just out of habit I guess. I undo the legs straps first then chest when taking the rug off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  6. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Oh yeah not doing up clips pet hate. In Sydney (full board) I gave specific instructions that when they took my rugs off they where to do up leg straps. The worker bees used to not bother. It drove me nuts. Then one day I put the rug on and I copped a legstrap clip in the cheekbone, I lost my bleep bleep. Well they remembered to do the clips up from that point on.:p

7. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

I put on my rug folded, unfold it up the neck, do up the chest strap, then the hind leg straps, then the belly straps and then the neck clips.
    The leg clips must always be done up again when taking the rug off as I too have been clobbered with one! NEVER again....

8. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

For me...my horses were drilled to learn to stand still. As they were taught from start with halter/leads to teach them. And now they knows they have to stand still when I am around them, why? because I am hearing impaired!!

My old fella does not require halter to rug him as he knows he has to stand still till I am finished with him on voice command.

And with Cullen, it was halter/lead for awhile but in the last year, he has been taught to stand still. Usually I either rug him in the stable or out the paddock on voice command.

For putting on rugs...I do the chest straps first then back legs then belly straps and lastly do the neck straps.

To take off...I do the leg straps first and done the leg clips back onto loop attachment, chest straps, neck straps and lastly undo the belly straps. Then folded the combo rug back in half in ready for putting back on at the end of the day.

Again my horses have been drilled to stand still or I make them uncomfortable, it's the paramount due to my hearing impaired.

9. Excellent responses everyone, thank you for your input.

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I personally never do up belly straps :p They get cut off they first time the rug is used as they are generally too loose (are our horse meant to be obese?) and unless they are firm on the horse's belly I have seen back legs caught throught them after rolling!

11. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Always back legs first then chest straps and belly straps. I have seen too many times horse with only chest strap done up galloping into the rug and flipping over on its neck. I have also seen the opposite and the rugs have just fallen off the back end with no damage to horse or rug.

12. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

I was taught the following:
    Taking off - chest straps, then leg straps (when I was a kid, very few rugs had cross over surcingles).
    Putting on, chest strap, then pull back to make sure hair lies properly then leg straps - though the horse is to be tied up.

What i do to this day, never had a problem; it works for me.

13. Roodog

Roodog Active Member

Rugging ritual... catch pony, put halter on.. then remove leadrope from pony's mouth... brush pony, after retrieving from pony's mouth again.... pick up rug from ground after pony turfs it from fence...toss rug on, either over or under judging pony's height, try again. do up back straps before pony pulls rug off oneself.., do up front straps, leadrope back in pony's mouth..ugh, it drools.. remove halter, search and rescue brush.. right, 1 pony done 5 more to go.. need a stiff drink!

14. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

exactly this!
    better off with a broken rug than a broken neck!

15. SassyTiff

SassyTiff Guest

Hmm we always rug with chest strap first then legs. Through the years we have been caught in many situation where someone has forgotten a strap or its broken etc and the result is usually if the rug goes over the head once the horse can't see they generally aren't going to go nut and even when they can see most of them stand calm where as when its over their back legs they freak out run around trying to remove it and it has resulted in broken legs before/ more serious injury.

16. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

depends where horse is at the time..stable/yarded i do chest up first..out in the paddock leg straps first...

17. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

This is really interesting as I've never really had a system, I just do it however!

There are a few good points here though.

18. nene72

nene72 New Member

I apply a halter with a 10ft lead as I rug and unrug out in the paddock, place rug on a little further forward than where it usually sits, do the legstraps up first, chest strap second pull rug back to its normal position, belly straps third (if the rug has them) and neck rug fourth. Reverse for unrugging.

Oh yes, the leg straps must be clipped back up when unrugging.

19. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

I always put halter and lead rope on my regardless of how good they are as it only takes one time for them to get fright and you end up with hurt pony and destroyed rug. :D

20. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

i chose A but my horse is always tied up so he dosnt wonder off.