Rugging safely, which is better?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by HalcyonStables, May 1, 2010.

?
  1. Option A) Chest straps first then the hind leg & tummy ones

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Option B) Hind leg straps first then the chest & tummy ones

73 vote(s)
    62.4%
  3. Neither, I prefer a different method (please comment)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

My horses are tied up when im doing rugs... or in their stables. In the paddock i will put a halter and lead on. BUT horses have actually been known to get a fright and spook even when tied up and if they do get loose i want rug to either be secure or fall off free from them rather than hanging around their neck.

2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I specifically mention I put halters on when I tie up chest first cause I guessed correctly, someone would make the assumption that the horses were not tied.

I would still do legs first for a horse I dont know and have it tied up at the same time. Just because I didnt mention I would tie up an unknown horse first, doesnt mean that it would happen.

As Arnie said, the question was specific to rugging only.

3. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I was taught (drilled) in the UK putting on and taking off. Plus how you fold them on the horses back before removing them etc. This was pre fancy WB's etc. It was blankets, NZ rugs over the top and then a roller to hold them all in place.

You put it on more forward then where you would normally put it. Do up chest straps and then slide rug backwards into positon. This way you are moving the hair in its natural direction instead of pulling the rug up and therefore the hair is going against growth. (if that makes sense). Do up neck. Then work down the body belly if any then legs. But always chest first.

Taking them off I do the opposite, legs first then belly if any. Then fold rug up bum to wither then undo neck fold neck back, then undo chest.

Interesting how everyone does things differently.

In the paddock I always halter Poppy if I am removing or putting on a rug. In the coral I don't bother as there isn't anywhere she can go.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Hold onto? Hold onto what and why exactly? I just read and couldn't find this holding onto quote. :confused: Me vs holding onto front of rug would be like trying to stop a car from rolling down a hill because you forgot to put the handbrake on. No contest.:D

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Must of been removed then???

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Nope wasn't removed :D.

And yup I don't understand it either!

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I will admit that with Jingles I am lazy and don't put a headcollar on :eek:

But with baby horse and all other horses, always have a halter - unless in a stable etc.

But I don't rug like any of you. I chuck the rug on, make sure it's sitting in correct position, then do up 1 leg strap only, do up chest straps, go back do up the other leg strap, then belly and legs.

This IMO is the safest way because if the horse takes off after doing up the leg straps it is easier to get out of with just 1 strap rather than 2 crossed over. Takes a few seconds longer but is far safer.

Have had a horse spook (with a halter and lead on) with the 1 leg strap done up and the rug fell off and was kicked out of easy, have had a horse that spooked (with a halter and lead) with both leg straps done up and the horses back feet got tangled.

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Hmm, I don't remember saying that I didn't use a halter and lead :confused:
    That question wasn't asked so people haven't stated one way or the other. You know what they say about just assuming things ;)

But mishaps can happen regardless of wether the horse is haltered or not.
    Been there, done that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i fold my rugs in half too, easier to place them nicely on horse that way. except canvas rugs the just get hurled on lol.

10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I don't have the wingspan to hold onto the front whilst doing up the back. haha.

11. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

looks like im bad then, just drilled in at pc all these years chest first.. sunny doesnt care anyway and if he does go to walk away a slight pressure on his chest and he stops =] horses at work are generally tied up(crosstied solid so cant go anywhere) so i do wherever i get to first.. and if theyre not i do back first. never really thought about why i do it differently though? interesting stuff.

12. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I usually always rug in the stables so will happily have horse with no halter on and i just seem to rug from the chest strap first then the leg straps, i undo the chest first.
    If im in the middle of the paddock i always use a halter, especially with my young one.

13. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I rug both ways. either chest strap first of leg straps first. depends on the day.:eek: my horse is always tied up when i do this. or his head is stuck in his feed bucket in the paddock so he won't go anywhere in a hurry. *#)
    I do belly straps after chest and leg straps and neck rug/combo bit last.

14. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

When were you at PC? PC horsemanship now teaches legs first as standard. You fail your test if you do the chest up first

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

this thread is all about how to rug a horse safely.
    if you put a head collar on before ruging in a paddock, well GOOD ON YOU !!!!!
    there are many people who read threads, that might not actually post, and those that are reading this thread to LEARN from, it is a good idea to say that you put the rug on in a paddock with a head collar and lead rope on, so they ALSO get that this is for safty reasons.
    just about everyone has said, "just in case", so everyone is fully aware that the horse could/might take flight when rugging in a paddock situation, so there is no harm in saying "i put a head collar on first" then rug blah blah blah.
    NOTHING is better then taking Precaution.
    accidents still happen, but at least you have minimized what COULD happen.
    to those that got ruffled by my post:
    if you mentioned that you put a halter on or tie up, then my post was not directed at you. if you did not meantion a halter, then it was (and i am talking about PADDOCK situations only).
    cheers

16. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

was taught this..3? years ago. at pc, and passed lol.

17. painter

painter Well-known Member

I do belly straps first, legs second, chest last...to take off I do legs first, belly second, chest last.

I do it this way because I have seen horses injured (rope burn/sliced) after getting a fright, taking off with leg straps only done up. Doing the belly straps keeps it where it should be even though it may flap front and back. Chest first and frightened horse, to me that looks like a risk of horse stepping on the rug and being tripped up. Chest straps are less likely to break, so all I can see is a horse going AoverT and breaking its neck.

This is the safest method that works for me with the three horses that I rug. I rarely tie these three up to rug/unrug in the paddock. Other horses I would definitely tie them up.

18. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

well i rug from back to front when putting on and front to back when taking off.'

all my horses are done in the paddock even agisted horses with no halters or rope as there is nothing to tie to.

if there is a todo and the rug is on only around the back straps and they move off the rug falls off to the ground no dramas, follow and put back on. all my horses know the drill and it works for me.

good post **)

19. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Well I just hold onto the hind leg whilst doing up the leg straps first.......stops them from running away....*#)

NAHHHH serioustly......halter on, legs straps first (unless their us a velcro tab at the front then that gets done first), them front straps, then belly, then next.

Reverse procedure for removal......

REGARDLESS. Rugging is dangerous.....and if you have a stunt horse - or a flexi legged thing then they will find a way to do something stupid with them.....
    Ive seen mouthy things get their bottom jaws stuck in their chest straps....deerrr.

The only horse I will not secretly hold my breath - pray - hope for the best when they wear a rug is the ones out the front of horse shops.... however even they can get the rug over their heads...Ive seen it - lol *#)

20. pso

pso Gold Member

LOL eoroe!
    I have one that unbuckles his chest strap when he decides its not rug weather :rolleyes: (and which horse is hairy? hmmmm)

I do chest straps first...then leg, then belly...

I think the way you rug depends on who/where you were taught...
    Australian PC/NCAS teach back to front, UK BSHAI teach front to back(or used to)...(+tied up)