Rugging safely, which is better?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by HalcyonStables, May 1, 2010.

?
  1. Option A) Chest straps first then the hind leg & tummy ones

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Option B) Hind leg straps first then the chest & tummy ones

73 vote(s)
    62.4%
  3. Neither, I prefer a different method (please comment)

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. OK so here's an interesting Q for you all...

Which way of rugging is safer? I know people on both sides of the camp and am wondering which is better and why - and which way you go about it.

Do you prefer:

A) Rugging the horse, doing up the CHEST straps first, before moving on to tummy/leg straps

B) Rugging the horse, doing up the hind leg straps first THEN moving forward and doing the chest straps?

Interested in everyone's thoughts and opinions on this matter.

2. lorna007

lorna007 New Member

I always do up the chest strap first. Since I don't put a halter on, at least I have something to hold on to if they decide to wander off.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hind legs first always! When undoing the chest strap comes off first.

That way if the horse does get loose they have a better chance of breaking or getting out of the leg straps then what can happen if you had a loose horse and only the chest strap done up.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I do as Arnie does. However I would not rug an excitable horse without head collar and lead rope on. My guys are pretty cruisy. I do leg straps up first as they can walk out of them if something goes wrong.

5. Surrender

Surrender New Member

ALWAYS back leg straps first, if horse takes fright half way through I want the rug to be kicked off the back end, not hanging around the front. For the horses safety mainly, but also saves the rug.

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

this is the SAFEST way to rug a horse !!!!!!!!!!!
    PUT HALTER ON FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers

7. pso

pso Gold Member

PMSL!!!!
    yep:D

8. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I am the first to admit that I'm slack with mine and they seldom get tied up to rug or unrug. I try to do it of doing up leg straps first when rugging but often forget and do the chest strap first!! The most scary time I've had was afew weeks ago when we were getting the really strong winds and storms. I was putting a synthetic combo on my mare and I threw it up onto her ready to start doing up and as it was raining she moved abit and turned her bum to the wind and rain. Next thing a huge gust of wind lifted up the back of the rug and sent the whole rug up her neck and over her head. It made her jump but thank god she had the sense to stand still and not take off.

9. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Definatley leg straps first !!!
    Once upon a time I used to do the chest strap up first. That was until I had a horse panic (over heaven only knows what *#) ), get away from me and gallop off with a canvas rug buckled up around it's neck and nothing else done up to hold it on.
    Said horse hit the fence in a flat gallop, flipped up and over landing on her back. All I could think was quick, call the vet coz she's going to have some broken bones. Thankfully she didn't. What she did do was get up, realize this thing was still attacking her and off she went again. Was chaotic and very very scarey. Learnt my lesson the hard way.

10. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

If its a horse I dont know, then legs straps first.

Though Im lazy and tend to do the horses at the stables chest first cause I know them and none of them have the flight response, they are all turn and look, plus they all are tied when rugging and all of them are now hard tie trained. Unless of course we rug them inside the stable when they are eating, then they dont give a rats arse as long as you dont interfer too long when putting hoods on LOL.

11. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

hahaha QSS.
    I always do leg straps first.
    Especially on the baby.
    Rahni's had his cotton combo on, and the back leg straps have broken (can not for the life of me think of what on :eek: ) and he has then managed to get his whole rug up and caught over his head. he's gone to bolt out of the big scary monster, and trodden on it. so he stands stock still, without moving, neighting frantically until someone goes to save him from the white cotton monster. getting him out of the rug is the worst thing, he wants to bolt away from it when you haven't got all the straps undone.
    after the second time this happened, after fixing the leg straps. he was shaking terribly and i couldn't undo the rug, so i cut it off.
    leg straps first, and i ALWAYS triple check they are secure.

12. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

always legs first then chest and lastly belly, before doing neck rugs

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Yep, legs, chest then belly, then neck (if got one), and opposite to unload.:)*

14. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Excellent Thread/Poll, Merrylegs **)

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

well apparently my darling boy got tangled in his rugs over weekend when i was away... not from doing rugs up wrong order, but (somehow?) broke leg straps of underrug and ended up hooning around with it under his front legs - FRIGHTENING! Thankfully someone saved him... I always to leg straps first!

16. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

lol im strange. If the horse is in an enclosed yard or being held i do the chest strap first then the rest as i find the rugs sit way better if you dont have to pull em forward after you've done the leg straps up (it s*#%$ me to tears when someone helps me rug up and they pull the darn rug back to do the legs up before i get the front done up).

if im out in the open i do it the other way around **)

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

huh? i place the rug forward on the neck, do leg straps, do chest straps and then slide it back slightly so it sits nicely.
    I hate it when people do chest straps and then pull rug back right around the chest to do leg straps....

18. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

funny, most people i know seem to throw the rug on half folded/any old way, pull the rug back in order to do the leg straps up then tug the rug forward to do the chest strap up. cant stand it #(

edited to add: i did say i was a bit strange ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  19. smash

smash Well-known Member

wow so many, people rug their horse a certain way "incase" they get a fright and run off.
    kind of what headcollars are made for.
    something that takes 1 second to put on to save any mishaps, yet it seems they are all prepared to take that risk.
    this poll highlights the ridiculous.

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I don't think anyone here has said that they don't use a halter or lead rope apart from the people who admit doing up the front of the rug first to hold onto. It wasn't part of the question so hasn't been discussed.