Rubber stable flooring

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by pso, Apr 18, 2009.

1. pso

pso Gold Member

Am planning on putting rubber in my stables in the near future, and was wondering if there are any benefits of the avalon stable mats, over say conveyer rubber? Apart from the price!!!
    I cant afford corbro, not with the size of my stables...
    Or has anyone used the pour-on rubber in stables?

:))

2. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Done a bit of investigation into this although haven't used the products on ours (yet - plans are nearly finalised and building starts october woohoo!!).

I've seen the spray on rubber used - it wasn't very thick and wasn't enough coverage IMO to have a horse in there with no other bedding (eg. saw dust or wood shavings) however it did mean you used a little less. Not much though - I'd say 20-30% depending on how you like your stables. It is a cheaper alternative to the fully cushioned stables.

I've seen the corbro but have been told it wears?? Not sure on this and it was in a float so might be worth investigating? I am also not sure about the holes in it - might be hard to keep clean and disinfect.

I've also seen the demo for the equine comfort flooring which is basically a mattress filled with crumbed rubber then thick rubber mat over the top - its is really cushioning but not unstable - best way to describe it. It's also attached to the walls so you don't get leakage underneath (it's waterproof) and is therefore pretty good on maintenance. You can also use a lot less bedding (some say even no? Not sure about that though) with it. Dunno if that's in your budget or not but it's certainly an interesting idea!!

3. pso

pso Gold Member

yep- I think the matress would be too pricy atm...I think thats around $3k for a regular 12x12....and mine are double size :eek:

I was still planning on using bedding ontop...but they seem to be digging through the bedding and scraping their fetlocks and hocks atm...I thought the rubber might stop this?

Just done some maths...conveyer rubber might be the best I can afford!:eek:

4. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I think it might be although the spray on rubber from memory was pretty cheap!

Oh and I'm not sure about "rust" colour - I think I have wrong cross between orange and pooh brown in mind though ... :p

5. pso

pso Gold Member

hmmm...will look into the spray on then!

and yep- it matches chestnut perfectly...so it went to its new home...I'll stay traditional!

6. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I once looked into the promat cushion stuff. I have a dvd if you want me to post it to your lol. Might give you an idea about it.

If I were to put rubber flooring into the stables I would go with the spray on stuff. Like the idea that it would be more hygenic as, hopefully, it won't let wee seep under.

7. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I looked at all sorts of options & ended up getting 30ml thick conveyor rubber, which is nylon enforced not steel.
    It was by far cheaper than anything else .....cost me 3 blocks of VB :)
    It does weigh a tonne because its so thick but it also makes a differnce to the comfort level.
    I can feel a huge difference just stepping onto it off the concrete.
    On top of that I use Woody Pet & think it is an awesome product.
    The conveyor rubber I got is much thicker that the avalon stable mats & softer.....or maybe I should say has more give. It is still hard wearing :)
    The other option is to put down the conveyor rubber & then seal it with the polyurathane & rubber crumble :)

8. pso

pso Gold Member

Wish I could find a deal like that!!!
    **)

9. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Yes it was a good deal ....more arse than class LOL
    A local mill had just replaced all their conveyor belts & just wanted to get rid of it. By the time I had gone to town to get the VB my OH had the truck there all picked up & dropped off at home.
    All I can say is it works really well.
    I only had enough for 6 stalls so am waiting for the next change to hopefully score some more to finish the other 2 :)

10. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I have a pro comfort mattress in one of my stables and will be changing all stables over to them they are brilliant. We also laid one in the next door neighbours stable 5 x 6 from memory and the price was quite reasonable.
    I've had mine down for over 6 yrs now and love it.
    Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any ;)

11. EPS

EPS Active Member

great thread :) will keep watching :)

12. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Yes I agree keep the info coming!!

My new stables are nearly finished on the outside, so I am about a week away from ordering for internals. I want rubber flooring but cant decide exactly how to do it. Anyone got any pics of theirs for ideas?

13. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

I have a question Neryl:)

Where do you get it from? :))

14. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

From a company over east Rem.
    I'll see if I can find their contact details for you tomorrow :p

15. tydec

tydec New Member

Ive tried spray-on keeps the horse of the concrete floor but not much else in way of comfort use it for breeze ways and wash bays only .Have got 8 stables in corbro yes pricey to start with about $2000 a box 3x4 have had it now for 5 years
    would have saved 4k plus per box on bedding over years so it works out cheaper I love my flooring has reduce a lot of leg probe and easy a hell to clean out about 5mins a box. Haven't tried the crumb rubber so can't comment but have heard it has good comfort like corbro but not great bio -sercutiy Hope that helps.