rubber matting.

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by jlnew, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

hi, ive almost finished making my horse trailer, can anyone tell me where i can get some good quality heavy duty rubber matting for the floor? i thought i had enough here, but seems someone has used most of it on something else.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

contact second chance. They had some conveyer belt rubber for sale at a reduced rate.

3. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

thanks. thats what i had here, lol. but it went walkies. lol.

i need quite a bit, our horse trailer is rather large. i was looking at the new mattin gin the gym and might make enquiries about where they go that, its not quite as heavy as the belting,, but if its a reasonable price might be worht a look, as ill need to be able to remove the belting when im not seing hte trailer for horses.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I think it was a significant bit cheaper the retail as it was donated to them by a mining company. They also had a lot of it.

5. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

thanks, will have to look into it :))

good to know its still avail, last lot we got was when i knew ppl in the mining industry.

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

:eek: Personally I wouldn't ever put conveyor belting on the floor of a horse float !
    The surface on that stuff is way too smooth and slippery especially once a horse pees/poos on it.
    If you've ever you tow a horse that is a slighter scrambler or lacks confidence in a float, you'll only dent their confidence even more by giving them unsuitable flooring to stand on.
    A couple of sheets of specially designed rubber horse mat isn't that expensive and is a wise investment IMHO :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
  7. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

Industrial Rubber in East Victoria Park are the place to go for good quality non slip rubber for floats **) Have just fitted mine out:D

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Same place I bought mine.
    They have a couple of different types. I went with the hammer horse mat.
    Great stuff **)

9. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

im off to perth in 2 weeks, ill look then, its not a horse float as such, its a stock trailer. so ill need a bit more than youd use in a double float.

10. samm

samm Gold Member

I can get heaps of the stuff ,it just depends when they can bring it down.How soon do you need it ?

11. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

ill keep that in mind samm, im going to try to find some locally first, otherwise getting it here will be a bit of an issue.

like between here and bunbury i mean.

otherwise ill try to organise further affield, vic park loks good cos i g to a place near there anyway.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  12. Anna E

Anna E Guest

If it's not a rude question, about how much from these industrial rubber people in Vic Park to fit out a standard extended double straight load??

13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I bought mine a little while ago AnnaE and no doubt prices have gone up.
    My memory's also usless but this might give you and idea so here goes....... :p
    They carry a couple of different types of matting for horse floats and it comes in different sizes.
    The sheets I bought were about $160 each and were about 2 meters x 2 and half metres (might have even been 3 metres, I honestly can't remember).
    Anyway cut to fit it took 2 sheets to do my standard double including tailgate. (And we had enough left over to use as generous sized rubber matts under 2 horses's feed bins in the stables :)

14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Avalon Stables in Midvale sell horse float rubber matting for $95 sheet.

We used 2 sheets for the extended float (Didn't use it at the front), worth its weight in gold.

15. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I also have Avalon stables rubber on my horse float. We did the whole float including the front & tailgate but I don't know how many sheets it took (was a while ago). It does weigh a bit though and has made the tailgate quite heavy (will have to invest in some new springs).

It is great though, no slipping. I have a horse at the moment who likes to pee in the float (actually waits until he gets on and does one :( )

16. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Just rang Avalon stables (I'm only meant to be working LOL) and they have a special on till end of Jan - the rubber float mats are only $50 each instead of $90.
    Just gotta work out how to get up there and snaffle 3 now... It's a bugger living in Narrogin sometimes.

17. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Wow that is great to know AnnaE - I am off to get some tomoz for the wash bay!

18. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

AnnaE do you know what the dimensions of the Avalon mats are ?

19. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

20. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Za Za they are 1.3m by 0.97m: according to OH (who does the technical stuff aoround here) we'd need 4 to do our extended float completely and 50 bucks is REALLY good value.