Roan?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by JessiTrist, Sep 18, 2008.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

How do I get her colour tested?

She doesnt have black points like a bay, more silvery. They look dirty even when she's clean!

See, this photo was taken after a LOT of scrubbing, I didnt even know if I should make up them because I wasnt sure what colour her legs are MEANT to be?
    [​IMG]

2. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

What breed is her dam? She is a cutie!

3. JessiTrist

Thanks! Dam is an Appy of unknown breeding. I have one photo of her (with Chickies baby butt in it) but it isnt too flattering.

[​IMG]

4. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Horse Testing - Equine Genetic Testing

i found that jess, you could probably at least find out what her base colour is(if shes a bay, or even a dun or buckskin) and if shes sabino or soemthing, might be worth getting a test

5. JessiTrist

Thanks Em, will check it out :)

6. Hi All!:)
    Cav, is the pic of your boy taken in winter? He looks like in his winter coat:) , which doesn't show a true classic roan color to its full potential.:) You say that the sire was a grey, not a roan:confused: are there any registered roans besides greys in his pedigree?
    We have been breeding roan horses for a while now.:) Roans are fun, they are never the same, their coats are constantly changing, they can go 2-3 shades darker or lighter.
    There are homozygous roans in AQHA. The test for Homo RN factor is being developed in the states and very soon will be avail to public.
    lena

7. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Lots of colour tests in the works at the moment, very exciting!! Even one for Lp (appy) should be getting closer too. Not one yet though.

Hey Jess your filly looks like a bay based to me, she has a black mane and tail and has at least some black at the bottom of her legs where there is no white socks. One of the fronts and one of the hinds. I think they call it 'wild' bay when the black points aren't so obvious.

If you wanted to test her though test her do the Black/Red test. If she's ee, she's chestnut, if she's Ee or EE then she's black or bay. The Agouti test is to see if she is bay or not.
    Cheers

Danni

8. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Dam is a paly leopard which means Chickie could be a buckskin and that in combination with whatever else she carries is creating her 'weird' colouring. Some buckskins do not have a lot of colour on their legs (just as some bays don't either) and she also has feathers which are white thus further diluting the dark points. Get her DNA'd for cream **).

Re the chestnut roan with the grey sire - the grey is obviously masking the roan. One of the most frustrating things with breed registrations is that the birth colour of greys is very rarely noted. :mad:

9. Tintara

How to DNA

How to DNA - if you go to this website: Animal Genetics you can download the forms for DNA testing and they come with instructions on what type of hair to collect (mane or tail hair with roots attached) and how to send it.

You can tell she carries at least one copy of agouti because she isn't black all over (agouti controls the distribution of black pigment through the coat in black based horses) and as her dam is red based she will also carry one copy of red (I betcha test results for red & agouti would come back Ee for red meaning she is black based with one copy of red and either AA or Aa for agouti meaning she is carrying either one or two copies of agouti).

Cream is the one I'd be going for given the colour of her dam. **)

Hope this helps.

10. Kintara

Ah well there you go, she's got a pally dam! So she's Bay or Buckskin! I think the red looks a little too red to be buckskin though? Mind you, she's appy. They do all sorts of strange things!!
    Cheers

Danni

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Yep his dad is grey and his mum was bay...go figure :) dont know about the rest of his lines but his full sister came out a chestnut roan too.

He always went darker in summer but yes that photo is winter coat but he never really changed colour at all. :) Good old Red.

He was always penalised in hacking for his colour but I proved them all wrong and got a 2nd place at the 1992 perth royal show in Pony Hack 13-13.2hh :)

12. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

13. JessiTrist

Hey Noelle, unfortunately she cant be registered as an appaloosa :(

Thanks everyone for their help, going to suss out the colour testing now!

14. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Coli/Cav, being that his sire was grey doesnt take away his sire's ability to carry the Roan gene, it was just hidden by his grey gene :)

15. Kintara

A bit off topic but shows weird colour changes on an appy, for those that might not have seen this horse before.

Appaloosa Sport Horse Ava More Photos

I've seen others that test black and look pally and all sorts of wied stuff!!
    Cheers

Danni

16. JessiTrist

They are some beautiful horses :)

I love Appys, wish I could register Chick!

17. Kintara

Ah some people seem to have this hang up that a bit of draft blood isn't so good for a horse, go figure?! ;)

We know that bit of draft just makes 'em better!! :)*

18. JessiTrist

Agree 100% **)

Well I have to, seeing Chickie is 50% clydie haha
    But thats what I wanted in a horse, and no doubt my next horse will be a draft aswell :)

19. JessiTrist

I wouldnt mind on of them patchy ones, rather than a spotty one next time! Hehe, I love ur DP :)

20. Tintara

Why don't you see if she is eligible for rego with the Combined Broken Coloured Horse & Pony Association. They register all coat patterns. Not sure about draft breeding though but worth an enquiry at least.